PDA

View Full Version : 7/7 Terrible way to participate in a tournament.

fishfnatic
07-09-2012, 07:48 AM
The day started off promising. Brother and I got to the lake at 2:15pm. Paid our fees, rented the boat, and entered the tournament. Tried to find Taper Steve's bbq to no avail, so we loaded the boat up and headed to the trees in the flats with our mackerel and shrimp hoping to finally catch some catfish. Combined this season in 2 trips prior to this we had 1 fish between us.

Started out at the tree line on the flats. Hooked up on the first fish around 4:00pm. It was my brothers first catfish of the season. A nice 4lbr. Not a money winner but not a 2lbr either. A few hours pass by and we see the circle of boats form. Pull anchors and head over to the hole. At this time I started feeling sick, some type of food poisoning, or heat stroke?? My brother was getting a call from his wife about labor pains... she's not due for 3 months (also having twins!). So with all this going on we really couldn't concentrate on fishing. I manage to hook up on a 3lbr land it and that was it. My sister-in-law was headed to the hospital so my brother had to take off, I was developing a major migraine and couldn't fish solo.

When all was said and done 2 fish in the boat, labor pains ended, and I got home and passed out from 7:30pm to 2:00am after emptying my stomach the wrong way...

Good news though, the mom to be is fine, and I am starting to notice a pattern on the catfish, hopefully I can land more this season!

Congrats to all the money winners!

TaperSteve
07-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for posting! We were BBQin' in the main picnic area next to the tackle shop between 1pm - 6pm. Next time don't hesitate to ask in the tackle shop where TaperSteve, Big Daddy, and the rest of the Team 57 crew are at. They usually know where we're hanging and I know they'd be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. Way to go on the cats! I ended up skunking on the cats that night but I did catch a 12lb wiper that put on a good 10 min fight. Keep at it.... you'll be catching those limits in no time!

TS

fishfnatic
07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Ahh, that explains it. I was looking at the shore line in boat dock. Next time. Good job on the wiper! Good thing someone that knows what they are doing caught it. I don't need to see another decent sized wiper going belly up in the middle of the flats.

5150fishn
07-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you guys had a rough time with some unexpected situations going on. Glad you didn't get skunked though! Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the mom to be is all well!

Perris_holic
07-09-2012, 12:27 PM
When you guys target catfish from a boat do you guys cast your bait out far or just drop it over the side of the boat?

dondadda
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
When you guys target catfish from a boat do you guys cast your bait out far or just drop it over the side of the boat?

I think most drop straight down and then loop some line around their big toe. Then they kick back, look up at the stars and wait for a tug.

I could be wrong..

VineVideos
07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
The day started off promising. Brother and I got to the lake at 2:15pm. Paid our fees, rented the boat, and entered the tournament. Tried to find Taper Steve's bbq to no avail, so we loaded the boat up and headed to the trees in the flats with our mackerel and shrimp hoping to finally catch some catfish. Combined this season in 2 trips prior to this we had 1 fish between us.

Started out at the tree line on the flats. Hooked up on the first fish around 4:00pm. It was my brothers first catfish of the season. A nice 4lbr. Not a money winner but not a 2lbr either. A few hours pass by and we see the circle of boats form. Pull anchors and head over to the hole. At this time I started feeling sick, some type of food poisoning, or heat stroke?? My brother was getting a call from his wife about labor pains... she's not due for 3 months (also having twins!). So with all this going on we really couldn't concentrate on fishing. I manage to hook up on a 3lbr land it and that was it. My sister-in-law was headed to the hospital so my brother had to take off, I was developing a major migraine and couldn't fish solo.

When all was said and done 2 fish in the boat, labor pains ended, and I got home and passed out from 7:30pm to 2:00am after emptying my stomach the wrong way...

Good news though, the mom to be is fine, and I am starting to notice a pattern on the catfish, hopefully I can land more this season!

Congrats to all the money winners!

Wow! Thanks for that report. Got to drink lots of water on these hot days on the lake.
Twins? Are they anglers or anglerettes? Or do they know yet?
Hope you're feeling fine by now and to see you back out at the Vine soon. Regards to your family.
Danny J.

fishfnatic
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Sounds like you guys had a rough time with some unexpected situations going on. Glad you didn't get skunked though! Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the mom to be is all well!

You're welcome, and thanks!

Depends. If you are in a circle of boats, usually you need to cast into the middle where the fish are. If you are by yourself drop it down.

Wow! Thanks for that report. Got to drink lots of water on these hot days on the lake.
Twins? Are they anglers or anglerettes? Or do they know yet?
Hope you're feeling fine by now and to see you back out at the Vine soon. Regards to your family.
Danny J.

I should have probably drank quiet a bit more water then I did. They will be anglerettes, and for my brother that will make 3 girls for him. I am feeling much better, unless you ask my boss, in that case I still feel like crap and should be at home! Thanks.

troutdog
07-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry we missed you out there, congrats on the kittys you managed in all the adversity.....see you next time for sure!

PM sent

TD