PDA

View Full Version : Kern River questions?

JoshR88
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
What's up guys? I'm going to the Kern River July 5-8 for a friends birthday and would like to get him on a fish or two, because hes never caught a fish before. I believe he said he rented a spot at Fairview. My questions are is that weekend an ok weekend to fish? I was thinking it might be to packed but idk haven't been to the kern sense I was 12. I was also wondering if the Fairview campgrounds are good to fish or anywhere around it? Would also like to no any bait suggestions? When I went last time I remember crickets and rooster tails was the hot ticket. Thanks for any info you can give me.

JoshR88
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Take it no ones been down there to recently. I'll throw everything in my tackle box at them and let you guys no what's the hot ticket. Hopefully lake and river fishin are some what similar haha.

ibom
07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
i was at upper kern all weekend ...... ive had luck with the earthworms they sell there,I think they are called daily crawlers... I went with light set up 2lb izor line, smaller swivels and size 6 pretied hooks with splitshot(diffrent sizes depnding on the flow of current and worm weight) attached above the swivel.. also caught some stubborn fish i could see in calmer water with woolly buggers(a type of fly but i use it on a spining combo.) also get a worm threader i switched to that meathod and increased my catch rate.

Fish the kern by tossing the worms or watever upstream so it comes back to you. look for white waters, toss into those spots and keep the line tense as it comes back to you.. just keep repeating a few time... nothing bites move on to a new spot..

I did this on saturday morn and caught my limit within about 3 hours but i fished about a half mile area. i ended the weekend with about 13 fish and my personal best of a 14inch trout. also the sucker fish are illegal to keep so if you catch em release them on the spot, you will get into trouble if you are caught with it.

also this is a worm threader but they sell cheaper ones in a bunch of spots at kern but this is how your thread them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og9isKzhDBs

farmacist
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
fish early before everyone wakes up. size 14 single salmon egg hook w/ one egg on it and a splitshot 14-18" above that on 2-4lb test. adjust the splitshot size according to the flow of where you're fishing. you want it to barely tick along the bottom and flow naturally in the current. good luck and yes... it will be packed!

JoshR88
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys! The info is much appreciated. I need to down grade line a little, I got a spool of 3 pd Pline I can finally put to use. Thanks again, I'll let you guys no how I do. Hopefully I can get my friend at least one.

archer
07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Sat the 7th. Is fish free day so hook up any friends that don`t fish
and get them on the water

JoshR88
07-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh that's cool! There's a bunch of us going, I'm sure a few of them will want to fish. We're driving out now, I'll let you guys no if I hook into anything. Thanks again for the info!