PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning a trip to Bishop / Mammoth Lakes

rusn007
07-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to plan a little getaway for my family. We're going up north to Bishop / Mammoth area and wanted to do some fishing. If anyone can recommend which lakes / spots and what works best - I really appreciate. We're probably just going to fish from the shore. I haven't caught much trout - so any recommendations would be great.

Thanks,
Stan

fishermanx14
07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
crowely lake is all ways good, also with the june loop...for a rig use a carolina rig with a 2 to 3 foot leader with very light line

HighSierratrout
07-09-2012, 09:01 PM
If you make your way up Bishop Creek go to Lake Sabrina and you can fish from the dam. I have always caught fish there, especially with red/gold bouyants and red/gold super dupers.
We were in Mammoth a few weeks ago and it was so windy it made fishing lakes pretty darn annoying, but we caught fish in Twin Lakes, Mamie, and a bunch in Lee Vining Creek and Mammoth Creek. I used flies for all my catches, and a tenkara pole. The only fly I used was an Ishigaki Kebari, a Japanese tenkara fly. My brothers caught fish with red/gold super dupers and bouyants, some on micro jigs, nightcrawlers, power bait (mostly garlic), and a few on salmon eggs in the creeks.

Good luck and watch out for Cinnamon if you're camping in the Mammoth Lakes Basin. Cinnamon is a 1 year old bear that decided the best place to eat is the campgrounds, and the bear isn't worried about you being there. Cinnamon actually came down to Lake Mamie when I was bringing in a Brook trout and waited for me to release it, then walked to me and I took off, and climbed in the water and grabbed the fish I had just released and ate it. It was awesome, and a little scary, but pretty darn cool to be that close to a bear that had figured out how to fish, haha.

OCfishermen
07-10-2012, 12:05 AM
i wouldnt hit lake sabrina, just got back from bishop and lake sabrina is really low and not even fishable from the dam and i wouldnt hit up the owens river either, it is moving to fast right now

ART HILL
07-10-2012, 05:01 AM
South Lake is fishing awesome right now. Check in with my good friend Jared Smith, general manager of Parchers Resort. Jared is the local expert in that area. Parchers Resort also serves the best breakfast anyone ever had. Their cabins are very nice as well.

Parchers Resort is about 1 mile from South Lake. They have boat rentals if you decide to try fishing from a boat, but the shore fishing is great as well. Jared will hook you up with what is working best at this time. Parchers Resort is a paying sponsor of FNN, and they have a link at the top of this page.

Even though Lake Sabrina is low, the fishing is still very good. I was just there recently, and if you don't mind a ten minute walk, you can get away from the crowds around the marina area, and into some nice trout. Trout jigs and gold Castmasters was working well for us. Grasshopper was the prefered color on the jigs. Another good spot was Intake II. Intake is heavily stocked, and the catching was very easy. Trout jigs worked best there. Good Luck and have fun.

Pete Marino
07-10-2012, 08:53 AM
When we go up there we either stay in The Convict Lake campground or the Sabrina Lake campground.. Both have streams running through them full of trout and you can also fish both lakes ... as well as intake two and many others.. Have fun...its AWESOME up there...IM JEALOUS!!!

Pete

pc2mac
07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Lake Mary almost always produces for me. We like to the area just below the campgrounds on the east side of the lake. Late afternoons are a great time starting at around 5:00, especially when the sun sets. During the summer, you'll still have enough light to fish until 7:00 or so. 2lb test leader works best for us as the water is pretty clear and inflated crawlers have been the best producing bait. Make sure you get a worm inflator at one of the tackle shops in town. Good luck!

EMarty
07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Rock Creek lake is a very good shore fishing lake. Drive around to the back where the creek runs into the lake or around the right side of the boat ramp... Standard bait and wait will work, but I like to throw a fly and bubble rig early a.m. or late afternoon. You could stop in a Mac's tackle shop in Bishop and buy some bait, the guys there are always happy to point you towards the hot bite. Good luck and have fun, it's not really about the fish... is it?

TroutFishin
07-21-2012, 03:47 PM
How was the fishing? I'll up in upper Bishop area next week. Do you have any recommedations for camping and fishing? I prefer flyfishing on the rivers or creeks. Thank you in advance.