PDA

View Full Version : Handicap Accessible Fishing near San Gabriel Valley

bscruz
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
My folks live in El Monte, I'm in Alta Loma...I have been trying to find a good place to take my dad fishing near the San Gabriel valley area that is easily accessible for him. I found places near me to go, but logistically, it's a little difficult.

I need to be able to park close to the water as he can't walk very far and the surface has to be flat. Otherwise, I can park a little further away and take his wheelchair on a paved surface.

He really likes Catfish...rather, he and my mom love to eat catfish. We grew up going deep sea out of San Pedro and Salton Sea before it got all nasty. I like things that fight so I also like fishing for the cats. I lived in Oklahoma for a little while so if there are some bass, that'd be fun too.

Any suggestions for a good fishing spot near the area or within 1-2 hours of El Monte? Logistically, it'd be nice if it was a spot WEST of the 605 so I can leave early AM, pick him up and take him back home on my way back. Also, it'd be nice if there was some nice scenery to enjoy.

I can't take him out on a small boat as it's not stable enough for him - so I'm looking for a spot with good shore fishing - I usually cast for him and then hand him the rod so he can jig it and reel'em in. I plan to occasionally take him out on a Pontoon, but that won't be every weekend as I'd go broke :)

ScottyP
07-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Santa Fe Dam, Legg Lake, and Puddingstone all have handicap accessible fishing docks.