PDA

View Full Version : 7/5- A day to remember

riverside_angler
07-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Well, I was able to squeeze in another day and was looking forward to a slay. Got to the lake at 5:15, convinced my buddy to upgrade our basic rental into a "premium," man this was going to be a great day. With the clouds rolling in, I anticipated a great topwater bite for the morning and was ready to switch to the jig and worm for the remainder part of the day. Well before I was able to board the rental, the entire mood for the day changed. As I held 8 rods in my hand the dock guy (docker) told me to board the boat. I have rented a boat at DVL about 50 times (no exaggeration) and know the ropes, although this was my first time on a "premium" boat. Well unfortunately the docker failed to tell me that the boat is finished in an oily substance and as I placed my foot on the deck, the narrow boat pitched to the side and off I went into the drink.

On my way into this mass of drinking water, I managed to snap my buddy's brand new Clarus rod, cut open my knee, and fried my iphone. The docker asked if I lived close so I could go get some dry clothes and I responded by taking of my soaked sweatshirt, t-shirt, and said I'm ready to go out on the lake. For some reason this surprised him as there was a gaze in eye suggesting that I was the crazy one. Well long story short, my buddy and I spent the next 9 hours on the lake and managed about a dozen largemouth, none bigger than 2.5 lbs. We landed them on jerks, spooks, jigs and worms. It was nice to get out there again but I think I will be taking a break from those rentals for awhile. They are expensive, noisy, the equipment is crap, oh and they tip. So, until I am able to capitalize on all of these degrees I have and buy my own bass boat, I will be keeping an eye open for open seats and PM's inviting me on their rigs.

Good luck to all of you out there!

P.A.W.
07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Firstly, way to keep your sense of humor! Now the good news..... there is a nice, affordable Basstracker on Craigslist. I'm pretty sure it is being sold by a forum member (AllIdoisfish). I've seen it up close and it is CLEAN. Here's the link.... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/boa/3099311120.html

Rapala17
07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
So sorry to hear. That is why I stick to Perris! DVL is a rip-off in so many ways (economical and political). I only go if someone is going on their "new" boat.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

Chopjaw
07-06-2012, 08:50 PM
The is always using TheBassTaxi.com Ken is a super great guy. He is always on time and has never let me down. Besides, the price of his boat is $20 more expensive than what DVL offers. Ken runs a Skeeter and a Nitro rentals. I've used him 2 time and have always been thankful that I did.

Chop.

dixoncider
07-07-2012, 04:31 AM
50 rentals..you could have bought your own boat for that..and then some..

bassoholic
07-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Well, I was able to squeeze in another day and was looking forward to a slay. Got to the lake at 5:15, convinced my buddy to upgrade our basic rental into a "premium," man this was going to be a great day. With the clouds rolling in, I anticipated a great topwater bite for the morning and was ready to switch to the jig and worm for the remainder part of the day. Well before I was able to board the rental, the entire mood for the day changed. As I held 8 rods in my hand the dock guy (docker) told me to board the boat. I have rented a boat at DVL about 50 times (no exaggeration) and know the ropes, although this was my first time on a "premium" boat. Well unfortunately the docker failed to tell me that the boat is finished in an oily substance and as I placed my foot on the deck, the narrow boat pitched to the side and off I went into the drink.

On my way into this mass of drinking water, I managed to snap my buddy's brand new Clarus rod, cut open my knee, and fried my iphone. The docker asked if I lived close so I could go get some dry clothes and I responded by taking of my soaked sweatshirt, t-shirt, and said I'm ready to go out on the lake. For some reason this surprised him as there was a gaze in eye suggesting that I was the crazy one. Well long story short, my buddy and I spent the next 9 hours on the lake and managed about a dozen largemouth, none bigger than 2.5 lbs. We landed them on jerks, spooks, jigs and worms. It was nice to get out there again but I think I will be taking a break from those rentals for awhile. They are expensive, noisy, the equipment is crap, oh and they tip. So, until I am able to capitalize on all of these degrees I have and buy my own bass boat, I will be keeping an eye open for open seats and PM's inviting me on their rigs.

Good luck to all of you out there!

Speaking of that...........you have my shirt too! A day to remember, gotta love it! Anyone know if there is a warranty on those CLarus Rods? I think it was only $90.00 or so. I don't think I ever used it and it still had the plastic on the split grip?

Nessie Hunter
07-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Go with Ken & BassTaxi..
Much better and cost is so close to rental... (except Wed)
I have used him and was happy I did.....

headcase881
07-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Speaking of that...........you have my shirt too! A day to remember, gotta love it! Anyone know if there is a warranty on those CLarus Rods? I think it was only $90.00 or so. I don't think I ever used it and it still had the plastic on the split grip?

yeah its like 10 bucks-20 buck at last chance for a replacement i dont know if its one of those you have to purchase it there things though but i know shimano has a awesome warrenty and they do have shops that are part of the over the counter warrenty system

bassoholic
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM
yeah its like 10 bucks-20 buck at last chance for a replacement i dont know if its one of those you have to purchase it there things though but i know shimano has a awesome warrenty and they do have shops that are part of the over the counter warrenty system

Thanks......Aaron hook it up!

