PDA

View Full Version : Perris welcomed me back BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!

Pete Marino
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Well after being at DVL since Feb I decided to make the switch back to Perris this week for the summer and I was greeted by the bass in a big way!!!

My plan for the day was simple...Throw topwater first thing then move deeper and fish some of my off shore structure spots...
The result was a day full of catching bass,lots of laughs and an all round good time..
We ended the day with about 30 bass.. With a big Bass of 7lbs.. we aslo had two 5 lbers and 4 bass in the 4 lb range...the rest were between 2- 3 1/2 lbs
we caught bass in 2-7ft of water in the morning then 30-42 ft from mid morning on..
We used the dropshot and carolina rigs and we also got fish on reaction baits deep...
The deep bite was awesome!! I found fish on my deep structure spots STACKED up and feeding aggressively...Heres a photo of what my graph looked like on one of my spots... :Shocked: I love my New Lowrance HDS7 graphs... Its like playing a video game...see the fish on the gragh and drop down to them and watch then bite your bait!! It was like sight fishing in 30-42 ft of water... About 15 seconds before I took this photo, the graph was literally covered with bass.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_6613.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_6612.jpg

Needless to say...WE WERE HAMMERING THOSE BASS... we got fish on spoons, IceJigs and Tailspins as well as plastics once the school broke up....then when they schooled back up again WE CRUSHED THEM AGAIN!!!!:Wink:

Here are a couple other random pics...

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_6611.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_6615.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_6617.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_6616.jpg

So if youre ready to experience a day of potentially great deep water Summer structure fishing and some morning topwater action check out my website and give me a call!! Its only going to get better from here...

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService.com

bassgrabber1
07-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Nice....welcome back to the P-bucket....my home away from home.

HawgZWylde
07-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Hellofa homecoming Pete! Very cool! But I have to ask, why do you not fish DVL mid-late summers? Is it because of the lack of the ability to "deliberately" go overboard at DVL?

bassgrabber1
07-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Hellofa homecoming Pete! Very cool! But I have to ask, why do you not fish DVL mid-late summers? Is it because of the lack of the ability to "deliberately" go overboard at DVL?No...its because there is no better fishing around in the summer than Lake Perris.

HawgZWylde
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
No...its because there is no better fishing around in the summer than Lake Perris.

Lol, I was kinda being sarcastic to Pete. I haven't been to Perris since the early 80's. The last time being a day they closed contact with the water due to fecal coli-form(does not affect the fishing). I had the family with me and it didn't bode well for the day. Right after that I moved to the central coast for over a decade and fished all the lakes in the area. I've been watching the reports here for sometime and you guys have a healthy fishery for sure. But I don't know, I do pretty well at DVL this time of year. Just can't fall, I mean jump, in the water and cool down. May have to come on over and visit you guys a time or two...

Pete Marino
07-12-2012, 05:57 PM
There are several reason I go to Perris during the Summer...

1. The grade of bass is bigger and more consistant during the summer in deep water at Perris then DVL. Dont get me wrong..DVL produces PIGS at night and SOME days but the day bite can be very tough when the Bass get locked onto the shad and the skies are bluebird with no wind..( Which is alot of days during the summer at DVL)

2. No algae bloom at Perris... DVL is on the verge of another one.. Some days the water is disgusting and the next it can be okay...I prefer to have it consistasnt.

3. If its hot and Im at Perris we can jump in the water.... At DVL you cant. (or at least were not supposed to)

4. Ive spent many many days at DVL since Feb and hitting another lake is simply a nice change of pace. It gets boring going to the same lake all the time especially knowing the bite is gonna be tough. I deal with that during the tournmaent season.. It nice to finally have it over and be able to hit other lakes with good bites going on.

