PDA

View Full Version : First time (catching fish at the surf)

lostfisherman
07-08-2012, 02:40 PM
went out fishing the surf at Ventura beach, first 2 hours nothing but sea weed and crabs but then all the sudden tide started to shift and every cast was money!!!

skunked4life
07-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. When you say, "nothing but...crabs," I would take that as the perfect opportunity to harvest some bait. My first 5 outings were a bust, then I started reading the tide tables and solunar tables. Now, I don't waste a whole lot of time guessing when the best time to catch is. Try it out.

lostfisherman
07-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. When you say, "nothing but...crabs," I would take that as the perfect opportunity to harvest some bait. My first 5 outings were a bust, then I started reading the tide tables and solunar tables. Now, I don't waste a whole lot of time guessing when the best time to catch is. Try it out.

thanks for the tip i tried reading the wave chart goes over my head,
i did have a very good time.. still new to the surf scene but getting a hang of it going to san Diego next week end any one know any good spot for surf fishing?

SP Dan
07-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi ya lostfisherman,

Welcome to surf fishing and to our FNN family site! :Big Grin:

I always try to remember or write down the conditions, the tides and the time of day the fish start biting along with what bait I was using. Also get your self a measuring tape and a camera....to document your catches!

Also, I agree with skunked4life's suggestions to you, very sound advice to follow.

One more thing....learn your beaches....some beaches fish better when drained....while other beaches fish better when flooded.
I've hooked into a Striped Bass at one particular beach while the tide was at 1.8 ft and three weeks later at that very same beach when the tide was at 6 ft plus! Go figure :EyePop:!! Most of the time it's a guess.

Added Note: Use all the INTEL available to you...make your best educated guess....and always....always....follow you gut! :Wink: Good luck!

Good luck out there and keep your reports coming! Tight lines! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><