PDA

View Full Version : Corona 7/9-Entry fee price ridiculous

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Went out on 7/9. Absolutely horrible. Plus the entry fee has gone up. In these hard economic times, you RAISE the entry fee Corona? Way to look out for your customers. $33 to float tube your lake is OUTRAGEOUS. No other lake charges that much. Not DVL, Lake Lerris, Irvine, nowhere. Get your priorities in check Corona.

No wonder Im not seeing as many reports. Nobody is going there. Less fish and higher prices. Great business model.

fishermanx14
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
amd i though irvine was bad......

Bogus14
07-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Went out on 7/9. Absolutely horrible. Plus the entry fee has gone up. In these hard economic times, you RAISE the entry fee Corona? Way to look out for your customers. $33 to float tube your lake is OUTRAGEOUS. No other lake charges that much. Not DVL, Lake Lerris, Irvine, nowhere. Get your priorities in check Corona.

No wonder Im not seeing as many reports. Nobody is going there. Less fish and higher prices. Great business model.
I posted " Corona Suggestion" couple days ago and fishinglakes responded that the only reason rates have gone up is because of fish per pound cost. Believe me your not the only one complaining about these ridiculous prices. After all the money I've spent with Corona Lake I probably could of put some kids through college.

Norma Stitz
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
DVL doesnt charge that much to tube???....im gonna drink lots of beer out there and make warm water

Leejahd
07-10-2012, 11:02 AM
The fee's have gone up a bit and it does take a big hit out the wallet. It just like the price of gas everything has to go up eventually maybe not a big increase. The float tube launch should have stayed the same in my opinion. Why up the price on that? But also let me tell you this there is fish in there a lot! You just have to find them. I went out Friday and limited out under 3 hours.

Here's the report maybe it will help you locate the fish
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?65558-Corona-Lake-7-6-Easy-Limit!

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I posted " Corona Suggestion" couple days ago and fishinglakes responded that the only reason rates have gone up is because of fish per pound cost. Believe me your not the only one complaining about these ridiculous prices. After all the money I've spent with Corona Lake I probably could of put some kids through college.

Interesting argument by Corona, but why wouldn't Irvine raise their rates? They buy fish too. Have their prices not gone up?

Also, Irvine makes it free to tube. Corona charges $8. Why not make it free at Corona?

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
DVL doesnt charge that much to tube???....im gonna drink lots of beer out there and make warm water

I know I can't tube at DVL. My point was I can pay entry, launch fee AND a tag for under what Corona charges. Now THAT'S ridiculous.

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
The fee's have gone up a bit and it does take a big hit out the wallet. It just like the price of gas everything has to go up eventually maybe not a big increase. The float tube launch should have stayed the same in my opinion. Why up the price on that? But also let me tell you this there is fish in there a lot! You just have to find them. I went out Friday and limited out under 3 hours.

Here's the report maybe it will help you locate the fish
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?65558-Corona-Lake-7-6-Easy-Limit!

Good job on catching them.

Even if I limited, I still would think the prices are outrageous. Just not worth it.

Leejahd
07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I would love to see float tube launch for free at corona!

angelsfan951
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
it really does suck that prices went up but the fish are there just have to find them. i don't own a float tube or a boat so every time i go i have to RENT so its much more worse for me. shore lines are completely dead

Bogus14
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
it really does suck that prices went up but the fish are there just have to find them. i don't own a float tube or a boat so every time i go i have to RENT so its much more worse for me. shore lines are completely dead

2 or 3 years ago they were doing 9.99 friday night fishing. 29.99 24hr fishing. Now that times are harder prices go up. I started fishing Corona in 2007-2008 and the gate fee was still $20 to get in. I think it was 2010 when it went up again to $22. Now in 2012 its $25. What does that tell you, by 2014 it might jump to $27?

white belt
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM
So how did you do? Skunk?

flyhigh123
07-10-2012, 02:58 PM
A new business plan which hopefully some of these lakes adopt which i think is the most profitable, think Gym Membership.

X dollars per month, unlimited visits, ( monthly limits), this automatically bills the CC on file, 1 year membership etc. Money maker right there since many people will miss a month here and there etc...

try it out and if you use it, commission me :D

white belt
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Flyhigh that model would not work for fishing lakes, unless the fish were spawning fast enough to keep up. Gym equipment last forever, once a fish is caught you have to pay to replace it. They should make money by increasing foot traffic with promos and such, then make the money back through the tackle shop or open a tiny cafe on the property so it becomes a one stop shop and people stay all day, spending their money.

fishinglakes.com
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
2 or 3 years ago they were doing 9.99 friday night fishing. 29.99 24hr fishing. Now that times are harder prices go up. I started fishing Corona in 2007-2008 and the gate fee was still $20 to get in. I think it was 2010 when it went up again to $22. Now in 2012 its $25. What does that tell you, by 2014 it might jump to $27?

