PDA

View Full Version : I hate asking for help :-/

LuckyBasser
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Ok I wanna start off a lil off topic by saying that asking for advice is not my best skill. I also realize that when I don't ask for help or advice before trying something new to me (when it comes to fishing especially) I don't get very good results. With that said, I'm getting married in 2 weeks and my best friend knows that instead of a ridiculous bachelor party, I would rather go on a nice fishing trip. So he booked me on a 3/4 day trip on the Spitfire out of Marina Del Rey. I have only been on 1 deep sea trip in Alaska, and it was just me, 2 other people, and the captain. From what I gather this is going to be quite different. A buddy of mine used to work on the spitfire coincidentally, so I'm covered on Reels, Line, and rods, But he hasn't been on the water in like 5 years and couldn't tell me specifically what was going on out there right now, nor could he tell me what I need in way of hooks, weights, jigheads, swimbaits, or even if I can bring my own lunch with Me. If anyone has ridden the spitfire lately or knows any of these things, I would love some feedback. You can PM me or just reply here. Thx if you can help, no worries if you can't. Thx FNN.

reelgurlzfish
07-06-2012, 07:39 AM
I found that on these trips its easiest to call and talk to someone about what you should bring. Its going to depend in what they are going after. I went out and felt I was prepared. Turned out all I needed was a10oz drop weight. We were going 300’down for rock fish. Have cash too to top the deck hands. Travel light because the boat can get busy. Food is always good in the galley . You will have a blast !

reelgurlzfish
07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Oh yeah ....and don't forget your fishing license ! Lol .... And above meant to type 'tip' the deckhands. Good luck!

headcase881
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
YUP bring stuff to get to the bottom and may be a couple 1/4-1/2 ounce eeg sinkers for fly lineing i use the weight to get below the smaller cuda and like the post above bring cash to have your catch cut in fillet

LuckyBasser
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Ya I got the tip part down. In Alaska the captains get very nice tips, and I myself have worked for tips for years. Tips are necessary EVERYWHERE! (terrible service excluded). Thx for the info on the sinkers also, I'm headed to the tackle shop now. And I guess I could try some galley food, but I could just bring a sandwich and not pay 7 dollars for it. ;-) thx for the info once again.

evosamurai
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
fillet your catch yourself, deckhands hack n whack and waste a lot of good meat

smokehound
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Sometimes you get one that's really good at it.

I generally fillet my catch myself. It just feels right.

I actually enjoy filleting fish, as morbid as that sounds :lol:

LuckyBasser
07-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Naw that's not morbid, I've been watching videos on YouTube for the past couple of days of just filleting. My favorite one so far is called "filleting the 110 lb halibut." My buddy that used to work on the spitfire was the fillet man, maybe I.could just get him to do it.

evosamurai
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM

or like last year i went out on a 2 day, and out of 16 guys there were 3 tuna, 1 being mine...so the deckhands werent rushed when filleting i like it that way

murrieta angler
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
The spitfire usually heads out for sculpin for the first part of the trip then heads out for some bass action.
Take some lead ranging from 4-12 oz and maybe 1 16 oz, you never know the conditions.
For the bass, get some 1- 1 1/2 lead heads and some plastics.
The boat will probably have some squid as well as some live bait.
Yes, you can bring food!
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

fish_sauce
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
When are you going?

The Spitfire is doing really well on the Calico bass counts. My best advice is just to call up the landing and ask them what they recommend in terms of set up and gear, because they will know best what works.

Like how Robert mentioned above, it's a good idea to bring an assortment of weights just in case you come across strong bottom current and need to adjust to the conditions.

Lead heads also work great with a whole squid pinned onto it when you're fishing the kelp line. You could also use a 3/4 or 1oz sliding sinker with a size 1/0, 2/0, or 3/0 hook to get the sub-surface bite.

Good luck out there and let us know how you do!

Andrew

reelgurlzfish
07-06-2012, 05:05 PM

I actually enjoy filleting fish, as morbid as that sounds :lol: I'm horrible at fileting but I do love it. So far I've only done trout and catfish.

LuckyBasser
07-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info Andrew! I'm going on Friday the 13th. I went to grab some weights earlier and I think I'm doing ok. I'm going to take my own educated guessing, mix it in with the great info I've got here on this forum, then hope for the best. Thx again for all the great info once again!

Mike

P.S. thx a bunch murietta angler for the lunch tip especially, I'm a fan of taking a sandwich with me when I fish. A lil trick I learned from grandpa fisherman ;-)

reelgurlzfish
07-07-2012, 06:19 AM
You're welcome :-P

larry626
07-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Surprised no one asked you.. Why the heck are you getting married for? Good luck on your sentence. :LOL: