PDA

View Full Version : best method to catch top smelt?

troutmastahh
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
been trying to catch smelt to use them for live bait, but the sabiki rigs only catch the big ones, anyone have methods that work for catching them? im open to anything, thanks.

ml8fish
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
a fish trap with sourdough or rye bread for bait has worked pretty good for me, tie it off a couple feet down, best soaked overnight, but usually just a couple hours can get you several small baitfish, you can also use a little squid or oily fish chummed out in the general area to bring em in with good results.

Haywood Jablome
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
^^^ also used crackers 1 time, didnt have bread

smokehound
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I used to just get an umbrella net hold it about 3 feet under the surface.

Just keep throwing small pieces of bread over the center of the net while slowly bringing the net up.

Caution: this is illegal in Newport harbor. Quickest way to make bait IMO.

troutmastahh
07-13-2012, 06:41 PM
i have a fish trap, and everytime ive taken it out it has failed. i put dog food, hot dog buns, squid, and a dead crab.not all at the same time though. im doing most of my fishing out of marina del rey. it just really blows because a cast net would do the job so well...but you know..smh oh well. ive seen a few people with an umbrella net before and that has seemed to work for them...i'll give that a try... thanks. and anyone else who has ideas, anything is appreciated.