PDA

View Full Version : First bass on the fly!! AM @ Legg 7/7

white belt
07-07-2012, 12:22 PM
It's my last weekend off before I have to return to work from leave and I didn't think I'd get any fishing in since we are taking care of a customer's dog but my wife tells me this morning, "Why don't you go fishing?" and I don't need to be told twice :LOL:

So I get to Legg around 8am and there are quite a few bass fishermen on the lake. I decided to fish the North side of the top lake since last time I fished the other side. Started fishing the first drain by the parking lot and saw nothing. Moved to the next drain area and caught my first on an adams fly #16. Nice fight OK size, had to put him on the grass because of the fence.

http://i50.tinypic.com/ji0tpz.jpg

Caught two more small ones here and then kept moving around the lake to this channel area. Wanted to try the hopper again and damn I have terrible luck with this fly. Every cast I was getting tangled like crazy. As I was untangling I notice someone catching gills back to back and it's Robert! Chatted for a bit and we both thought the fish were only biting if the fly was a bit submerged so I switched to a hares ear#16. As I'm telling Robert about how I don't have luck with this fly I catch three on it. First one was darker but as the sun came out I noticed more orange and lighter colors.

http://i48.tinypic.com/smt4qo.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zgvz91.jpg

Saw a few juvenile bass cruising and I said I really wanted to catch one but they are picky. I moved back to the structure where I started and saw a few hanging out by this concrete block. I know now they respond to fast so a few cast and no reaction but I keep going faster and faster and eventually it blows up the fly! I lost my pliers last time so I had trouble getting it unhooked. Plus you know Legg is dirty as F_ _ _ , especially by the drains, so it had all this muck and poo and weeds on it. The hook went through the plating on the mouth as well and it was hard to pop out by hand. Got it out and unfortunately this is my pic of it:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34823w5.jpg

Jumped right back in as I was about to take the pic. :LOL: It was about 10" and put up a fun fight.

Cliff notes: 3 gills on the adams fly, 3 gills & 1 bass on the hares ear, 0 on the hopper. Left at 11am. Place was packed.

Viejo
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Congrats on your first Bass on the fly. We need to get you someplace where you can catch some fish without a crowd of people standing around.

bassfishing24/7
07-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Nice job out there,i hate those dammm weekend crowds!!

Viejo
07-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Congrats on your first Bass on the fly. We need to get you someplace where you can catch some fish without a crowd of people standing around.

You mentioned going back to work from leave....are you active duty military?

zenmic
07-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Nice job at Legg. Last Sunday with the Orvis 201 class we were using bead head nymph and catching bluegills. They were not taking any dry flies. We stayed on the north pond, we saw a nice size bass but it did not take anything. I guess you found the key for that guy.

That north pond has a lot of muck, but the bluegills seem to like hiding in there.

I work all week, so I can only fish the weekend. :Crying:

The Fishing Queen
07-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Good report and congrats on your first bass! Hares Ear is my #1 choice for panfish, # 2 choice is a size 18 elk caddis, #3 choice is Adam fly, #4 is BH nymph. Looks like you did well and improved your skill with fly fishing in these days. Good job!

white belt
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys for reading! Viejo I'm not in the Armed forces just had a baby girl. I do boring desk work.

Oh and about the weekend crowd, someone actually asked me to keep the bass and I met a kid casting a live bg. I told him DFG would fine him. He said he has a flyrod and wanted to fish with me next weekend. Maybe i'll take him up on him and educate the young one next time I see him.

fishmounter
07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
White belt- Nice going! Are you tying your own flies? There's something special about catching fish on the flyrod, even if they are on the small side. It's even more fun when they hit your own hand-tyed flies or poppers.

white belt
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
White belt- Nice going! Are you tying your own flies? There's something special about catching fish on the flyrod, even if they are on the small side. It's even more fun when they hit your own hand-tyed flies or poppers.

Indeed! It just gets the blood pumping when you sight fish, actually see the fly getting bit, and once you set the hook, this pole goes wild haha even on the little guys. Can't wait to catch a nice brown or something on my fly rod.

And I haven't started tying flies yet. Maybe when I get my own place and have a spare room. For now, I get my flies from fliesdirect on ebay.

bluegillwarrior
07-08-2012, 03:41 PM
fishing for bg this morning one 12" LM swallow my bg which got loose and I end up hooking the bass will that be a ticket if caught?

FishinElectrician
07-10-2012, 01:28 AM
fishing for bg this morning one 12" LM swallow my bg which got loose and I end up hooking the bass will that be a ticket if caught?Was that you that was fishin the north lake with that sick spinning set up???? I was the guy sittin on the bridge talkin with the other fisherman, Arnold was his name, I believe.

Ifishtoolittle
07-10-2012, 01:57 AM
fishing for bg this morning one 12" LM swallow my bg which got loose and I end up hooking the bass will that be a ticket if caught?

As long as you don't intentionally allow the bass to eat your bluegill you should be fine.

smokinflies
07-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Nice bro.

You got me heading out there right now. Hope I get the same results.

... There's something special about catching fish on the flyrod, even if they are on the small side...

X2. There's nothing like catching "on the fly".

white belt
07-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Good luck smokinflies. Today is a nice day to fish too.