PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Help!!

fishgeek
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey guys!! I am making my trip up to mammoth area this year. This will be my decond year in a row and I am looking to master some techniques.

So I had a few questions for you guys and I am sure you can help out. The Sierra guys seem A LOT nice and open then any one else!!

A little background. I have a kayak so getting around is no problem on lakes. Fishfinder is also something I own.

Last year I spent 95%of my time up at lake George and had a blast. But this year I am looking to explore and try new places.

Questions:

1. I was curious to see how the float tube guys fish jigs and trout worms. When ever I see someone fishing it from a tube it looks as if the are almost trolling with it. I fish a jig under a clear bobber and wanted to know how you guys fish them. I would always find a nice area to cast and slowly work my jig back.. Procces would repeat several times. I have no idea how to fish trout worms unless it is under a clear bobber with a lead head. Your advice would help!!

2.How do you rig and fish your jigs and worms??

3. HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU FISH A FLY AND BUBBLE!!! haha what flys are best!!

3. Other lake I have heard that produce quality fish are south lake and gull lake and would like to hit them up. What are some good places to fish there from the yak. For south lake the dam and rocky shoreline on the other side of the lake seem to be productive but do you have to be staying at parchers to fish there? For gull the tulle reeds and the big rock area are okay?? where could I launch to be close to those spots.

Any places you think I should try. I like the smaller and more secluded lake. Better for the kayak!!

Thanks guys and any help would be great!!

--Will

shinbob
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I take my kayak every year to Gull lake. That place is perfect for kayaking. It's small, and doesn't get a lot of waves when the wind picks up. Right after they stock it, the best place is by the launch ramp and along the surrounding shoreline. The reed area is great first thing in the morning, but this time of year, the trout go deeper after the sun hits the water. The big rock area is good too, and is also sheltered from the winds that usually come down canyon. The big advantage kayakers have at that lake is mobility, you can pull anchor and move a little bit without having to fire up your engine and scaring all the fish away. I've also had luck in just drifting with the wind, with a trout worm and a small split shot.

You can just launch at the launch ramp and paddle across the lake in 10 minutes. There's also a place on the other side (near the big rock) for car-top boats, that you can park at, and there's a little dock there as well. But the lake is so small that for kayakers it doesn't make much of a difference.

If they're not biting there, you can go across to June and fish the marina/reed area there as well. That little corner is similarly sheltered from the wind. But they'll charge you a launch fee.

fishgeek
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I take my kayak every year to Gull lake. That place is perfect for kayaking. It's small, and doesn't get a lot of waves when the wind picks up. Right after they stock it, the best place is by the launch ramp and along the surrounding shoreline. The reed area is great first thing in the morning, but this time of year, the trout go deeper after the sun hits the water. The big rock area is good too, and is also sheltered from the winds that usually come down canyon. The big advantage kayakers have at that lake is mobility, you can pull anchor and move a little bit without having to fire up your engine and scaring all the fish away. I've also had luck in just drifting with the wind, with a trout worm and a small split shot.

You can just launch at the launch ramp and paddle across the lake in 10 minutes. There's also a place on the other side (near the big rock) for car-top boats, that you can park at, and there's a little dock there as well. But the lake is so small that for kayakers it doesn't make much of a difference.

If they're not biting there, you can go across to June and fish the marina/reed area there as well. That little corner is similarly sheltered from the wind. But they'll charge you a launch fee.

Thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate it!!!