PDA

View Full Version : Stuff i need? Bait, rigs, terminal, Flies?

fishermanx14
07-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Hey guys,
Ill be making a 5 day trip up to the june loop and mabye the lower O next weekend. I have 2 6'6 medium light poles with 6lb main line, and one 8wt fly rod. I assume 2lb leader right? What type of rigs and bait have you had the most luck with and how do you rig them and with what size leader?.I can tie my own flies and have a bunch of hares ears and of course some EHC. If i wanted to fish some plastics how would i go about doing so? With a bobber? Or with just a jig head. Where do you guys think my best bet would be in the june loop?
All advice is appreciated,
Christian

pc2mac
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, 2 lb leader would be better because of the clarity of the water up in the sierras. Definitely nothing more than 4lb test. I almost always use a carolina rig with a sliding sinker about a swivel. I usually pre-tie 3 to 4 feet leaders with a size 10 or 12 baitholder hooks for use with inflated crawlers and some with treble hooks for use with powerbait. You pick up a worm inflater at any of the local tackle shops. I usually dip my nightcrawlers in some type of garlic scent. You'll see these at the tackleshops as well. I don't usually fish the loop so can't offer any advice on the best spots there. I always do well at Lake Mary around mammoth or the Virginia Lakes a little further north.... Good luck.

riverside_angler
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
it has been a few years since I've been in the loop, but I think a 3-4 foot leader is too long. It will almost be impossible to cast that with your 6'6" poles. I would go with a leader of approx 18" and then either shorten or lengthen it depending on the bite. If you want to use plastics, get yourself some power worms and drop shot them. If you don't know how to tie a drop shot, just google it...it's very easy. You should also consider throwing thomas buyount's, super dupers, and kastmasters.

If you are throwing the lures, go ahead and stick with the 6lb line. the fish won't see it as the lure is moving through the water. For the bait and wait stuff and the drop shot, I would highly recommend going with 2lb line. Generally the fish are smaller in size so you should be fine.

good luck.

fishermanx14
07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
thanks guys!

pc2mac
07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Agreed, a four foot leader is too long. I was thinking of a fly and bubble rig. For bait, I usually use about a two foot leader that my 6' 6" rod can cast easily....

TroutFishin
07-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Christian,
How was the fishing? Any report is much approeciated as I'm going to the June loop area on Wednesday. Thank you in advnace.