Back when we charged a $20 Entrance Fee the price of fish was around $2.40 per pound. Now, the price of fish is nearly $4.00 per pound for stockers and much more for large fish. So it's not that hard to figure out why the price had to go up a few dollars. A 5 fish limit of 3 pound fish = 15 pounds. 15 pounds x $4 = a $60 value in fish, and we only charge $25 to catch $60 in fish... So our decision was easy, raise the price a little like every other business has to do to stay in business or stock less fish, we went with the first choice, and will continue to heavily stock fish 2 times each week. Thanks for fishing our Lakes, so we can continue stocking EACH and EVERY week.

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Back when we charged a $20 Entrance Fee the price of fish was around $2.40 per pound. Now, the price of fish is nearly $4.00 per pound for stockers and much more for large fish. So it's not that hard to figure out why the price had to go up a few dollars. A 5 fish limit of 3 pound fish = 15 pounds. 15 pounds x $4 = a $60 value in fish, and we only charge $25 to catch $60 in fish... So our decision was easy, raise the price a little like every other business has to do to stay in business or stock less fish, we went with the first choice, and will continue to heavily stock fish 2 times each week. Thanks for fishing our Lakes, so we can continue stocking EACH and EVERY week.

Let's cut the BS and get real here Corona. We all know your competition is Irvine lake. Simple question for you. How come you have to raise rates because of increase in fish costs but Irvine doesn't?

fishinglakes.com
07-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Let's cut the BS and get real here Corona. We all know your competition is Irvine lake. Simple question for you. How come you have to raise rates because of increase in fish costs but Irvine doesn't?

It costs a lot of money to consistently stock a lot of fish... This is the best and only reply I can give to you.
Thanks!!

Bogus14
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Thats assuming you catch your limit. But alot of people are paying ,lets assume family of 4 day fishing, $100 entrance , pantoon $100 plus bait and other items from the shop. Thats well over $200 and to catch only 2 fish, Which I'm not saying its the lakes fault for not catching fish. I'm just saying assuming John Doe and family caught two 3lb fish at $5 dollars. The lake is still making $170 plus from this one scenario. So I truly doubt corona is losing money.

Thisfool
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM

come on guys they are running a business and in the world of business some times prices go up. The competition is going do what it has to do to keep an edge.

but lets brake it down.

Irvine is closed Tuesday, does not have night fishing except for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

SARL/CORONA is open every day and has night fishing every night.

right there in just the cost of payroll explains why Irvine rates have not gone up. let alone utilitys.

i consider Irvine my home lake and i love Irvine lake.I have had plenty of conversations with Irvine lake staff about what the competition is doing and what there doing to compete with them and if Irvine dint sacrifice there hours of operation there prices would have gone up also.

so in short SARL/CORONA is doing what it thinks is right to provide its customers with the best possible fishing experience. so give them a brake

Perris Bluegill Chaser
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
well said.....
come on guys they are running a business and in the world of business some times prices go up. The competition is going do what it has to do to keep an edge.

but lets brake it down.

Irvine is closed Tuesday, does not have night fishing except for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

SARL/CORONA is open every day and has night fishing every night.

right there in just the cost of payroll explains why Irvine rates have not gone up. let alone utilitys.

i consider Irvine my home lake and i love Irvine lake.I have had plenty of conversations with Irvine lake staff about what the competition is doing and what there doing to compete with them and if Irvine dint sacrifice there hours of operation there prices would have gone up also.

so in short SARL/CORONA is doing what it thinks is right to provide its customers with the best possible fishing experience. so give them a brake

