PDA

View Full Version : Dinkey Creek Trout Action

Troutin Man
07-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Went up to Dinkey Creek in Sierra National Forest this weekend with the family. Dinkey Creek is not so Dinkey. More a river with many pools for trout to hide in. Trout was everywhere. Caught many trout and released a ton since we only wanted to eat 4 of them. My son and I had a blast! Absolutely beautiful and scenic. Trout were active and went after night crawlers, chartreuse power bait, and salmon egg red power bait. Went after a few flies too! If you get a chance to go up, I highly recommend. Dinkey Creek Campground is awesome and they have cabins too (Dinkey Creek Inn).

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Troutin
Good to read others are hitting the west side of the Sierras. I've been going there since I was just a kid, some 50 years ago. That side of the Sierras has more favorable weather and prettier scenery in my opinion, and the trout fishing is great too.
Have you tried fishing the Kings River below Wishon Res. or above the Res? You can drive down below the res and park to hike the river to fish. There are many pools along the river which the flow is highly regulated to keep the fishery alive.
The farther downstrem you hike, the bigger the fish.....with good possibilities of landing a trophy sized brown trout too.
Above the res, the Kings River is also very good to fish. Mostly holdover rainbows up to 19 inches, lots of naturals, and a limit of trout will probably include one or two browns. Only problem is getting there, which is only accessible by boat. BUT THE FISHING IS GREAT ! Bait fish with nightcrawlers, crickets, or salmon eggs. Rapalas, 3/8 oz Kastmasters, Thomas Bouyants, Panther Martin spinners for lures. Beadhead nymphs, beadhead wooly buggers, leaches and streamers for flies.
Wishon Village is a very nice campground for both RVs and tent campers. their link.....
http://www.wishonvillage.com/
I've reccommended this to other FNNers and they loved it. Check it out.
By the way....nice report too!
TTFM

fishnbug11
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
wow never thought i would see a post for Dinky Creek, got introduced to that place some 40 years ago and went until i was about 18, continued though the early 90's and i really miss that place, so beautiful and peaceful with great fishing during the summer months. Honeymoon pool was always a great place as well as the slick! haha wow I'm dating myself. also fished at Wishon, Courtright, and Huntington, i miss it, might have to try to get up there this year sounds great! thanks for the post and memories!

Troutin Man
07-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for sharing your memories! Awesome to hear! My son had a blast catchin' trout at Dinkey. He was real excited. I have to say, it was beautiful up there. The drive going up with the meadows and trees was very scenic and beautiful. Gettin' up there is awesome! And the slicks were full of trout as well as Honeymoon Pool. Browns and brooks too! We just had some trout for dinner tonight! Family loved it.

Troutin Man
07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Trout Tuna,
Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try your advice. That is something I am going to do along with hiking and fishing the Gold Trout Wilderness. I appreciate the info. Hope to take my son on the trip you recommended!