View Full Version : SWAT-PART DUEX or GO BIG OR GO HOME

Which Way Out
07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
SWAT Report for 7/7-7/8
On the water; 0530 aka Dark 30
Plan; EDIT Un-Classified Ellwood, Yes Mikey and I are the one's who found it
Air temp, Water temp, Tide, Swell bla bla bla bla
AO; In the water, by the bait receiver:Wink:
Hot Stick on Sunday was the 8' SEEKER Classic Series. First good fish on that rod. Worked perfect!

Lets just start off by saying for the past few weeks Mikey (aka EXFACTOR) and I have been patrolling the ocean every weekend in one form or another. I took the weekend off before the July 4th and could not be happier that I did. Why? Well that kept me available for this past weekends mission.

"Go here, or go there". That's what Mike said while on the ride to the harbor. I do listen, even thought I am "Uncoachable":Wink:
We tossed the idea around and decided to ( Classified ) and so that's what we decided to do.....................

Plans being what they are, sometimes get changed.
We were motoring along enjoying the heavy fog for awhile when all of a sudden we got a warning from the engine in the way of an audible alarm. So we shut down the engine. Checked this and that. No reason to go into details here. But we knew we were dead in the water.
Another boater was kind enough to assist with the issue and we were on our way. Just not the way we had planned. We couldn't get the engine to produce enough power to get on plane and the motor sounded pretty sick.

So we anchored and Mike got out the Sabiki and got some bait coming on board and I joined in. We had already picked up some outside the harbor.

Lesson here folks!!! Stop and Fish or find out what kind of bait is nearby? Sure we could of just started fishing with the bait we had. The wrong bait, or at least not the correct bait...

So Mike is jigging away when he said, "Squid" Just One word. I looked over and saw the biggest grin in along time. I knew he knew what it meant. I remember last years trip. Squid is Golden.

Next thing you know we are putting on squid like crazy. It's everywhere on the meter. Deep, Shallow you name it. We parked right on top of a Colossal squid spawn and not another boat in site. The guys that helped us out were long gone and we were just sitting there alone hoping to get our PART DUEX story. And boy did we.:Shocked:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part Duex The Epic Story Starts Here.

How do you write a Epic Story! Well you have to be lucky enough to have experienced one that's for sure.

On Sat. 7/7/2012 we got smoked by the first two fish. Just plain beat us up. Breaking 65 pound braid without to much effort. Were they Threshers who knows. We never saw any all weekend. Were they big WSB, just maybe. At the time we didn't know for sure what we had parked on top of. Sure we knew squid were there by the TONS, but were the Ghost there as well, only time will tell.

It's hard to recall all the details of how it went down, like who caught the first fish even. This was on Sat. This story goes well into Sunday also.

Low and behold WSB start hitting the deck. Hook up here, clear the rods, gaff the fish and reset. Do it again and again. Even a double hook up one time.

I read Wingnuts report of Sunday. I really like how Mike handed the gaff to him so he could gaff his own fish. Well that happen to me as well. Just wasn't the same way. I was hooked up and Mikey had cleared most of the rods when all of a sudden one gets bit. A double hook up going. Mike has his at the other end of the boat and I have mine near the side. I Slid the fish up, reached behind me for the gaff and hit the right spot. That was the best thing knowing I was able to pull that off. I knew Mike was on a real big fish and I didn't want to jeopardize that by yelling gaff. You just gotta get it done....It was sooooo cool.

So I lay my fish on the deck and got over to help Mike with his. Wouldn't you know it, IT's Huge!! Taped out at 53" Big fish for the day.
I don't know how to end the WSB story for Sat. other than we had our limits by 1:30 and the engine started. Although it only ran at idle. So we limped on back to the harbor at 2.1 mph for several hours
So were are cruising along at bounce ball speed, so why not see if we can toss a 50 lb Halibut on top of the cooler to hold the WSB down.:Cool: We tried, but Poseidon said you guys have enough.

Sat. Catch
6-WSB Limits for 2 people
Big Fish 53"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday Report 7/8
This day is a day to remember for many reason's. Because not only was the fishing fantastic but it was the 2nd anniversary of Dana's passing. Thanks to Mikey and Arthur for bringing that to my attention.

The trip on Sunday started out with a huge surprise. I was doing my thing getting ready and unloading my Jeep when this knuckle head pulls in right behind where I was standing. Its not even 5 o clock yet and it startled me. I turned around and its Arthur. For once I beat him to the location. LOL
Mike barks out some orders and off we go. Mike and Arthur are going to be with Jerry in his boat and I will be with George in his boat.
No reason to go into the boat trip story.

We arrived at same time at the same AO as Sat. Got some bait on board and then set out the gear.

Kinda of started off slow, but slowly picked up. Well for everyone else that is. We had a total of 4 boats with us. All good buddies of Mikes. Everyone is getting bit, putting fish on board. George and I were anchored dead center of the group and were getting skunked. So George decided to lift the anchor and drift around. So not much longer than 5 minutes of drifting I hooked up. Not on my rod but one that I was using. The fish goes ripping off line, the drag is NOT real tight and after awhile snap, no more fish. I felt the same thing as I did on Sat. when Mike and I lost the first 2 that broke off. Hummm.

Reset and do the drift again. Hooked up on my personal rod this time and landed an nice 48" WSB. Not long later I hooked up again on the same rod. I retied the hook so I knew I could work the fish without fear of a line issue. 7/18 Edit- 20 not 15 lb top shot with braid on my Diawa SL20SH and an 8' foot Seeker rod. Lighter line than I wanted to have, but it was fresh and was not to worried. We were drifting so George was able to maneuver the boat for the best angle.
The fish came to the boat and George stuck it. Once again this year I get to record another PB. 53" WSB photos below.

Well I had told George that either way we will split the catch if he doesn't get one before we leave. We did the drift again a few times and things were looking bleak. I said no matter which rod goes off its yours George. Then my rod gets bit again. George picks it up and lands his WSB. We had 4 rods out most of the day, but the fish always picked up the same rod each time. One more drift and the same rod gets bit. Well the fish swam off with the clicker going crazy. George goes to set the hook, and nothing.:Sad:

It was getting time to head back so we stowed the gear and text Mike and Arthur that George got his fish.
A great weekend all around. A freaking Epic Weekend IMO

Sundays Catch
3- WSB
Big Fish 53"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote of the Day on Sat. goes to Mikey

"Were gonna need a Bigger Knife"

Thanks for reading. Dinner picks to follow soon,

WWO

Sorry Not alot of Action shots. To busy fishing........

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/904.jpg

Mikes Big Fish
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/899-1.jpg
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/900-1.jpg

Mike to Sexy for his fish on Sat

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/toohot.jpg

Love this shot

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/toobig.jpg

My Wife checking out the catch.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/906.jpg

You are right Arthur about what you can catch. I did get a Flat fish...:LOL:

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/littleguy.jpg

MY PB on Sunday. You call it.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/919.jpg
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/918.jpg

George doing the hard work

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/920.jpg

flashburn2020
07-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Nice job!!!!!!! Gonna need a bigger freezer ! Almost tuna time.............

Newfishsmell
07-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Now thats some good fishing !!

Congrats on the 53 incher Bill.

midgettosser1
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
awesome. congrats to both of you. great fish.

bones
07-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Now that is some SICK fishing right there boyz!
Wish I DIDN'T get seasick so easy out on the big blue.... Guess I'm going to have to get a longer rod to handle some big girls.....Wait .... That didn't sound right:ROFL:
Great job on the PB for ya Bill !

Keep up the good work out there guys. And thanks for taking the time to write up such a great report !
Inspiring to say the least!

bachiboy
07-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Awesome report and nice work getting them monster ghosts Bill!!! I think Dana might of been having some laughs upstairs saying..."Watch this, I'm gonna stall out their boat. They're gonna think 'damn this sucks'. Then I'll put them right on a stack of fish" :ROFL: Great job of getting not only your PB, but some others' as well. I'm sure it's a weekend that will go down in the books!!! Hope those big boys stick around for you guys for a while. Just be careful that a party boat doesn't catch you gaffing a fish. That's how the word got out on the MDR bite that my friend got on quite a few years ago and that area became a zoo real quick! :Wink: They had the area to themselves for a few days and, after being spotted, there were over two hundred boats crowding the place on the following weekend.

