PDA

View Full Version : Trout and crappie at bbl?

fishermanx14
07-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Making a five day trip , leaving on Sunday. We are probably going to fish the damn most of the time with a slip bobber. Does any one know what depth they have been biting on? and any specific power bait? Also if i wanted to catch some crappie what would i need and where would i need to go?

Thanks,
Christian

Troutin Man
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Just went today in the afternoon to dusk and got skunked at the dam. Used slip bobber at varying depth as well as varied power bait colors, earthworms, and various lures. Got one bite in 4 hours. Never been this bad. A guy and his girlfriend were there for 3 hours before me and had no luck either. The people that came during my last hour had no luck either. They said they caught something weird and didn't know what it was and threw it back.

Went to Green Valley Lake before BBL and it was warm...fishing was slow there too. Oh well. Just nice to be up in the woods.

fishfnatic
07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I don't know how much colder BBL would be then Gregory but, Gregory was sitting at 71/2 last weekend. That will put the trout way way deep. Somewhere between 30' and 40'. I haven't been to BBL with my fish finder yet so idk what the depths are up there, but go deep.

seal
07-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Big Bear is a completely different lake than Gregory due to depth and oxygen levels. Normally you want to fish near the thermocline if there is a defined thermocline. My recent trips I'd say 20' or so is the best depth to set your slip bobber rig at but things change quick and I haven't been up there for a couple weeks.

Here is a blurb from a report on July 7th.

"With water temperatures ranging from 66 degrees at the dam to 69 degrees at Juniper Pt. Big Bear Lake is warm and in summer mode. Oxygens levels are great from the top to within a few feet of the bottom. Trout are being caught from the observatory all the way down to the dam due to these uniform and favorable conditions. The best trout bite is early and late due to clarity as deep as 12 feet. Bait anglers hanging PowerBait off a slip bobber set at 15 to 20 feet are doing well be it from the shore from Windy Pt. and to the ewst, or drifting the middle of the lake in a boat."

fishermanx14
07-10-2012, 10:15 AM
thanks for all the info guys, does any one know anything about getting some crappie?

TheHegemon
07-10-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't know how much colder BBL would be then Gregory but, Gregory was sitting at 71/2 last weekend. That will put the trout way way deep. Somewhere between 30' and 40'. I haven't been to BBL with my fish finder yet so idk what the depths are up there, but go deep.

I actually found the exact opposite. I was burning lures and the trout would hit no deeper than 3'-4' from the surface, I even had a couple of trout take the lure right next to my tube.

M@M
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
thanks for all the info guys, does any one know anything about getting some crappie?

I did really well on the crappie earlier this season fishing off the North side dock........using 2lb test,crappie jigs with a niblet..... Last fours times out(mondays) bite has been really slow for me. have caught a few nice bluegill using crickets and worms...... have also caught a few bass and cats....... but targeting the panfish.... maybe the moon phase will bring the bite back???? Haven't seen the other shore fisherman catching either, while I was there. Still a great time and a beautful place... have a good time and good luck!

fishermanx14
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
thnaks for the info....down at puddingstone i use a bobber with a jig under it , do you think they are too deep for that? and where exactly is the north dock.....found this calender online http://www.imhooked.com/moon/1207.html...is this talking about fishing in general or just at night?

Cameron
07-10-2012, 04:43 PM
here is your best friend for fishing BBL folks http://www.bbmwd.com/Lake_Info_files/07-05-12%20Limno_1.pdf
I myself had to move off the mountain do to health issues SO I AINT UP THERE & I HATE IT LOL.
Seal is right on as he is most of the time with his advice.As for night fishing I do better if you can see just my experience. I hope I covered it all in the PM but I aint all here these days so let me know.
ALSO remember that this is a tourist town & you cant trust the fishing reports in my opinion & experience. Seems to be geared to get you all up & to spend money & the town depends on you to. Great place & I cant wait to kick this crap & get back home cause Riverside Sucks compared to Big Bear Lake & I think we all can agree on that. Hell my fishing gear is even in storage up there.
Etaggart is the go to guy or Scott for info on current stuff. Good Luck & post some pics.
M&M is good on info too sorry my brain is trashed flipping drugs.

fishermanx14
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
here is your best friend for fishing BBL folks http://www.bbmwd.com/Lake_Info_files/07-05-12%20Limno_1.pdf
I myself had to move off the mountain do to health issues SO I AINT UP THERE & I HATE IT LOL.
Seal is right on as he is most of the time with his advice.As for night fishing I do better if you can see just my experience. I hope I covered it all in the PM but I aint all here these days so let me know.
ALSO remember that this is a tourist town & you cant trust the fishing reports in my opinion & experience. Seems to be geared to get you all up & to spend money & the town depends on you to. Great place & I cant wait to kick this crap & get back home cause Riverside Sucks compared to Big Bear Lake & I think we all can agree on that. Hell my fishing gear is even in storage up there.
Etaggart is the go to guy or Scott for info on current stuff. Good Luck & post some pics.
M&M is good on info too sorry my brain is trashed flipping drugs.

thanks a lot...my uncle mike is the lake manager so i assume he could help out some too but i wont see/ talk to him until i get up there, and what exactly am i looking for on the link? what kind of temps do trout like?

Cameron
07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
its more about the Dissolved O2 levels the temps are pretty much the same across the lake so they can be anywhere that has o2 above 4-5.

M@M
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
thnaks for the info....down at puddingstone i use a bobber with a jig under it , do you think they are too deep for that? and where exactly is the north dock.....found this calender online http://www.imhooked.com/moon/1207.html...is this talking about fishing in general or just at night?

North dock at Carol Morrison public boat launch...... to the far left after you enter...... good luck!

fishermanx14
07-11-2012, 01:43 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=41746-41948+N+Shore+Dr+San+Bernardino+National+Forest,+B ig+Bear+City,+CA&ie=UTF-8 correct?

M@M
07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
That's the place.... you can also try dock at Boulder Bay.... not nearly as peaceful though, this time of year, many people coming and going taking pics etc....

fishermanx14
07-13-2012, 11:51 AM
cool, thanks for all the help. Look for my report.