Marley
07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
When I first started fishing SARL it cost $7 to get through the gates. There wasn't a Corona Lake, at least one that was open to fishing. Gas was about 90 cents a gallon, diesel was cheaper than that. They planted a lot of fish, just like they do now. I can't clearly remember but I think they had yet to buy the concession at Irvine Lake.
We have been conditioned to expect dollar menus and 99-cent everything at Walmart. That's not real. Costs go up and with them, prices.
If you want to buy fish, Albertson's has catfish fillets for about $5 per pound. Quick, easy, already cleaned and you can pick up a pound (and a bag of Louisiana Fish Fry) at 8 am, go play some cards and still have fish for dinner. If you prefer seeing your fish swimming, 99 Ranch Market has live catfish for about $7 per pound. Wanna know a secret about those fish?
I hear (read "understand") everyone's issue with rising costs. I like to fish tuna, the longer the trip the better. Care to hazard a guess at costs to do that? My last trip was quite a while ago because I just can't justify the cost. I miss it terribly but I'm not crying over it. When I fish the local lakes I, too, rent a boat. In my opinion, the $3 increase in price is no big deal when compared to the overall cost of the trip. I'm paying for the lake to plant fish (which bite IF they want to and IF I do the right things after finding them), for the convenience of fishing close to home and for allowing me to enjoy my day (or half day) away from life's little tittie twisters.
I have never been treated badly at SARL or Corona Lake, something I can't say about Irvine. And if I decide that any of them is too expensive for me to visit, then I will stop visiting them. If enough people do that, management may decide to lower the price back down and plant fewer fish to compensate.
When all of this is said and done, who wants to bet me that when trout season rolls around, not only Irvine but Laguna Niguel as well will have $25 gate fees?
Holy cow, I sounds like a grumpy old coot. I need to go fishing!

flyhigh123
07-10-2012, 10:17 PM
let supply and demand set itself. if the price increase works, it'll only benefit the fisherman;s in the long run...

more money== more cash flow== more stocking== better results

however, if no one pays to fish== less fish== worse results

so the economics will prove itself soon to come. if you dont want to fish there, go to irvine lake, however if u prefer corona and are willing to pay more, than that in itself speaks for itself

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 10:49 PM
let supply and demand set itself. if the price increase works, it'll only benefit the fisherman;s in the long run...

more money== more cash flow== more stocking== better results

however, if no one pays to fish== less fish== worse results

so the economics will prove itself soon to come. if you dont want to fish there, go to irvine lake, however if u prefer corona and are willing to pay more, than that in itself speaks for itself

I think you need to retake Economics. Your reasoning is off.

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM
When I first started fishing SARL it cost $7 to get through the gates. There wasn't a Corona Lake, at least one that was open to fishing. Gas was about 90 cents a gallon, diesel was cheaper than that. They planted a lot of fish, just like they do now. I can't clearly remember but I think they had yet to buy the concession at Irvine Lake.
We have been conditioned to expect dollar menus and 99-cent everything at Walmart. That's not real. Costs go up and with them, prices.
If you want to buy fish, Albertson's has catfish fillets for about $5 per pound. Quick, easy, already cleaned and you can pick up a pound (and a bag of Louisiana Fish Fry) at 8 am, go play some cards and still have fish for dinner. If you prefer seeing your fish swimming, 99 Ranch Market has live catfish for about $7 per pound. Wanna know a secret about those fish?
I hear (read "understand") everyone's issue with rising costs. I like to fish tuna, the longer the trip the better. Care to hazard a guess at costs to do that? My last trip was quite a while ago because I just can't justify the cost. I miss it terribly but I'm not crying over it. When I fish the local lakes I, too, rent a boat. In my opinion, the $3 increase in price is no big deal when compared to the overall cost of the trip. I'm paying for the lake to plant fish (which bite IF they want to and IF I do the right things after finding them), for the convenience of fishing close to home and for allowing me to enjoy my day (or half day) away from life's little tittie twisters.
I have never been treated badly at SARL or Corona Lake, something I can't say about Irvine. And if I decide that any of them is too expensive for me to visit, then I will stop visiting them. If enough people do that, management may decide to lower the price back down and plant fewer fish to compensate.
When all of this is said and done, who wants to bet me that when trout season rolls around, not only Irvine but Laguna Niguel as well will have $25 gate fees?
Holy cow, I sounds like a grumpy old coot. I need to go fishing!

I respect your post. Just a couple comments. First, it's more than a $3 hike if you float tube. Your point of it not being that much is true....until you compound that if you fish more than once a week at Corona. Then it really adds up. That's how businesses "get" the consumer is the argument "Well, it's not THAT much more."

My point is exactly the last part of your post. If enough people don't go because of the rate hike, Corona will lower it and stock less fish. I think that needs to be done. The shores are dead. Business is slow. Time to make a change.

What happens when they keep stocking the same and people stop going? Raise the rates again for the few that do go?

At some point you have to do something different.

flyhigh123
07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I think you need to retake Economics. Your reasoning is off.

How so? Seems right to me.

Surfnsnowboard3
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
How so? Seems right to me.

The variables are wrong. But I won't debate that on here cuz it's beside the point.

bassoholic
07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
The variables are wrong. But I won't debate that on here cuz it's beside the point.