Congrats again guys!!!!
Don

Wingnut
07-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Bill, after Master Yoda called me Saturday night, I sent you a text... when there was no reply, I figured that you were wipe out from the epic day of Ghost hunting. I'm glad that the Iron Chef gave me a free pass to join you guys on Sunday, I had an absolute blast. :Big Grin:
Mikey is something else isn't he...? Time & time again he comes through in flying colors. :Thumbs Up:
The friendship & camaraderie we experienced this past weekend is what it's all about, what Dana envisioned for all fishermen. Putting fish on the deck is just a bonus. :Cool:

Love the super model pose Mikey! :LOL:

Lucky Lager
07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
great going guys!! put a handful of friends in a couple boats, on a hot bite & there's bound to be some epic stories made on that day!

Bill, when i got your text this morning, i was in the middle of the desert (Boron), sweating my ***** off at work...i couldn't wait to get home & read about your guys' adventure. congrats on your pb! that's a monster!!

i'm hoping to get back up your way & hit the surf soon. i'll give you a call when the plan comes togather.

by the way...good one----->"Were gonna need a Bigger Knife" :LOL:

calcutta and butts
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Epic, the best trips are when you find the fish on accident

Badbeat
07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
That is some ridiculous fishing right there. When Art brought over to my house some of those fillets we were blown away. :EyePop:
A weekend of fishing that won't soon be forgotten, nice job SWAT. :Big Grin:

PONTOON
07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Bill, okay okay, the most awesomest weekend of fishing on record and an equally awesome report!:Cool:

While I was reading the part where the audible alrm went off and the motor went into guardian mode I just sat here and cringed.:Neutral: I recently had the same audible alrm and loss of power. I now know that audible alrm means hand over another thousand.:Crying: Oh well, what can you do?

I've got to say congratulations to all of you on some beatiful catches and sitting here reading the report I could just imagine the the banter from boat to boat. That has to be a very memorable day on the water and one that I'm sure our Friend Dana would have appreciated. Great job guys!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

cutbait
07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice fish fellas...

Looks like the coke plant is kicking early eh?

Gonna have to make a recon trip of my own now

Which Way Out
07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice fish fellas...

Looks like the coke plant is kicking early eh?

Gonna have to make a recon trip of my own now

CB, I am sorry to say I don't even know where the Coke plant is. Oh I hear about it now and then, but its closer to the (Still Classified) just to the left edge.

Dang censors. Can't even get out the word...But I will keep an eye out on the coke plant.
And thanks for the reply.

WWO

cutbait
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
LMAO at "don't know where it is" riggggghhhtt!

But facts is

NICE fish indeed!.

That whole area from just south of the "harbor" to where your talking about is Californias best kept ghost secret.. Hell Fish and Game doesn't even find it worth while starting a WSB nursery because they don't think they thrive on the cen coast... WRONG!

The spooked ones I saw at my feet last year during the squid run off Shell beach still have my blood running

Which Way Out
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice job!!!!!!! Gonna need a bigger freezer ! Almost tuna time.............
No kidding on that.
Who needs Tuna when this is going on......... I do!!! The wife said she wants some yellowtail now.. Oh well, now I gotta go get some of those..Fish Fish Fish...

Now thats some good fishing !!

Congrats on the 53 incher Bill.
NFS, Thanks. It was even better because of the all the great friends that were there.

awesome. congrats to both of you. great fish.
Mike, Thanks. We got lucky in a lot of ways. But if your not ready when opportunity knocks you miss out. We were ready, just didn't know it would happen in that location until we gave it some time to develop.

Now that is some SICK fishing right there boyz!
Wish I DIDN'T get seasick so easy out on the big blue.... Guess I'm going to have to get a longer rod to handle some big girls.....Wait .... That didn't sound right:ROFL:
Great job on the PB for ya Bill !

Keep up the good work out there guys. And thanks for taking the time to write up such a great report !
Inspiring to say the least!

Mr Bones Thanks for the compliments.
Mike the water was so flat and calm, even you would of not got sick. And you can leave you rod at home...............:ROFL:

Awesome report and nice work getting them monster ghosts Bill!!! I think Dana might of been having some laughs upstairs saying..."Watch this, I'm gonna stall out their boat. They're gonna think 'damn this sucks'. Then I'll put them right on a stack of fish" :ROFL: Great job of getting not only your PB, but some others' as well. I'm sure it's a weekend that will go down in the books!!! Hope those big boys stick around for you guys for a while. Just be careful that a party boat doesn't catch you gaffing a fish. That's how the word got out on the MDR bite that my friend got on quite a few years ago and that area became a zoo real quick! :Wink: They had the area to themselves for a few days and, after being spotted, there were over two hundred boats crowding the place on the following weekend.

Congrats again guys!!!!
Don
Don, don't think that didn't cross my mine when Mikey and Arthur mention it on Sunday. That motor has been running so nice the past few outings. It's cool to think it could of happen as you stated.
Well the fish were there on Sunday so it was shared with a few close friends of Mikes. All great fisherman with many years of friendship between them. Good Karma was spread around.

Bill, after Master Yoda called me Saturday night, I sent you a text... when there was no reply, I figured that you were wipe out from the epic day of Ghost hunting. I'm glad that the Iron Chef gave me a free pass to join you guys on Sunday, I had an absolute blast. :Big Grin:
Mikey is something else isn't he...? Time & time again he comes through in flying colors. :Thumbs Up:
The friendship & camaraderie we experienced this past weekend is what it's all about, what Dana envisioned for all fishermen. Putting fish on the deck is just a bonus. :Cool:

Love the super model pose Mikey! :LOL:
That text you sent, I don't even remember seeing it. Tired is an understatement.:Tired:

Then when you showed up, I was worried that 4 people on Georges boat was gonna be a bit crowded to say the least. I told Mike that I would bail out on Sunday so you guys would have more room. But he said don't worry about it! The plan got changed!

I am so glad you were able to get a hall pass. The way it worked out, George and I had plenty of room and you guys got to hook up with Jerry. Mike told me Jerry even got his PB fish. So no worries that's for sure.

I have learned a lot more than fishing with Mike. As much of a gruff, tell it like it is, kind of guy that he is. He proves over and over how he is willing to share what he has learned with people that respect the sport and the good people in it. It's way cool.

I was watching you battle one of the fish you caught and was thinking, look at Arthur, his back is leaning forward and he's got the rod to low and I started to laugh. Mikey can explain it.
Oh BTW did you see the Salmon I caught?:Wink::ROFL:

great going guys!! put a handful of friends in a couple boats, on a hot bite & there's bound to be some epic stories made on that day!

Bill, when i got your text this morning, i was in the middle of the desert (Boron), sweating my ***** off at work...i couldn't wait to get home & read about your guys' adventure. congrats on your pb! that's a monster!!

i'm hoping to get back up your way & hit the surf soon. i'll give you a call when the plan comes togather.

by the way...good one----->"Were gonna need a Bigger Knife" :LOL:
Thanks Jim.
Boron! well that's about as far away as you can get from the ocean. Not really, but to far never the less.
I knew you would like the story. Thanks for staying interested in the ocean reports from such a long distance.
Stay cool when you can and give me a shout out when you come back out this way.

Epic, the best trips are when you find the fish on accident
You got that right. Accident or otherwise. Throw in some great friends, new and old and it became one of those trips of a lifetime.

That is some ridiculous fishing right there. When Art brought over to my house some of those fillets we were blown away. :EyePop:
A weekend of fishing that won't soon be forgotten, nice job SWAT. :Big Grin:
Big thick slabs huh!! I have been eating fish everyday from Sat till tonight. Had to have some Pasta for a change.
Ridiculous is right. I wish the guys that helped us out would of hung around to enjoy it with us. They missed the bite by about an hour.

Which Way Out
07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Bill, okay okay, the most awesomest weekend of fishing on record and an equally awesome report!:Cool:

While I was reading the part where the audible alrm went off and the motor went into guardian mode I just sat here and cringed.:Neutral: I recently had the same audible alrm and loss of power. I now know that audible alrm means hand over another thousand.:Crying: Oh well, what can you do?

I've got to say congratulations to all of you on some beatiful catches and sitting here reading the report I could just imagine the the banter from boat to boat. That has to be a very memorable day on the water and one that I'm sure our Friend Dana would have appreciated. Great job guys!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:
Terry, boats can be the greatest things and the worst things all at the same time. Great to be on the boat catching fish and knowing that we just need it to start one more time. It all worked out. People that were important to us getting home safely were notified and we knew where others were fishing. It all worked out very well to say the least. I even think we made it back sooner than last years big trip. It was still daylight by the time we had things all cleaned up.
I hope you get yours running well and don't have to "Bust Out Another Thousand" doing so.

LMAO at "don't know where it is" riggggghhhtt!

But facts is

NICE fish indeed!.

That whole area from just south of the "harbor" to where your talking about is Californias best kept ghost secret.. Hell Fish and Game doesn't even find it worth while starting a WSB nursery because they don't think they thrive on the cen coast... WRONG!