headcase881
07-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Thats the reson i bought mine because no matter how well i try to take care of a rod something dumb always happens

fishmounter
07-07-2012, 12:47 PM
The rental boat is finished in an oily substance?! WTH? A rental boat that the general public pays good money to use should be finished with a non-skid surface, or at least bare or painted aluminum. Boats are usually wet in the morning and can be slippery, but should NOT have anything slippery put on them! I'm not a person that knows all the legality and laws of recreational boat rental marinas, nor do I like the idea of monetary gain thru law suits, but if there was something slippery on one of their rental boats that were suppose to be cleaned and ready to let fishermen take out for a day of fishing, and someone slipped and fell in the water, I think they should be held liable. What if you hit your head and drowned. What if it was your elderly father? You cut your knee. Did it require stitches? You broke an expensive rod. They should replace it. They should also give you a free boat rental and also find out why the boat was slippery. I think that maybe you should look into this mishap further so no one else falls and gets hurt, possibly worse than you... By the way, good going on the bass fishing. I'm glad you at least caught some fish!

riverside_angler
07-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks fishmounter for your concerns. The "oily substance" reference was somewhat of a sarcastic remark although the boat was extremely slippery, especially for being painted in that textured non-slip paint. As an attorney, I should have probably thought of some of the points you raised, especially getting the rental for free for the day. I think I was more focused on catching fish as I rarely get to fish these days. I will just chalk up the experience as one I will try and forget, although I think it will be hard to forget a day like this.

Thanks for the responses. Oh, and for those of you who mentioned the Bass Taxi, I am aware of that operation as I have been on that boat multiple times. His rental wasn't available for that day.

Thanks for all the responses. I hope to be out there again soon.

bassoholic
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks fishmounter for your concerns. The "oily substance" reference was somewhat of a sarcastic remark although the boat was extremely slippery, especially for being painted in that textured non-slip paint. As an attorney, I should have probably thought of some of the points you raised, especially getting the rental for free for the day. I think I was more focused on catching fish as I rarely get to fish these days. I will just chalk up the experience as one I will try and forget, although I think it will be hard to forget a day like this.

Thanks for the responses. Oh, and for those of you who mentioned the Bass Taxi, I am aware of that operation as I have been on that boat multiple times. His rental wasn't available for that day.

Thanks for all the responses. I hope to be out there again soon.

Go fall down in Walmart while you're at it....lol. For the money they charge, they should at LEAST wipe the boats down in the morning for the price you are paying for them. Nothing like freezing my *** off at 530 am then have to sit in a wet seat! What a joke..........we are never renting a boat there AGAIN!

fishfinder
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
50 rentals..you could have bought your own boat for that..and then some..

For those of you who have owned a boat, you know its cheaper to rent than own.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

FishinMishin
07-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

which that it is true it's money pit.

for riverside_angler that sucks man, way to start out the day too all wet but I like your attitude, A true diehard fishermen I would have to say.

dixoncider
07-08-2012, 04:34 AM

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

It's not always about doing it cheaper ok...Those rentals are a joke. they call them the frying pan's.. If that's your deal fine..But you can get a small bass tracker type boat for $3500 ish..

P.A.W.
07-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Dunno about that. Had my Tracker for a couple years now and spent a whopping $185 for a starter. That's it. Any other dough was spent on fun stuff I didn't really need like upgrading the trolling motor.

dixoncider
07-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Dunno about that. Had my Tracker for a couple years now and spent a whopping $185 for a starter. That's it. Any other dough was spent on fun stuff I didn't really need like upgrading the trolling motor.

$185 for a few years? Seems like a pretty good deal.. Costs $100 plus just to put gas in a truck so $185 does not seem to "whopping"

P.A.W.
07-08-2012, 09:12 AM
That was my point. I meant to post that as a quoted response to "fishfinder" but hit quick reply instead so it looks like I was responding to you. OOPS! :)

bassdeceiver
07-08-2012, 11:00 PM
got any pix?

DEVOREFLYER
07-09-2012, 08:14 AM
$185 for a starter, that's chump change, how about $740 for an alternator for a 200 Optimax. Ask me how I know.:Crying:

bassgrabber1
07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Riverside-angler.....I told you that you need a B.A.B.A. shirt... its good luck! Sorry about your day bud.

HawgZWylde
07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Riverside-angler.....I told you that you need a B.A.B.A. shirt... its good luck! Sorry about your day bud.

Was that what helped you become one of the new BM Lunker Club members?

bassgrabber1
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Was that what helped you become one of the new BM Lunker Club members?lol....no that was just luck.

riverside_angler
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Sorry guys, no pics of this exciting day. My phone no longer worked after being submerged (it was in my pocket) and my buddy didn't think of using his phone to take any pics.

Bassgrabber- I'm waiting for my size Large T-shirt in the mail. Maybe it will change my luck.

Thanks all!

HawgZWylde
07-09-2012, 01:51 PM
lol....no that was just luck.

Luck or not, congrats catching that fine pig, and your 30 days of print fame, lol...

bassgrabber1
07-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Luck or not, congrats catching that fine pig, and your 30 days of print fame, lol...

Hahaha...thanx..

bassgrabber1
07-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Sorry guys, no pics of this exciting day. My phone no longer worked after being submerged (it was in my pocket) and my buddy didn't think of using his phone to take any pics.

Bassgrabber- I'm waiting for my size Large T-shirt in the mail. Maybe it will change my luck.

Thanks all!
Sorry bro ...all I have are 2xl right now....$12