PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Corbina Report 7-7-12

Sharkbait
07-09-2012, 12:34 PM
July has always been my favorite time of the year for Corbina and lately I have been ignoring them to fish for Halibut. Today I left the Halibut gear in the car and took the light rod. When I arrived to a beach in the N. OC I was surprised to see lots anglers on the beach. It was low tide and their was almost no low tide structure. The only structure was a small trough in between groups of anglers and thats where I started fishing. Using sand crabs for bait the bite was very consistent. I ended up with 9 Corbina, 20 perch, 1 thorn back ray, and 1 baby shovelnose in 3 hours. The whole time I was their the only other fish I saw caught was a nice leopard shark by a shark fisherman and all the other anglers looked like they got a skunked. Water was clear, warm, and had the occasional kelp stringer floating by and the skies were overcast. No pics as I left the camera in the car.

Anthony

SP Dan
07-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi ya Sharkbait, Way to go brotha!

That's kinda cool.....to walk out into the middle of a bunch of anglers and beach 9 Corbina, 20 perch, 1 thorn back ray, and 1 baby shovelnose......and in only 3 hours.
When you left that spot.....I'll bet half of the anglers jumped on your spot and the other half ended up shaking their heads in amazement and doubting their own fishing skills after watching you target and beach your selected quarry! :Big Grin: ha ha ha!

Lead the way and teach by example! :Thumbs Up: That was a very nice bag of fish for only three hours of effort!

Thanx Anthony for the fish catching report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bones
07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Great Job out there Anthony. I was wondering if you and JerryG were going to do the traditional 4th gig but I got caught up in family business and I saw the low tide for that morning. That beach is usually not such a good producer at low tide but seems like you just made the adjustment and hammered them. Hey...Have you ever tried a bubble fly combo with a sand crab fly? I have to get off my butt and head down to the southbay for some bean hunting n board shorts. Gotta love ditching the heavy gear and enjoying the socal warm water while it's here!
Thanks for the report.

bachiboy
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Nice job on the beans, perch and rays Anthony! Sounds like a fun filled 3 hours. I can only imagine the green glows cast from the many faces around you. :Wink: Congrats and thanks for report!

Don

Wingnut
07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
We know that you're one of the best Corbina anglers around Anthony and it shows. Jerry told me some great stories of the Beans you guys have caught over the years. :Wink: I'm glad that you found some time in your busy schedule to get out and fish. :Big Grin:
Keep up the nice work out there my friend. :Cool:

Which Way Out
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Way to go Anthony.
I still to this day haven't caught a bean. I was messing around not long ago trying to get some to bite when I saw a 30"+ Halibut swim by. Needless I gave up on the beans...........

Thanks for sharing

WWO

No Arthur is wasn't a Salmon:Wink::ROFL:

Wingnut
07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
No Arthur is wasn't a Salmon:Wink::ROFL:

Are you sure Bill...? :LOL:
Sure took you a really long time to bring in those Salmon on Sunday. :Big Smile:

Hey Anthony, you and JerryG have to teach me the fine art of Bean fishing one of these days bro. :Wink:

blackwater
07-12-2012, 01:54 PM
That's one Croaker that I haven't caught yet. :Neutral:
I got WSB, Spotfin, YFC, but never a Bean.
Those are good numbers you put up bro, keep up the nice job out there. :Thumbs Up:

bsp
07-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Anthony,

Great to hear you put some corbina on the sand. You and jerryG are two of the most knowledgeable corbina guys around, and I'm not surprised to hear you stuck 9 while others got skunked. Awesome job out there!

Marc