PDA

View Full Version : What's going on?

technician
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Spent all day in Dana yesterday. The last few weeks have been fantastic with a great halibut bite and 15 Barrie days. But not yesterday, my buddy got skunked I only had two Barrie's, and another friend had one Hali. What has changed? I'm actually getting bored of that harbor bothe the front and backside. I guess the real question is, does anyone know of some good spots to shore fish in the oc area. I have pics I'll put them up as soon as I figure that out.

P.s thanks to kingfishtaco for taking time out of your precious fishing time to help a fellow out. Your good people

Tight lines guys
Josh

Re8elmonk0341
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the sport and that's why we call it "fishing" and not "catching". One day it can be completely dead and the next you can't keep 'em your hook.

There's a lot of things to consider like time of day, tides, water clarity, temp etc etc

I always check the tides, weather, and surf reports days before I head out anywhere. Think of it as "intel" and always make a mentaln not of what you're doing "right now" and make the nesseccary changes.

I'm no expert but I hope his helps. There's a lot of knowledgable members on here that don't mind helping while most are here to lurk, get info and won't even post/reply unless they see pictures.

But good luck.

SP Dan
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi ya technician,

I always keep a log of every session. One of the entries in my log is the water temperature. I was logging the waters down your way at 66 and up by BU at 64-65. Lately in the Santa Monica Bay area....I've been getting readings of 59-60 degrees while all along the readings have been consistently closer to 65 degrees.
I do believe that the cool down of the water in our areas may have disrupted the fantastic bite in our fisheries.

So...hang in there and don't give up....the bite will light up again soon....so be ready! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

jerryG
07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
As mentioned any sudden drop in water temperature will kill the bite everytime, tides, moon (moon phase has a significant impact on the bite), also presence of bait fish or lack there of will effect the bite especially in the case of pelagic fish such as barracuda which are constantly on the move in search of bait fish.

Jerryg

JL
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I just noticed this post. I added a post today asking for an explanation of Water roll over..... which i now believe is the cause of the dirty water and lower water temps.

The temps did drop what i call substantially from 66 down to 62 at with 2 - 3 miles outside of Dana Harbor. We too had a great week the last week of June and then absolutely nothing the last 5 days. I also check tides and temp but sometimes you cannot trust the NOA water temp information. Although they say it is "observed" I sometimes think it is estimated by someone sitting at home on a computer. FYI last night July 4 the water temps in Long beach were down to 61.3

technician
07-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I saw your post about that and it got me thinking. Thanks for info