PDA

View Full Version : Tips? Fishing in Palos Verdes by terranea hotel on saturday

flyhigh123
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
My family is staying at the Terranea hotel for a night for work. I was thinking of bringing a rod and seeing what kind of fishing I could do around that area. I would be fishing from the shore.

Any tips on bait, hooks, type of fish there? I dont fish the saltwater very much as i'm further inland.

Maybe some cut squid and 8lb line?

Thanks for the help and will post results!

bsp
07-10-2012, 07:22 PM
You'd be fishing in an illegal closed MLPA area, so major poacher points if you go ahead with your plan.

Check out the regs before you fish the salt. Key differences in freshwater with all the recent MLPA closure areas, and the DFG is active in the area.

Best bet would be to drive North and hit RAT beach or Redondo Beach. Read this thread and you'll be good to go on the perch and croakers.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

flyhigh123
07-10-2012, 08:59 PM
well def dont want to get in trouble lol... i was reading and it said south of that point "abalone cove" is fishable? is that right?

bsp
07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Yes, but good luck finding convenient access. Be prepared to hike quite a ways on the trails (can easily slip and break an ankle if you aren't careful), and there is pretty much no sandy beach. Very rocky (you will get snagged constantly), and the area gets pounded by swells most of the time. If you've never fished the surf before and aren't used to fishing those conditions, it will be an exercise in frustration, especially bait and wait style. The reason I suggested RAT or Redondo is that they are sandy beaches with easy access and are currently holding a nice amount of perch and croakers, which are easy to target with bait.

Mischief
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
You'd be fishing in an illegal closed MLPA area, so major poacher points if you go ahead with your plan.

Check out the regs before you fish the salt. Key differences in freshwater with all the recent MLPA closure areas, and the DFG is active in the area.

Best bet would be to drive North and hit RAT beach or Redondo Beach. Read this thread and you'll be good to go on the perch and croakers.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

He said Terranea resort, not point vicente and abalone cove. major fail points,..

you'll be cool dude, try to get some squid or drive to san Pedro to get some ghost shrimp at Pauls bait and tackle,..

Yes, but good luck finding convenient access. Be prepared to hike quite a ways on the trails (can easily slip and break an ankle if you aren't careful), and there is pretty much no sandy beach. Very rocky (you will get snagged constantly), and the area gets pounded by swells most of the time. If you've never fished the surf before and aren't used to fishing those conditions, it will be an exercise in frustration, especially bait and wait style. The reason I suggested RAT or Redondo is that they are sandy beaches with easy access and are currently holding a nice amount of perch and croakers, which are easy to target with bait.

theres a paved walkway straight from the resort to the little beach there :LOL: hope he doesn't hurt himself walking on a pavement,..

flyhigh123
07-11-2012, 09:39 PM
thanks for tips. Maybe i'll pick up a cast master and cast that a bit too.... or some of those grubs?