PDA

View Full Version : Legg AM 7/3

white belt
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Fished the top lake at Legg today from 8-1030. Caught 3 gills on an adams fly, zero on the hares ear, bh nymph and another disappointing shut out for the hoppers. Nothing big so no pics just quickly released.

I did notice they cut all the tall weeds, mainly by the man made falls area. I think this affected the fish cause I saw 4-5 huge bass just sitting around the shores. I also found the structures by the shore were holding a lot more big fish. Bass up to 4-5lb and palm size panfish. A bunch of little babies hanging out in the open as well which cant be good. Oh I also spotted what had to be a 20 lb koi! This kid fishing by me said its in that same spot every morning. Pretty awesome sight.

Fun day, saw lots of big fish. Dunno if its because of the lack of weeds or if its just because its my first time fishing the top lake with my bps sunglasses, but I hope they arent extra vulnerable to poachers without places to hide.

If anyone finds my pliers, red n black, please return them to me! They fell in the water and I forgot them by the banks a little above the man made falls spot.

zenmic
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I was with the last of the Orvis 201 fly fishing class on Sunday morning at Legg. We also hit the 1st pond (the North one) and I was surprise at how low the water was, but there were LOTS of bluegills very close to the shoreline, right where the shelf cuts off and the water starts to get deep; with polarized glasses you could see them. We were all using nymphs, but one of the instructors was using what was either a grasshopper or a beetle dry. The other instructor was using a sink line and a streamer. I was using a beads head hair ear nymph and got three little ones. We circled that first pond. The instructor with the streamer and I saw a nice size shadow in the water (very large-mouth bass shaped) about 2.5lbs right before the bend to the ball field. He lobbed the streamer to that shadow and the shadow swam to it a few times, but in the end that bass gave him the fin and swam away. We went by that spot again around 1pm and the bass shadow was gone, but a fingerling bass hit and ran with my nymph. That was pretty funny. Eveybody got at least one. As it got later, it was harder to spot the fish.

white belt
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Good stuff zenmic. I saw a couple of juvy lmb too. Everytime I sped up the hopper they turned but no bites. The big boys didnt even give it a glance.

I caught 2 of my gills in that zone you're talking about. Lots of fish were holding there.

Did anyone see that massive koi?

DarkShadow
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM
.... I saw 4-5 huge bass just sitting around the shores.

This is music to the Bucket Brigade's ears! It's like spawning season all over again. Time to break out the super secret bass bait:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Weighted-8-0-Treble-Snag-Hook-Snagging-Hooks-/00/$(KGrHqEOKiME3)moE)OwBN-i-0RTL!~~_35.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dark "Keep Everything I Catch" Shadow
Brigadier Sergeant at Arms
BUCKET BRIGADE REPRESENT!!!

http://s13.postimage.org/h741ezw3n/BUCKET.png

www.bucketbrigadeer.com (http://www.bucketbrigadeer.com/)
Chasing stocking trux and bustin capz. That's how we roll!

white belt
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Lets hope they snap out of that daze before the weekend hits.

zenmic
07-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I never saw the huge koi. I did see a nice size school of bluegill hiding under the shade of some of the floating algae right at west end of the 1st pond right where the drainage inlet is at. I could not get my fly under there, but if I could it would have been fun.