PDA

View Full Version : GARRRR in the Lunch Box!

Ambassadorhawg
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
LATE REPORT: Went out to Anacapa on Tuesday in search of Gar & cods on my buddy's boat, "Lunch Box". Didn't see any Gar early on so we hits the cod spots. The current was ripping so the cods were not in much of a feeding mood. We still scratched up a decent limit between us which consisted of Chuckleheads, Rosy's, Lipstick Bass, Blue's and some other junk.

After that, we got up close to the backside to throw plastics in the kelp. The water was way too clear with a visibilty of over 30 feet! Oh well, off to search for Gar again...

We headed around the corner at the archway and WOW!!! 4 or 5 sportboats, a couple of private boaters and 1000 gulls diving into a Gar feeding frenzy!

We stayed with it for an hour and each managed 10-12 big fat Gar. I got mine on a Tady "C", not sure what my buddy was tossing. I also caught 3 gulls on the surface iron. Man, those birds are dumb up there!

My buddy busted a Calstar rod trying to get a hooked Gar away from the ravenous Sea Lions! He was trying to lift the fish into the boat and a big dog came flying up out of the water and grabbed the fish and since my buddy was high-sticking his rod in an attempt to get the fish away, the rod broke easily under the weight of the dog. Oh well... he'll get the blank replaced for free anyway.

Weather was nice, 2-3 foot swell, light wind and very clear almost blue 68-70 degree water. Lots of life out there. Porpose, birds and bait all over the place especially at the archway. The meter marks there were INSANE!

Sorry, no pics, I can't find my camera!

k3vin_kim
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
F'ing dogs.

Baseballer44
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
well, you caught a lot of fish, and the always-delicious gull. tasty.

Troutman65
08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Congrats on your catch.

Thanks for the report.

kind of sucks your buddy broke his rod.

Troutman65

one_leg
08-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Oh man! I really wanted to see the pics of the sea gulls. Never seen one of them before. :wink:

Thanks for the report, even though it didn't have any pics.

One_Leg

Fisher-of-Men
08-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Oh man! I really wanted to see the pics of the sea gulls. Never seen one of them before. :wink:

Thanks for the report, even though it didn't have any pics.

One_Leg

LOL!
Funny Guy.........One_Leg :!:

Fisher_of_Men

sansou
08-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like you had a really productive trip. Wide open barry bites are always a pleasure when nothing else is cooperating.

Bummer on the broken rod. Sounds like your buddy got caught by surprise and wasn't bouncing his fish with his thumb buttoned down on the spool (vice having it in gear).

JapanRon
08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Ambassadorhawg,

Good job on the fishys, report, and pics! Hate those dogs ....

I fish plastics and if a sneaky Barracuda is hooked solid with my gear and a dog grabs him .... I usually loose a plastic setup!! That's losing the setup on a fish I hate ..... didn't even want ....... and don't keep in the first place!!

From what I hear .... we're pretty lucky up here as they are more numerous down LJ way.

Know you like fishing the cuda ...... please catch my share too!

JapanRon

Ambassadorhawg
08-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey spam chucker... "Gar" are Pacific Barracuda. They have several other nicknames such as: Logs, Skinnies, Gators, Slimesticks & Cudas.

rusty6
08-26-2007, 04:33 PM
nice going on the slimers, too bad about yor friends rod though