PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July skunkbuster!!!

skunked4life
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Date and Time: 07/04 @ 7:15 a.m.

Conditions: gloomy
Gear: Shimano terex boy spinning 7'1" light action; shimano sedona spinning reel; 10lb power pro sliced to 8lb halo flourocarbon
Lures: Gulp camo sandworm, berkeley alive ghost shrimp, 3" big hammer ghost shrimp

Well, I thought that I needed a well deserved break and decided to put in about 4 hours of fishing before getting ready to bbq for the 4th. Original plan was to get to the surf by 6am, but woke up late. Prepped my gear the night before so that I wouldn't forget anything (homage to smokehound).

Got out on the surf at 7:30 am and saw some guy bring in a legal flatty but I only brought one pole and did not want to re-tie for the LC. It was misting for about 45 minutes, overcast and gloomy. My first 45 minutes...nothing but putrid skunk.

At around 8:10ish, I got my first hit on 2" sandworm. Small BSP. At least I beat the skunk. 36052

Then, I decided to move. I had already covered about a mile of beach, but I was determined. Next spot, I hook up with about 10 small to medium BSPs. Even though I was using the 2" camo worm, they were biting them completely off! I switched from hammer rigging them to rigging them full body, leaving 1 cm of tail action...then I hook up with about 5 more in a row.

All of a sudden, I was getting nothing but tiny walleyes : ( I actually hooked a small YFC next.

Last fish of the surf session was a decent sized, I dunno about 11 inches???, BSP.

I was going to call it a day, but I couldn't leave because the parade had the road closed. So, I did what any responsible person would do, I went across the street and threw for bay fish! I tied on a big hammer and on my first cast, snagged! Then, I tied on a Berkeley Ghost shrimp that I had bought because I was thinking that they are pre-scented and look cool. I cast it on top of the end of a boat dock...epic fail...or was it? I managed to get the ghost shrimp to drop off at the end of the dock, parallel to the dock. I slow retrieved, then stopped, then gave it a couple of tugs, then stopped...all of a sudden....wait for it.....hook up! Whatever it was, it fought hard. I managed to get it about 10 yards in front of me and it jumped out of the water. I thought it was a big croaker because I only saw the white underbelly. I brought it up and to my surprise, my first spottie on an artificial!

It wasn't too big, but I was excited nonetheless! Can't wait for my exam to be over so that I can go back more often. Thanks for reading and thanks to all for your supportive replies to my past posts (SP Dan, smokehound, 24/7, Karyn, murrietta angler, all anyone else I have not mentioned)!

smokehound
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
no problem man. good job on the spottie.

I like to drag it slowly without reeling or bouncing sometimes, then just abruptly stop. That triggers alot of bites for me.

I get alot just dragging it slowly non-stop, being careful not to leave contact with the bottom.

bachiboy
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Nice job out there S4L! Looks like you're due for a name change. :Wink:

Don

skunked4life
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Nice job out there S4L! Looks like you're due for a name change. :Wink:

Don

Thanks bachiboy! Sorry I forgot to mention you. You were one of the first people to reach out to me. Much thanks! All in all, more so than the tips, techniques and other useful info, it was the confidence that I got from you guys who actually took the time to reach out to me and get me going that made the difference! Hope that I can pay it forward.

Newfishsmell
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Good job out there fishing the surf & bay. Those Bay Bass are fun, but I gotta warn you !
Spottie fever is hard to cure, have fun.

bassfishing24/7
07-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Nice job out there skunked,ive never bothered to hit the surf side since I hooked up on my first spottie!!!

murrieta angler
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Now that's a nice mix of fish for the day.
Great Job!

Robert
<><