PDA

View Full Version : First Post! Huntington Pier 7-6

Doomsdaymachine
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM
First time posting!

Went out to Balboa with my fiance and a friend on the fourth; barely missed a skunk. I caught a lizard, and my fiance brought in two. She had a lot of fun with it, though, so we decided to try again. Hit Huntington pier on Friday, sometime close to 3:00p. Actually, we got there well before but parking was a disaster. Anyhow, we made the hike to the end of the pier and set up our gear. Couple of buddies met us there to dunk some bait, and we all caught.

I set my fiance up with a sabiki to see if we couldn't make some bait, and fixed the rest of us with dropshot. Squid and chovies went without so much as a taste, but as soon as we switched to mack, the bites came in steadily.

I managed to land a few lizards, one on a croc almost as big as he was. Caught a couple juvie BSP and a jacksmelt.

My buddies brought in some lizards and BSP, and one caught a young sand bass.

My fiance caught two macks, two lizards, three young BSP, a smelt, and the catch of the day. She tossed out her sabiki, smallest in the shop, sweetened with some tiny slivers of mack. Dropped it straight down and had a nibble without much wait. She gave it a good tug and it looked good (thought it may be another lizard), so I went back to fishing. As soon as I looked away, I heard, "...Woah. ...Woah, WOAHWOAH!" I turned to look and her cheapie lightweight rod was doubled back on itself as the fish discovered that the food was biting back. After a neat little fight, we got it up to the pier, and there I stood, geeking out. 13.5" sand bass on a TINY piece of mack on a TINY sabiki.

Fun times, but it was chilly. Water was still cool, bite was still mild. Saw a bunch of croaker coming up on the shallow side, and saw a baby leopard on the way out. Must've been seven, maybe eight inches. A real cutie.

Anyways, I'll post a pic to make this thread legit in a bit. We're going back out tomorrow (hopefully), so we'll see what happens.

bones
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
First of all WELCOME tp the FNN Family Mr Doomsday.....Please tell me that you don't work at a nuclear facility:ROFL:
Nice first report and there doesn't have to be pics in order to share here but it would be nice to see your GF's catch of the day. I've never seen a sand bass hit a sabiki.....That's awesome and quite a surprise and it must have been good for her ego to out fish the boys!
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Looking forward to seeing more reports from you soon.

Tight lines always------<><

Mike

SP Dan
07-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi ya Doomsdaymachine,

Welcome to the FFN site and thanks for the report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Re8elmonk0341
07-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey welcome to the addiction! Lookin' forward to many more post and make yourself at home. Oh btw, we're all meanies and don't like to share tips, advice, and fishing spots hahaha
:LOL:

Doomsdaymachine
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the warm reception!

First of all WELCOME tp the FNN Family Mr Doomsday.....Please tell me that you don't work at a nuclear facility:ROFL:
Nice first report and there doesn't have to be pics in order to share here but it would be nice to see your GF's catch of the day. I've never seen a sand bass hit a sabiki.....That's awesome and quite a surprise and it must have been good for her ego to out fish the boys!

A sad day for mankind if I ever got a job at a nuclear plant. lol!
I'll have to ask my friend for the pics again tomorrow. Havin' a hard time getting them out on this end. As for the sandie on the sabiki, it seriously tripped me out. Definitely the last thing I expected to see on the end of that line. The last couple times we've been out, she's outfished everyone. XD I think that's one of the reasons shelikes it so much.

Welcome to the FFN site and thanks for the report! :Cool:

Thanks, Dan!

Hey welcome to the addiction! Lookin' forward to many more post and make yourself at home. Oh btw, we're all meanies and don't like to share tips, advice, and fishing spots hahaha
:LOL:

Yo! I've been fishing all my life (My first job was on the 'Special out of KH), but I never knew there was a SoCal fishing forum! Love this place. Oh, and I can tell how mean and miser-like you all are, what with all of the "Fish here, with this gear, at this time and with this kind of...hell, I'll just go out and fish with you!" posts. :Big Smile: