PDA

View Full Version : Kern River Trip.

JoshR88
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I'd like to start off by giving a huge thank you to ibom, farmacist and archer. You guys rock! Thanks for the info. I fished and partied at the kern the 5th through the 8th, we went for friend ryans birthday. Couldn't have asked for a better time. We stayed at limestone, we had a killer camp ground! Fishing was great all weekend. Two of my friends never caught a fish before, when they caught there fist fish, they both looked like kids in a candy store. It was awesome! Not sure how many fish we caught, I myself caught around 20 all from about 3 inches to a pound. The rest of my group caught a bunch to, nothin over a pound. We ended up keeping 4 because they were gut hooked, the rest safely realsed to grow bigger for the next guy to catch. Our technique was mostly split shotting night crawlers and salmon eggs. Did catch one on a rooster tail. Sorry no pics. Didn't want to bring my phone near the water because most the time I was waist deep. I can take a picture of the fillets if you want lol. Oh and a side not, all fish caught were wild. They all had beautiful full tails and coloring. I was told by a regular that they don't stock that far up the river. Thanks for reading the report, I had a blast up there.

Tigh lines everyone,
Josh

JoshR88
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
One thing I wanted to add for people that might be fishing the kern soon. Fish faster water!!! All my fish were caught in rapids. Throw into the white water and let it drift out. Make sure you keep tension on the line and let your split shot bounce slowly on the bottom. If you think its goin to fast it probably is, put a bigger split shot on. We had a few people try fishing power bait in calm water and they got nothing on that. Good luck guys!

LuckyCraft420
07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
My favorite camping location and you got into THE best campground (limestone). I've been wanting to go back up there the passed couple years, maybe this will be the summer I have time. Thanks for the report. When I was there 3 years ago they actually stocked stocking trout all together. Apparently the stockers were eating some niņo and frog which was making them an endangered species. I fishes all the mornings and caught 1 fish on the last day. No clue what it was though, I know it wasn't a trout. But it did weigh about 3-3.5 pounds.

JoshR88
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
The camp site was a blast! We were partying at crock rock a lot of the weekend, kind of took away a lot of fishing time ha. You probably caught a sucker fish. My friends caught a couple and they were crusin all over the rocks. My buddy caught a trout that had a bass shaped body to, weirdest trout body I ever see. I caught one trout that had golden spots on it, that was pretty cool to. We had a blast up there, can't wait to go again.

OC ANGLER
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Ive been camping limestone for years ! croc rock is the spot ! love cliff jumping there , tubing from the bridge down to the campgrounds is awesome . Breakfast at Johnny McNally's ! head up to the giant sequoias or take a hike to the natural water slides !

JoshR88
07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
We made a few tube runs, the water was kind of low. Lost 2 hats, sun glasses and busted my butt a few times on some rocks lol. We never made it to the natural water slides, we were all somewhat intoxicated all trip lol. Did do a lot of cliff jumping and a couple friends jumped the bridge at mcnallys. We had to much fun up there.

LuckyCraft420
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Crocodile rock! Was the eye and teeth still painted on, or did they remove it again? The slow moving water there was great from swimming, and the other end of the campsite was always my fishing spot.

Oh and I know it wasn't a sucker fish. I know what those look like, and I don't think it would hit a white rooster tail

JoshR88
07-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Yea they painted the eyes back on the rock. I'm not sure what kind of fish you caught then, When I was youg a tackle shop owner told me to keep any white fish I catch because they eat the trout. Ive never seen one, maybe that's it.