PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 7.1.12 first trip, and a few observations

JAG107
07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I finally made up my mind to try out the striper action at Silverwood to see how it compares to the other local stripey holes. Got launched a bit after 7 after a 15 min. holdup at the gate, and since I had no clue about this place, just winged a right out of the ramp area and set out the DR and LC rods. Right as I made it past the buoy line, the LC rod goes off. No way, I'm on already? It swam right in, no fight at all, almost like it wanted to die. Made a couple more passes by, got one bump and that was it. Decided to explore, trolled random coves and in front of the dam and inlet/outlet areas, for nothing but tons of metered fish. Got a little frustrated by 10, and tried to anchor up for some b&w. Well by then the wind was getting bad and I couldn't hold a spot for the life of me, drifting was out of the question as it would have basically been trolling, so I just cruised around getting to know the place.

Some observations:
The signs at the dam say "no boats within 500 feet of the dam", however the print is so small you can't really read it past 100 ft.
I forgot for some reason everything I've read about this place in all the fishing books about the jet skis and waterskiers during the hot months being a pain. WOW I have never experienced such poor boating practices! Jet skiiers blasting by 12' rental tin cans anchored up within 5-10', water ski pullers leaving their skiier in the water in bad chop without raising a flag, I even saw a jet ski go by with two TEN YEAR OLDS (not a day older) on it at full throttle. Where was the lake patrol? Not even launched yet! If they could get the DVL staff out on this lake, they'd probably write enough tickets in a weekend to balance the state deficit with all the violations going on out there.
Saw a 5 year old girl with her hands and feet bandaged up on the dock, overheard the father discussing with the park ranger about the waiver he needed to sign stating that he was declining an ambulance for her. Don;t know what happened, but the aftermath looked bad enough.
Saw jet skis blasting through "no wake" zones way back in coves and the people on shore camped out were screaming "SLOW DOWN!" to no avail.
This must be where all the people I see towing their skis in the fastrack lane are going.
Despite all this, I didn't get sawed off once! Somehow, amidst all the lunacy, people stayed clear of my lines all day, and I was very happy about that.
When I left at 2:00, there was a line almost a half mile long of more boats waiting to get in.
I guess I'll wait for the fall season to return, hopefully there will be some sanity on the water, along with a better bite. I'm guessing the bite sucked amonst all the tons of metered fish because of all the heavy boating activity? I didn't happpen to see anybody else hook up all day, albeit not too many anglers out ratio wise to the other lake patrons.
Does anybody have any summer bite tips?

ghost2uu
07-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Best summer bite tip: Don't go on the weekend.

steve092
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I agree with ghost2uu, stay away on weekends.

As much as I love fishing Silverwood, I hate trying to put up with all the boaters and jet-skiers during the summer.

pupfish
07-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Too many people with not enough places or space for recreation. Perris is the same deal, the weekends do suck but for some of us it's the only time we can get out.

seal
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Go before lake opens hike in, go in the evening after boaters off the lake, the only chance you got in the summer but generally I stay away on the weekends also.

Don't think the solution is get DVL staff the solution is get more Rangers. They were supposed to receive I believe 3 or more new Rangers this summer but I haven't seen any new faces yet. The guys they do have are very busy and believe me they would love more help and they would love to be busting those idiots! I've been going there long enough to see the difference between fully staffed and when they have as many Rangers as they do now, big difference!

mxwrench
07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Yep. This is why I all but park my boat for the summer months. I still go out on occasional off fridays (like week before last) but I wont go anywhere near that place during a holiday weekend. Not sure why jet skiers loose their minds when they climb on those things.

But even still, We are catching some good summer bass, but numbers are down a bit till late August.

I guess it is a great time for some boat maintenance.

BK

Cartman
07-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the report. We had been considering putting an inflatable kayak in at Silverwood. Wouldn't risk it after your warning. Thanks.

vortec_cruiser
07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the report. We had been considering putting an inflatable kayak in at Silverwood. Wouldn't risk it after your warning. Thanks.

Jon, you'll be okay. Just be sure you're wearing your FLOATIES. :LOL:
Seriously, if you think it might not be safe, it's better not to try it.

Skyler
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM

I have launched my inflatable kayak there before. The lake lice are annoying, but the real danger in that type of craft is the wind. I headed into Miller one afternoon a few years back, then a stiff headwind kicked up. I have a speedometer in my kayak for trolling. Fighting the wind in, I was literally doing 0.25-0.5 MPH. It must have taken me two hours to get back to the launch ramp, paddling the whole time, lol.

Cartman
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I have launched my inflatable kayak there before. The lake lice are annoying, but the real danger in that type of craft is the wind. I headed into Miller one afternoon a few years back, then a stiff headwind kicked up. I have a speedometer in my kayak for trolling. Fighting the wind in, I was literally doing 0.25-0.5 MPH. It must have taken me two hours to get back to the launch ramp, paddling the whole time, lol.

I know, and if that wind gets you sideways it really plays games with you.