Stop going..........Let them stock and stock and stock at 5 bucks a pound. If no one goes they have to lower their prices. Plenty of other places to fish that are MUCH cheaper.

fishinglakes.com
07-11-2012, 01:32 AM
I respect your post. Just a couple comments. First, it's more than a $3 hike if you float tube. Your point of it not being that much is true....until you compound that if you fish more than once a week at Corona. Then it really adds up. That's how businesses "get" the consumer is the argument "Well, it's not THAT much more."

My point is exactly the last part of your post. If enough people don't go because of the rate hike, Corona will lower it and stock less fish. I think that needs to be done.

Surfnsnowboard3, if you are looking for lakes that stock a lot less fish and cost a few dollars less to fish, you have many lakes to choose from, so pick one and go. But we will NOT, begin skimping on our fish stocking over a few dollars. Fishermen want to catch fish when they come to our Lakes, so we will continue doing what we know works best, and that's to stock a lot of fish. We have always belived that it's better to explain price once, than to apologize about quality for life.

BTW, thank you for all the interesting business acumen you so generously provide...but we can take it from here.

Marley
07-11-2012, 06:45 AM
...BTW, thank you for all the interesting business acumen you so generously provide...but we can take it from here...

Sounds good. Just please, don't send us back to the days of OSI...

kendo
07-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Pay the money to go to get away from the wife and kids..or dont pay and stay home with them. I mean its your choice why cry???? If you want to fish cheap why not head to the beach, puddingstone, santa fe dam, and or any other lake that has lower stocking rates and lower prices? It seems to me that your belly aching is just that you love going to this lake so much that you feel you have a right to cry about it...dont go someone will go in your place. I will gladly pay 25$ to get the hell out of my house and have a better chance of catching 1000 fish compared to a state park where I might have the chance to catch 100 fish. I hate SARL and I love SARL. Ive been skunked there the last 3 trips but I keep going back..why?? the challenge isnt that what fishing is all about? My 2 pennies.

Haywood Jablome
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
every time i go, i can only catch 2 fish max, most times none. How come the admission price is the same for morning and evening? you get way more fishing time in the morning as opposed to the evening

Bogus14
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Alot of people are saying why cry about it, to go somewhere else. In my defense corona is my first choice to fish. I love it there. I have alot of wonderful memories there since I've been going since 2006. I feel I have paid my dues enough to sit here and whine about the price hike. You guys also have to remember, Corona Lake has alot of regulars that are NOT on this thread posting their opinion. I'm pretty sure they're not happy but also choose to keep fishing the Lake. I just wish Corona would promote something like $15 fishing Sunday Summer Nights or something like that. Something that would show a little more appreciation to the fisherman that keep them in business. I guarantee business would be booming with that type of promo. Does anyone agree?

acquadigio626
07-11-2012, 09:28 AM
i second that...

fishinglakes.com
07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
We have specials all the time. There is one going on right now for Corona Lake, but we promote them through our "Big News" email. You can save $5 off entry, $10 off boat/motor and $20 a pontoon with the coupon. If you are not subscribed to our weekly email, you will not know about. We will be doing a lot more in the future, with the development of the new website we are currently building.

Big Daddy
07-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Alot of people are saying why cry about it, to go somewhere else. In my defense corona is my first choice to fish. I love it there. I have alot of wonderful memories there since I've been going since 2006. I feel I have paid my dues enough to sit here and whine about the price hike. You guys also have to remember, Corona Lake has alot of regulars that are NOT on this thread posting their opinion. I'm pretty sure they're not happy but also choose to keep fishing the Lake. I just wish Corona would promote something like $15 fishing Sunday Summer Nights or something like that. Something that would show a little more appreciation to the fisherman that keep them in business. I guarantee business would be booming with that type of promo. Does anyone agree?

No I don't agree. Should the staff have to work for half there normal wage for sunday evening (who is gong to pay them). Why don't you go to work this week and tell your boss that you are going to work 1 day a week at half your normal wage because you think he should reduce his rates for his client's because he is charging to much (good luck). They have to charge what they do as explained so many times before. Some of you complain about not catching any fish so that is why they keep having to buy more fish thus the increase to (give you guy's) that don't catch very many for one reason or another. And then you will read about others saying that they limit out in 2 to 3 hours because of so many fish that are in the lakes. Then you have the guy's that catch coolers full and take more than there limits, all of this contributes to the cost increase. They would never raise the price higher than there competitors if they didn't have to (this is common since) if they didn't have to. They are doing the best they can to # 1 stay in business, #2 to give the best product that they can for the consumer.

Some complain that the amount is to much when you fish 2 or three times a week when some are happy to pay to have a chance at 1 time per week. We are spoiled my friends. I for one love fishing Corona and am anticipating Anihiem lake will also be great if I can fish with my boat. I have been to sarl to take a look but did not like what I seen and have never fished there ever but, have many friends that love the place and that is alright not everthing or every lake is for everyone.

Once again they would never increase ther price above their cometitors if they didn't have to (they are much smarter than that guy's) My 2 penny's

BD

Haywood Jablome
07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
theres like 1 person who works in the evening, @ corona(brad) and i dont think they pay that security guy much, he just presses a play button on a loud speaker and drives around

Big Daddy
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
theres like 1 person who works in the evening, @ corona(brad) and i dont think they pay that security guy much, he just presses a play button on a loud speaker and drives around

Sorry Guy's they said they are doing the best that they can. Come trout season the cars will be to the Highway again. It's just the way it is.

phishin phool
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Corona lake supply catfish from THEIR own "Imperial Catsfish farm?"

Big Daddy
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Corona lake supply catfish from THEIR own "Imperial Catsfish farm?"

It still has a cost associated with raising them, if you can sell them somewhere for $4.00 per # but you keep them then they still cost you $4.00 per pound and I am sure this is with trucking, fuel, and all expences paid figured in and as Marley said you can head over to Food for Less and purchase them and would never have to even have to spend the day at a lake. 10 hrs at the lake for $25.00, $2.50 an hour is pretty reasonable entrtainment now days look at a movie or even a ball game for that matter.

fishinglakes.com
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Yes we sure do, and the price for our catfish is the same for our fishing lakes as any other lake. Actually, more because the Blue Catfish we stock cost more to raise. We bought the farm to insure that we would always have catfish. There are a lot of lakes that can't get any, or are paying $5.00 to $8.00 and more per pound because of the extreme catfish shortage. Some lakes have been lucky to get any fish. Imperial Catfish turns away requests to sell catfish every day. Don't be surprised in the very near future, if many lakes do not have any catfish.

------------------------

Thank you everyone for your support. I am done with replys, I have too much work to get done and can't spend any more time answering what has already been answered.
Again, thanks!!

Leejahd
07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Corona lake I have one question for you. Why raise the price of float tube launch? And why not make it free like Irvine lake?

white belt
07-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Who are these "some lakes"? Your answer to most of the questions is well "some lakes" are worse than we are so tpugh. Who are you talking about because I actually see the same quality fish being caught at other lakes and I rarely see a "skunked @irvine" report. Getting skunked at Corona or SARL seems like the norm.

white belt
07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
You know what's funny? I was reading back on the math posted by the lakes admin and their reasoning is that each person will catch $60 of fish and it costs them $25 to stock those fish. Well if that was truly the case you guys would have closed your business down already. Every good businessman knows that gross profit should be about 3x that of production costs. So basically, this more fish for us to catch argument is bogus. Corona and SARL expect each fisherman to either get skunked or catch 1-2 fish. If this wasnt their mentality they wouldnt have been open all these years. If you want to make it all about the $$$ then at least be real about it.

Carptain_Bao
07-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Just sayin', they claim their stocking average is 3lb per fish, but from what I've seen it's more like 1.5 lb per fish... But at Irvine the fish we caught ranges from 2 to 6, which is better. I just hope the stocking quality gets better.

white belt
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Just sayin', they claim their stocking average is 3lb per fish, but from what I've seen it's more like 1.5 lb per fish... But at Irvine the fish we caught ranges from 2 to 6, which is better. I just hope the stocking quality gets better.

This is true too. The catfish ok they are rare and expensive, but does that mean you will lower the price when trout season comes around? Because I know you guys are not paying that much for those little 1/2-1lb trout. And if you're not lowering prices for trout, there goes another hole in your argument.

seal
07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Every buisness puts a price on it's product based on their own determination of what the market will allow and what is necessary to hit the profits they desire. If the lakes have made a mistake they will find out about it, if not then they will be successful, simple stuff.

The only mistake I think they are making at this point is getting into a discussion on the Internet regarding the pricing of their product. They will never win this discussion and neither will you guys, it is not in their best interest to disclose profit and loss nor their overhead costs, it really is none of you guys buisness, nothing wrong with being upset and discussing it on here but I think they are making a BIG mistake trying to respond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kill um all Seal "Undersized Largemouth specialist"
Brigadier Private no class
BUCKET BRIGADE REPRESENT!!!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/BUCKET.png

www.bucketbrigadeer.com
Chasing stocking trux and bustin capz. That's how we roll!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/group.php?groupid=32

Haywood Jablome
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Corona lake I have one question for you. Why raise the price of float tube launch? And why not make it free like Irvine lake?

they know the fishing is better out i the water, either you rent their boat or pay a fee to launch your own craft...