PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 7-8

P.A.W.
07-09-2012, 12:51 PM
First boat on the water and made a bee-line for the inlet. Claimed "THE" bouy for a change. :Wink: First cast and fish on. Great! Hit three very quickly and then it slowed down. I promised myself some experimental time with the downrig so I departed and started a troll. I saw a number of boils out in open water that came and went pretty fast before I could get to them. Found some LMB in 20-30 ft of water. Tried dropshot with no takers so I threw out the old Senko and let it drop slowly weightless and that was the ticket. Had some nice models. No big numbers, just 4 or 5 but 3 stripers and 4 LMB by 10:30 and I was good to go. On the ramp by 11:00 and homeward.

I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks which means fishing my butt off. Instead of new threads I'll just update this one if anything like regular striper boils develope.

Tight lines guys!

P.A.W.
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Tuesday carbon copy of day 1. four stripers early then some LMB later. I'm convinced the LMB bite is 25-30ft. right now. In those areas where I could sight fish (2-12 ft.) they wanted nothing to do with my offerings. Went deeper and found takers.

Speaking of takers.... there is a striper running around with my favorite Lucky Craft stuck to his face. Let me know if you find it. :LOL:

sweetfish
07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Cool deal Pat. Thanks for the update. 3 more weeks and this arm cast comes off and Mr. Stripey will be in trouble. Going to try to see how well I can cast at Perris on Friday or will end up doing some boating for the kids if it doesn't work out.

allIdoIsfish
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the update! I've been trying to head out there with my new rig but family medical issues are my priority right now. Hope to see you out there sometime during next week.

P.A.W.
07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Cool. Did you get the Z7? Hope you got a decent price for the PT175. Got a doctor's appointment for tomorrow but I'll be there Thursday and Friday. I think I'll skip the weekend crowd. BTW As I was motoring to the inlet this morning I was thinking how great it is to be there on a weekday. Soooo peaceful. Got to the inlet and some clown was motoring around inside the whitewater casting his lure around!!!! I gave him the universal WTF? sign and he said "Oh, am I in the way?" I told him it was totally illegal and YES he was in the way. And this was NOT a rental boat! Anyway I won't recognize your new rig so give me a wave when you are there.

JAG107
07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm so jealous, 2 weeks of fishing? You're killin me. At least you're going to really dial that place in for the summer season. Sorry to hear about your LC, those things ain't cheap!
That must've been something seeing some idiot motoring around in the white water, must have thought nobody would nail him. Sounds like a news story waiting to happen...
Any luck on the troll?

allIdoIsfish
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Cool. Did you get the Z7? Hope you got a decent price for the PT175. Got a doctor's appointment for tomorrow but I'll be there Thursday and Friday. I think I'll skip the weekend crowd. BTW As I was motoring to the inlet this morning I was thinking how great it is to be there on a weekday. Soooo peaceful. Got to the inlet and some clown was motoring around inside the whitewater casting his lure around!!!! I gave him the universal WTF? sign and he said "Oh, am I in the way?" I told him it was totally illegal and YES he was in the way. And this was NOT a rental boat! Anyway I won't recognize your new rig so give me a wave when you are there.

No I ended up getting a black and blue 05 ranger with like 30 hours on it. As for the pt175 I was able to get my full asking price on it, some guy from Modesto drove down and picked it up right away.

A few years back when I was at skinner there was a center console boat that was doing 35mph for like 30 minutes around the lake. I gave him the same universal wtf look lol.

Hope to see you out there soon.

P.A.W.
07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Went out on the 12th but the lake was red flagged. Bummer. Hung out 'til 9:00 or so hoping the wind would die down and just stood on the dock casting the new Revo Torro for an hour or so getting the settings just right. Man, cloud cover, some wind..... fishy weather! There's always tomorrow.

kaiyasdad
07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Went out on the 12th but the lake was red flagged. Bummer. Hung out 'til 9:00 or so hoping the wind would die down and just stood on the dock casting the new Revo Torro for an hour or so getting the settings just right. Man, cloud cover, some wind..... fishy weather! There's always tomorrow.

Crazy weather as there has been no wind at my house in Murrieta all morning. I almost went to skimner today as it looked like it would be good striper weather.

P.A.W.
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Out there Friday the 13th and it was BAD LUCK for MR. Stripey. I started early at the inlet and caught so many fish that I was literally tired out. At least 15 maybe 20 in 2 hours (all C&R). I needed a break so set my trolling motor on #2 and set Ipilot to follow the south shore back to the east and threw out a 6" Producer to troll while I had a snack and rest. Got maybe 50 yds and BAM! the rod was bendo. Turned out to be a big chunk LMB 4-5 pounds. After that I did some LMB hunting and it was pretty slow. Just one here and one there. Off the water by 11:30.

The quality of stripers is improving. They were all real chunky and fought like freight trains. Average was 3-4 pounds. I'll be skipping the weekend and report after Monday.

kaiyasdad
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Out there Friday the 13th and it was BAD LUCK for MR. Stripey. I started early at the inlet and caught so many fish that I was literally tired out. At least 15 maybe 20 in 2 hours (all C&R). I needed a break so set my trolling motor on #2 and set Ipilot to follow the south shore back to the east and threw out a 6" Producer to troll while I had a snack and rest. Got maybe 50 yds and BAM! the rod was bendo. Turned out to be a big chunk LMB 4-5 pounds. After that I did some LMB hunting and it was pretty slow. Just one here and one there. Off the water by 11:30.

The quality of stripers is improving. They were all real chunky and fought like freight trains. Average was 3-4 pounds. I'll be skipping the weekend and report after Monday.

damn i shouldve went this morning. decided not to go with all the thunderstorms at 2am. did you get them all on lures?

P.A.W.
07-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Yup, all on jerkbait. I bet anything fishy would have worked though.

JAG107
07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
What a payoff! I can't believe they were all 3-4 lbs, those are some real chunkers by Skinner standards.

P.A.W.
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Sunday the 15th. Went right to the inlet and though the water is high the inlet was running a bit slow. Made 30 casts +- for nada. HMMMM.... Went off in search of LMB and found some in a bit shallower water than the last week. Transitions from 10-25 were where I found them from 7:30 to 10:00. Not a big number (around 10) but they were nice chunks. Off the water around 11:00. Still on senko fished weightless and sllooooow.

JAG107
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Where did they go? Sure felt like stripey weather this morning. At least you got on your backup bass!

P.A.W.
07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Interesting day today(Tues. 17th). Started at the inlet for nada. Surprising since it was cloudy and perfect feeding conditions. I figured they HAVE to be feeding somewhere. I tooled around and found a nice boil. They were chasing a big 'ol shad ball. I followed the school around for a little over an hour. Even though they were actively feeding they were real wary. They would follow my lure right to the boat. I'd stick one every so often though! HEHEHEHE. They would go down and hold around 25' then come back up. Lots of fun. Just remember they are very sensitive to trolling motors and fish finders. Looks like tomorrow will be the same cloudy morning conditions....... can't wait!

socalfab
07-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the updates! They are great. Glad to see you are getting in to some fish. Hope to get lucky out there this weekend. Taking my son and wife out on my boat this weekend at skinner to try and slay a little something. Hopefully I can find the fish and work them over like you do. Keep the repots comming. Thanks

socalfab

P.A.W.
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Glad to help Fab. Just got back from a tip today Wed. 18th. Basically the same as yesterday. Nothing at the inlet early. Went to my hangout to wait for the morning 9:00 boil. Nothing. Man, I was getting bored so I went back deep into the east end past the marina and looked for LMB. They were there but real spooky. At 10:00 I decided to go home at 11:00 so I'd give a try at trolling the main water. Dropped the downrigger with a white fluke at 35' and started off. Got about 1/2 way down the south side and thought I saw a disturbance on the water. Broke out the binoculars and YUP! A boil out in mid-lake almost to the dam..... and it was headed my way!! Picked up the rig and broke out the old jerkbait rod.

They were frolicking and splashing up a storm. I casted right in the middle of them for nada! Followed them around for 1/2 hour casting in front. behind, in mid-pack. Got bumped a few times but no real hits. Changed to a white fluke and finally a topwater. Landed a couple on the Xcaliber topwater, but only after many casts and chasing them for a while. Fun but frustrating.

Generally real slow today for everyone I spoke with. Maybe a pre-front thing? Skinner is a fickle place.

allIdoIsfish
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the updates Pat, I hope the fishing gets better for the weekend.

P.A.W.
07-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Ha! Me too! BTW check your PM's. I was going to take Thursday off from the lake, but I just loaded up a couple of reels with new line and I think I'll try some early morning frogging just to see what's up there.