5. I like the Bite at Perris during the Summer months... Topwater in the morning and deeper structure fishing from mid morning on with Carolina rigs, dropshot, spoons, IceJigs, tailspins and swimbaits..etc... And I wont lose a ton of tackle and lures in the process like at DVL.
6. Add together all those reasons with the fact that I live 1/2 mile from Perris makes it a no brainer for me...lol

A couple Summers ago at DVL I watched literally 400 boils around my boat in a 3 hour period...FOUR HUNDRED.. and we caught like 3 bass.. I was at Perris the following week and we saw 4 boils and caught 26 bass... Simply put they get too locked onto the shad at DVL and that day was complete glass/no wind and it was like 110 degrees...and I couldnt jump in to cool off...I vowed that it wouldnt happen again...hahaha

Pete

HawgZWylde
07-12-2012, 06:50 PM
"that day was complete glass/no wind and it was like 110 degrees...and I couldnt jump in to cool off...I vowed that it wouldnt happen again...hahaha"

Like Tuesday. It was so stinkin hot. I wanted so badly to "accidentally" fall in. We chose to take a break and create an artificial breeze by moving around metering spots for when the breeze finally kicked in. And it did, but it was still hot as h***. Spoons? Lol, I thought I was one of the last guys still using those. Old school indeed, but still deadly effective. I'm going to talk to my partner and see if he'll go for it. He's fairly new to this and is quite comfortable at DVL. But he DOES like to swim. Does one still have to wait 7 dry days after boating Perris to get onto DVL. There is no quagga at Perris right?

bassgrabber1
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
"that day was complete glass/no wind and it was like 110 degrees...and I couldnt jump in to cool off...I vowed that it wouldnt happen again...hahaha"

Like Tuesday. It was so stinkin hot. I wanted so badly to "accidentally" fall in. We chose to take a break and create an artificial breeze by moving around metering spots for when the breeze finally kicked in. And it did, but it was still hot as h***. Spoons? Lol, I thought I was one of the last guys still using those. Old school indeed, but still deadly effective. I'm going to talk to my partner and see if he'll go for it. He's fairly new to this and is quite comfortable at DVL. But he DOES like to swim. Does one still have to wait 7 dry days after boating Perris to get onto DVL. There is no quagga at Perris right?

For those that know ....spoons produce at the right time at Perris ....even jigging Krocodiles. I dont care what anyone says...there are quaggas in all our So Cal Lakes!

Pete Marino
07-12-2012, 09:45 PM
No quagggas have been found at Perris, nor DVL. And if DVL had them they would have been found when they lowered the lake the 105+ ft that they did about 18 months ago..
Quaggas and Zebra mussels spread very rapidly and they cover almost everything in sight from rock to rock walls to wood, sticks branches, dock pillings dock lines cables etc etc... They would be found in both Perris and DVL if they were there yet..
At Lakes that do have the mussels like Mead and Havasu or even El Cap and other infected San Diego lakes you can clearly see the mussels attatched to everything even if the water goes down 3ft. Like I said, if it was on DVL or Perris we'd know it...Guaranteed.
There IS an inspection process at Perris but its no where near as stringent as DVL. They dont make you lower your motor at Perris which is nice. They just do a quick look and make sure there isnt any standing water...
Castaic accepts Perris tags which is good because Im going to Castaic tomorrow night with my bro for the NBW FOCL tournament..should be fun. Then Ill get the Castaic tag which is good at Perris as well. I confirmed that today..

As far as spoons/spooning It is a VERY popular technique at Perris during the Winter and everybody that goes there does it..because simply put, if you arent spooning and Ice Jigging during a tournament in the Winter youre gonna get beat... I also use it during the Summer as a warm up for the oct, Nov Dec and Jan bite.. The bass stack up during the Summer and they feed aggressively so its a great way to learn and gain confidence in the whole vertical spooning techniques.

tagg27
07-12-2012, 11:15 PM
That pic of your graph is crazy. I just put in a Hummingbird 345c DI and love it. Still trying to figure out how to use everything. Now I just need to find a graph full of bass like yours. Nice welcome home party to say the least.

Pete Marino
07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Tagg... you should have seen the graph about 30 seconds before I took this picture...It was rediculous!!! Probably 100 feeding bass under my transducer!! CRAZY!!

Pete