PDA

View Full Version : which overnighter trip?

Armofisher818
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey guys i want to step up the game this year and head out on an overnighter trip or multi day trip for the first time and i want to know what kind of tackle I should take with me. So if you guys can help with some tips and tackle for the trip that would be cool. And when would be the best time to go on an overnighter or multi day trip? I'm thinking August or September so maybe i can land tuna or dorado. And is there anything I should look for in the weather before I go out? Thanks, tight lines.

etucker1959
07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Picking an overnight trip is like handicapping horse's at Santa Anita. The most recent results is your best indicator of what's going to happen on your trip maybe? If you want tuna around Labor Day is a good bet. The closer it is to when you want to go ask the same question or pm me. I'm handicapping these fish every damn day of my life.

Armofisher818
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Picking an overnight trip is like handicapping horse's at Santa Anita. The most recent results is your best indicator of what's going to happen on your trip maybe? If you want tuna around Labor Day is a good bet. The closer it is to when you want to go ask the same question or pm me. I'm handicapping these fish every damn day of my life.
Ok thanks for the help, ill pm you about a week or so before i head out. I appreciate you offering to help its cool to know someone can help you with a pm.

etucker1959
07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Ok thanks for the help, ill pm you about a week or so before i head out. I appreciate you offering to help its cool to know someone can help you with a pm.
Iv'e been a hardcore saltwater guy since 1974 and my memory is first rate. Just off the top of my head, I recalled that for the past 6 years straight wev'e had good tuna fishing and more around Labor Day in San Diego. Every year is different but count on something to be happening at that time of the year. Their's an old offshore expression about tuna, that you really need to know when it comes to the weather. If the weather is up the fish are down, if the weather is down the fish are up. I pay more attention to the weather more then anything else when fishing offshore. I almost forgot the second most important thing, you must pick a good boat and captain, if not your screwed. If your not sure who's good just ask, I keep track of all of them.

Armofisher818
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Iv'e been a hardcore saltwater guy since 1974 and my memory is first rate. Just off the top of my head, I recalled that for the past 6 years straight wev'e had good tuna fishing and more around Labor Day in San Diego. Every year is different but count on something to be happening at that time of the year. Their's an old offshore expression about tuna, that you really need to know when it comes to the weather. If the weather is up the fish are down, if the weather is down the fish are up. I pay more attention to the weather more then anything else when fishing offshore. I almost forgot the second most important thing, you must pick a good boat and captain, if not your screwed. If your not sure who's good just ask, I keep track of all of them.
Ill keep that quote in mind, i just gotta figure it out lol. I usally leave out of san pedro 22nd street landing but i might be able to book a ride out of san diego if i convince my dad to take me. But for tuna fishing dont we need mexican visas, fishing permits, and so on? Plus the tickets are more expensive i guess maybe ill just keep a local one out of san pedro or an overnighter out of san diego depends on my luck.