PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for south lake

mr. trout
08-23-2007, 05:24 PM
hey im going up to south lake this weekend for a quick trip to get my mind off my first week of school. my dads letting me take a couple of my friends. It is there first time fishing for trout and im just hoping to find a spot. we are staying at cabin 30 of parchers. it is my first time at south lake so i have no idea at all were to go. i hear the back by the inlet is good but im not sure. also i wnt to catch something in the creek near parchers if there are any spots there . I would relly appriciate any information on a spot in the lake or creek. you can eiher pm me or reply. any info is apriciated. Thank you very much

-Mr. Trout

Fisher-of-Men
08-23-2007, 05:33 PM
There are some nice locations on Bishop Creek just south of the Lake Sabrina Dam. Lake Sabrina is just 10 min up the road from South Lake.
There are day hike lakes everywhere that you can have the water all to yourself. I seek out the solitude areas when I go up there.
Get yourself a backpackers map of the area.

Good luck to ya! :wink:

Fisher-of-Men

TroutOnly
08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
if youre going to parchers ,ask for jered , he runs parchers and is there most all the time he will tell you all you need to know to have some fishing south lake and many of the other areas near by,,,TROUTONLY

Shock
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Do like T/O said... Find Jared.. If you can't then the guys working the South Lake landing can point you in the right direction.

For the creek, I fished what they call "Parcher's hole" and did alright. Its located right where the entrance to Parcher's resort, where the creek runs under the road and dumps out..

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/Picture070.jpg

Devious 1
08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Just before you get up to the resort you will pass a pond (Weir pond) on the road to South Lake (it is not marked but trust me, you can't miss it). You won't find much in terms of size in there but I have fished there at least once a month since the season opened and there have been very few casts that I didn't land a fish. It would be a good spot to take your buddies and get them comfortable with the gear/techniques etc.

Tight lines,
D1

PINKMEAT
08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I disagree about Wier not having big fish. You just have to know where to go in order to find them. :lol: That is one of my favorite spots to fish in all the Sierras.

As far as South Lake goes, try the "rock slide" area on bait or the troll. That should produce for you.

PINKMEAT

Shock
08-24-2007, 03:19 PM
As far as South Lake goes, try the "rock slide" area on bait or the troll. That should produce for you.

PINKMEAT

Yeah that is exactly where the guy at the landing told us to fish so we anchored up there and caught plenty of fish.

mr. trout
08-24-2007, 04:53 PM
hey guys thanks for all the info, but, i have a couple questions, where is the rock slide area and is wier pond close to parchers if not how far, thanks a lot

Devious 1
08-27-2007, 12:28 PM
hey guys thanks for all the info, but, i have a couple questions, where is the rock slide area and is wier pond close to parchers if not how far, thanks a lot

Good question, the lake is so low right now the entire shoreline looks like a rock slide area!!! But, I believe they are refering to the area straight down from the upper (overnight) parking lot. But, if you are up for the walk, go to the inlet at the back of the lake as the others suggested as this is one of the best spots in the canyon to fish.

As for the pond, you will drive right past it on your way up to the lake, you can't miss it. It is no more than 1/4mi. from the resort.