PDA

View Full Version : stingrays

reelgurlzfish
07-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm looking on the dfg regs and am not finding anything on stingrays. If anyone can shed some light any info is appreciated . Also I'm c urious how good of eats they are . We catch so many I'm thinking I want to try and cook them up.

Viejo
07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Don't know if they are regulated or not. Google DFG regs and look it up. Sting Rays can be eaten. The flesh in the thickest part of the wing is white and firm. We used to skin them....fillet them and punch out rounds to cook like scallops in oil, garlic and herbs. Pretty tasty.

reelgurlzfish
07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Sounds tasty! Thanks for the info

smokehound
07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Not much tasty meat, you'd be better off with shovelnose, they taste great!

If you do want to try some stingrays, remember to bleed them thoroughly, then immediately cut the meat out and ice it promptly.

Shark and ray blood breaks down into Urea, if not handled properly, the meat will smell like fishy urine. They'll still be edible, just not choice.

reelgurlzfish
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Mmmmmm fishy urine lol. I was reading last night that after you filet the ready you should soak it in salt and water to eliminate the ammonia. I hear alot of mixed reviews on the taste .

Stray Cat
07-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Mmmmmm fishy urine lol. I was reading last night that after you filet the ready you should soak it in salt and water to eliminate the ammonia. I hear alot of mixed reviews on the taste . Ice ,salt water and add even more salt . This will make a slurry that will get very cold. I threw a blue shark in this mix after i head and gutted it . And when i steaked it , it had no smell and tasted fine. Blue sharks usually smell like piss , but this semmed to do the trick.