PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bishop till' June Loop?

fishermanx14
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey guys i would first like to thank any one who respond to this thread , your help is much appreciated. I will be leaving Monday July 16 and heading up to the sierras. My uncle will be coming down as we are on our way up and will reserve a campsite for us so that we have a little time to fish before we get to our camp site.

We were planning to fish the lower Owens out of bishop or Pleasant Valley Reservoir.Where do you guys think is best? After a day of fishing we should be on our way to the campsite in the June loop. Where do you think the best lake to fish would be ,and where on the lake? We might rent a boat for one day and which lake would you recommend we do it in?

I would like all of you to know that we have tons of spinning gear and i also know how to fly fish and know how to tie my own flies and any certian flies, rigs, and specific baits would be appreciated.

P.S. I want to know if a fly on a bobber would work on spinning gear. I also want to know what it would take to catch a Sacramento Perch :Big Grin: (just for fun)

Thanks,
Christian

shinbob
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
For me, if I were camping up at June, then I'd fish up around there as well. A lot cooler this time of year than down at Bishop.

Just got back from a week up in the June lakes area. All the lakes are pretty much stuffed with fish. Had no problems getting limits at Rock Creek Lake and Virginia Lakes. Gull and June were a little slower, but still fine. Gull in particular gets fished out pretty quickly after a plant, but fishes great until then. Heard from others about easy limits at Tioga, and skunks at Silver, but I think this is as much a function as to when you fish as opposed to which lake in particular.

All the usual baits and lures worked for us. My kids were doing great on garlic Powerbait, my wife on nightcrawlers, and I did fine on super dupers and wooly buggers. Saw plenty of risers at Rock Creek Lake that should take a dry on a bobber, but in my past experience, those guys are usually the little wild brookies and browns as opposed to the rainbows.

All you need for perch are 1.5" crappie jigs, in any light color.

fishermanx14
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
For me, if I were camping up at June, then I'd fish up around there as well. A lot cooler this time of year than down at Bishop.

Just got back from a week up in the June lakes area. All the lakes are pretty much stuffed with fish. Had no problems getting limits at Rock Creek Lake and Virginia Lakes. Gull and June were a little slower, but still fine. Gull in particular gets fished out pretty quickly after a plant, but fishes great until then. Heard from others about easy limits at Tioga, and skunks at Silver, but I think this is as much a function as to when you fish as opposed to which lake in particular.

All the usual baits and lures worked for us. My kids were doing great on garlic Powerbait, my wife on nightcrawlers, and I did fine on super dupers and wooly buggers. Saw plenty of risers at Rock Creek Lake that should take a dry on a bobber, but in my past experience, those guys are usually the little wild brookies and browns as opposed to the rainbows.

All you need for perch are 1.5" crappie jigs, in any light color.
how big of a leader should i use

shinbob
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
For the fly/bubble?

For dries I try not to make it too long. 2 feet, maybe. A lot longer and I have problems with tangling. Plus, the fly always seems to land near the bubble anyway. Use a clear bubble, they don't seem to be spooked by them too much. Early mornings and late evenings work best for the dries. I always have luck with an EHC, but I'm sure adams, gnats, etc... will work fine also.

For buggers/streamers, use a longer leader. Fill a smaller clear bubble all they way so that it sinks slowly, then when you get it in the right zone (countdown), start your retrieve.

fishermanx14
07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
what about for bait and wait

shinbob
07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
what about for bait and wait

Try to match the conditions. Long enough to get it over the weed level, but not so long that it's close to the surface in shallow waters. For my kids' powerbait rods, I used about 18 inches or so. The exact length doesn't seem to be too critical, the trout will find the bait.

fishermanx14
07-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the info! Look for my report

TroutFishin
07-21-2012, 03:53 PM
How was the fishing? I'll up in upper Bishop area next week. Do you have any recommedations for camping and fishing? I prefer flyfishing on the rivers or creeks. Thank you in advance.