The spooked ones I saw at my feet last year during the squid run off Shell beach still have my blood running
CB, trust me I have no idea where the Coke Plant is. I moved here from La Quinta about 7 years ago. Mike has told me about it, but I have never been there.
As far as location, I am gonna keep ya guessing. The word has got out somehow. So it shouldn't be to hard to find. I just don't feel at liberty to say, not being the Capt. of the boat an all.
Good luck and Thanks for reading our story

WWO

ToadsToadsOnly
07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Congrats on finding your own body of squid and fish Bill and Mike sounds like it was a gift from Dana above that you had motor troubles. I never fished up north before but I am going to take a trek up north this Sat to try my luck out on the Ghost. Let me know if any one of you guys are going to be on the water this Saturday I hope the fish are still around.

Which Way Out
07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Congrats on finding your own body of squid and fish Bill and Mike sounds like it was a gift from Dana above that you had motor troubles. I never fished up north before but I am going to take a trek up north this Sat to try my luck out on the Ghost. Let me know if any one of you guys are going to be on the water this Saturday I hope the fish are still around.

Jonathan, Bring your yak and I will put you on em. I would love to see you go for a ride on it.:Razz: Just hope they are still there by then. The commercial guys somehow found out.
PM me and I will give you the low down, unless Arthur already told you.:Wink:
Team 57 Forever.
WWO

Wingnut
07-12-2012, 09:46 AM
CB, trust me I have no idea where the Coke Plant is. I moved here from La Quinta about 7 years ago. Mike has told me about it, but I have never been there.
As far as location, I am gonna keep ya guessing. The word has got out somehow. So it shouldn't be to hard to find. I just don't feel at liberty to say, not being the Capt. of the boat an all.
Good luck and Thanks for reading our story

WWO

Yes, yes... take the Battleship South of the harbor to the Coke Plant, good luck! :Big Smile:
Just look for the armada, I'm sure there is one sitting on it by now... the Squid guys aren't stupid, lol.
We got a few S.W.A.T. yakers heading up there this weekend. :Wink:
Hey Bill, eating WSB every day this week...??? Poor baby... :ROFL:

blackwater
07-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Geez Bill, those Salmon are HUGE!!! :ROFL: Sorry, the Commander made me do it. :LOL:
I haven't yet had the privilege of learning from Master Yoda, but from what I see and hear, he is quite a salty ol' dog. :Razz:
Sounds like a great weekend of fishing. Good friends and fantastic fishing, can't get any better than that.
Long live the spirit of Team 57. :Big Grin:

ToadsToadsOnly
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Jonathan, Bring your yak and I will put you on em. I would love to see you go for a ride on it.:Razz: Just hope they are still there by then. The commercial guys somehow found out.
PM me and I will give you the low down, unless Arthur already told you.:Wink:
Team 57 Forever.
WWO

Hey Bill that's what I am planning to do I just got a Hobie Pro Angler that I need to get some blood on it and DV my yak. Saturday is a go for me 100% Arthur gave me some low down. But I will send you a PM I have been on a dry spell and I think I have paddled over 40 miles within the last month chasing the exotics.

Which Way Out
07-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Bill that's what I am planning to do I just got a Hobie Pro Angler that I need to get some blood on it and DV my yak. Saturday is a go for me 100% Arthur gave me some low down. But I will send you a PM I have been on a dry spell and I think I have paddled over 40 miles within the last month chasing the exotics.

Jonathan don't worry the fish are still there as of this afternoon.

WWO

Edit 7/24, Wow did Jonathan ever hit a home run!

Which Way Out
07-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Here's another dinner shot.
I need a better cell phone......................:Confused:

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/yue-1.jpg

JapanRon
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi Which Way Out,

Wow ....... missed this report. Awesome detail and great photos !! Good goin' !!

JapanRon

iLLest
07-30-2012, 01:39 AM
sweet job out there guys!
All of those wsb are beautys.
keep it up!

crappiemike
08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Man I wish crappie grew that big,,, LOL!!!
Nice fish for sure,,,,,,,

Cm

Which Way Out
08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Man I wish crappie grew that big,,, LOL!!!
Nice fish for sure,,,,,,,

Cm

That would be something that's for sure.
Thanks Mike for checking in.

WWO

JapanRon
08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi Which Way Out,

Wow .... very nice read. Read twice but didn't reply first time as I usually miss stuff the first time !

JapanRon