PDA

View Full Version : wide open bishop fishing 6/30 and 7/1

mr. trout
07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
my dad asked me last minute last week if I would be up for a quick turnaround trip to bishop. Having no other obligations this weekend, i jumped on the offer. As easy as that we were off. we left around 9 on saturday morning. we stopped at a little hole along lone pine creek to get some air, stretch the legs, and get a line wet. we fished a little and i got a real nice sized bow on a pink jig in a pretty deep hole i found. we were back on the road and in bishop by 2:30

SAT- With no real plans for the trip, except for sabrina on sunday, we had the afternoon to fish wherever. my dad suggested that we get an afternoon boat at south lake, and try to finally get some fish at south. we got a boat, and a bunch of sierra slammers (the jigs that they make up there). we hit the rock slide area and from the first cast onward, it was absolutely wide open. We sat and caught fish after fish for hours, moving only once to relocate when the sun moved behind the mountains. Unfortunately, all fish caught were stockers. However, both at south and sabrina, the stockers this weekend seemed to be a lot bigger and stronger than usual. we caught all of the fish on the sierra slammers. Bright colors were on fire.

SUN- We got up to sabrina at 7:30 and beached our boat at the back inlet, and went to work. As soon as we got there, we could see schools and schools of fish congregating around the outside of the inlet. unfortunately, we couldn't get our usual spot, considering we were a little later later than usual, and it was occupied. we fished the outside of the inlet and again killed on jigs of all colors. we literally could have caught fish all day on almost every cast. wide open! if anyone has young kids, and wants to put them on some fish, I highly recommend the back of sabrina. Everyone I saw on the lake was having good success, most on PB or worms. I hooked into a big guy, fought him for about 3 minutes before my line got caught around a dumbass' who decided to cast over as I was fighting him, and it snapped. I was a little POed but the wide open stocker bit made up for it. We were off the lake by 12:45 and eating some grub at Jacks in bishop by 1:15...coudn't have asked for a better weekend. peace

-Mr. Trout

FSHNLIC
07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a great turnaround trip..... way to get ur slay on!!! And that was a nice fish outta lone pine creek... tight lines and full tails!!!