PDA

View Full Version : Another day on the L.A. River

vortec_cruiser
07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I took another trip to my favorite spot on the L.A. River. Light traffic on the freeway allowed me to get there by 7:30 AM. With no other fishermen in sight, I was alone on the sandy beach along the tranquil river. There was barely any breeze stirring, and the mother ducks with their ducklings swam about, finding food for their flocks. Yes, it looks like it will be a fine day to catch some carp.

I was using an 8' Phenix Mirage rod with a Shimano Stradic Mgfb 1000 spinning reel, spooled with 4-lb. test mono. I've lost a fair number of these big carp with 4-lb. line, but not as many as I used to lose with 2-lb. Threading three kernals of corn on the hook of my Carolina Rig, I was ready for battle. The water here is about three feet deep, except for some slightly deeper areas. For the most part I only fish the three foot water. Casting out about forty feet to where there is an easy current, I wait for my opponent. It's not long before I see a slight twitch in the rod tip, but I'm not sure if it's actually a carp or just some algae floating into the line. Not wanting to be too quick with a hookset, I relax and wait to see more action on the rod tip. It doesn't take long to find out that it is indeed a fish playing with the bait. A quick flick of my wrist, and I'm hooked into what seems like a relative of Moby Dick. He takes off in a drag-burning run downstream of about 100 feet. He then stops, and it seems like my line is hooked to a rock, but this rock now takes off for the other side of the river. After two more runs and a lot of surface breaks, I'm able to coax him up to the shore, so I can photograph and release this brute.

This carp, and four similar-sized ones, were released unharmed to continue their lazy lives in the L.A. River.
I did hook three other carp, but they were able to break off after only a couple minutes into the fight. I only got pictures of two of the fish, since I don't like stressing these fish unnecessarily. The carp in the first photo has a large scar on his back from some unknown injury earlier in its life. It almost looked as if someone had swung an axe at it, and struck it across the back. It certainly didn't affect its ability to put up a strong fight.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/carp2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/carp1.jpg

old pudd fisher
07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks vortec, I seen your last post and glad you had another good carp day.

vortec_cruiser
07-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Old Pudd Fisher. I'm always glad to share my fishing experiences.

ScottyP
07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Great job Ed! Sorry I couldn't make it out there this morning, had way too much to do.

white belt
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Nice report and pics vortec. What other fish have you spotted in the river?

TUNAVIC
07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Very cool VC,I'm not asking but I'd like to know that spot,as I live about 1/4mile from the L.A.R,I guess I should just start searching,how about just what city it's in?
No problem at all if you don't want to divulge,you can pm me though,regardless congrats and thanks for the report!

Cya Tuna Vic

The Fishing Queen
07-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Another good job catching the carp, Ed! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

vortec_cruiser
07-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Great job Ed! Sorry I couldn't make it out there this morning, had way too much to do.

You missed a good day on the river. Maybe see you next weekend.

VIVID_FLY
07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Another good day for you Ed at the LA RIVER. I cant wait to go back and try again on the fly.

vortec_cruiser
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Another good day for you Ed at the LA RIVER. I cant wait to go back and try again on the fly.

Chuck, I've been very tempted to take my fly rod, but what flies would you use for carp?

VIVID_FLY
07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Look up FISHNFUN post of his flies .... he uses the GLOW BUGS .... i have seen some youtube vids on guys using crayfish patterns to midges... Im really looking forward to going when there is more topwater feeding maybe throw a BREAD BALL looking fly something big and fluffy that floats well.

Chuck, I've been very tempted to take my fly rod, but what flies would you use for carp?

vortec_cruiser
07-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Look up FISHNFUN post of his flies .... he uses the GLOW BUGS .... i have seen some youtube vids on guys using crayfish patterns to midges... Im really looking forward to going when there is more topwater feeding maybe throw a BREAD BALL looking fly something big and fluffy that floats well.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

vortec_cruiser
07-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Another good job catching the carp, Ed! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Fishing experiences should be shared. :Big Grin: