PDA

View Full Version : What a day.

fishinguy68
06-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Met up with my buddy Nick (aka Bulletoothulk) and mike for an early surf session. Started the day at greylight, throwing the LC in ghost, anchovie, barred surf perch, and calico, as well as big hammers in various colors. First one to go off is Nick. Pole bends and in comes a short Hali. Not long after that, Mike gets his first of the day. A good sized circle ray on the sand. His first time surf fishing and he is hooked. Lovin it. Next cast from Nick and he is bringing in a circle ray that was a little bit bigger then Mike's. I am starting to get concerned that I don't got the right stuff. :???: They are both throwing the big hammers while I am staying true to the LC in barred surf perch and anchovie. Few minutes later, Nick pulls another short hali from the trenches right in front of him. Then everything goes dead. We throw there for a little longer and then decide to make a short move. Just a few minutes later, we are back in the sand and casting. I cast the LC barred surf perch for a few casts while Nick and Mike continue on the big hammer. After a few minutes, I decide to change up to the LC ghost and that was a good move. First cast out and bam. I feel the fish slam the LC and off it goes. It runs for a few seconds and then I am finally able to turn it. Finally fish on and I am stoked. After a few minutes of fighting, I bring in a decent size SGF. Wow, Skunk off. :Big Grin: Cast out again and start my retrieve. Crank in about 2 to 3 turns and I get slammed again. Man this is the right stuff I think as the fish runs again. This one has more weight to it and I am in for a good fight. Finally after a few minutes, I get the fish to turn and finally get it to the shore. Another nice SGF. Hey not what I am here for but they fight like a freight train. Take a pic of the fish and release it back into the water. Cast out again and start my retrieve. Again, 2 to 3 casts into the retrieve and Wham. This fish hits and runs. It is peeling line and I can't get it to turn. I am trying everything to bring it back but it just keeps on going. I look down at my reel and I can see the gold coming up quick through the line on my reel. This fish is going to spool me. I thumb down on my reel and pull back on the fish with all my might. I feel the rod load up and then snap. Off goes my LC with the mystery beast. I am assuming it was another SGF. I guess I will never know. I back on my LC barred surf perch and start my way down the beach. Casting and retrieving with nothing. A few minutes later and Mike whistles down to me. I look back and he is major bendo. I run back to him and he is in the middle of a big fight with a 5 foot SGF with 4 pound test. He finally gets the fish up to the shore and I go to grab it and it jerks out of my hand and then goes on a run and snaps the line. Sucks but it was definately a nice fish. We continue to fish down the beach. Mike switches out to a green crocodile and on his first cast, he brings in his second circle ray of the day. We continue to cast on. I look at the time and realize that I am getting close to my fishing curfew (married lol) so I holler down to Nick and tell him it is time to rap it up. He reels in and starts walking towards me. As he is walking, I decide there is time for one more cast and that is when it happened. I throw out and start my retrieve. I am into my retrieve about 15 turns and I feel my rod load up. I set the hook and the fight is on. I feel the fish running out but didn't go as far as any of the SGF that I caught. I could feel the fish fighting me but it didn't feel as strong as the SGF. I continue the fight as Nick walks up. I tell him that I think I have a small SGF but I don't want to lose another LC. I continue the fight the fish in and finally get it on the sand. As it comes out of the water, I see the tail bending verticle. I take a triple take and realize that I have a pretty big Butt on the line. :EyePop: Luckily Nick was right next to the fish because as soon as it comes up on the sand, it spits the hook. Nick gets the fish up onto the sand and I tape it out. 24 inches..... WOW.... My first ever legal Hali from the sand. I can't believe it. I have been trying to catch this fish for the last year. Finally I have got one. I know that Wingnut and the Swat guys always let their pb's go back but after a year of struggling to catch this fish, I'm gonna eat. LOL Maybe the next one can go back. I want to thank Nick for fishing the last year with me and doing all the recon and putting me on this fish. You will be on you legal before you know it. It's funny but before I caught this one, there was a fire in my belly to catch it. Now that I caught it, that fire burns even more to get another one. Until next time...

reelgurlzfish
06-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Nice job! Where was this?

Wingnut
06-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Congrats on the nice Hali... no worries about the release, next time. :Wink:
Enjoy, make some Halikabobs. :Big Grin:
Haven't been out in the surf for awhile, conditions looks great. :Envious:

Re8elmonk0341
06-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Nice! WTG on the 1st legal surf Hali...now go and get MOAR!!!! :Big Grin:

DockRat
07-01-2012, 05:37 AM
WTG on the Legal.
Try pushing the enter button every 3 - 4 lines.
That postage stamp style is hard to read. :Potty:
DR

murrieta angler
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Congrats with your first legal flatty.
Sounded like a nice day of catching various species.
Looking forward to your next legal halibut report.
Robert
<><

bachiboy
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Great report! Congrats on getting that legal on the last fling. Always an awesome way to end a session. Keep it goin...

Don

SP Dan
07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi ya fishinguy68!

Congratulations....:Big Smile::Applause: on your first legal Halibut from the surf on the LC!

You have put in the hours and all of the expense.....so....enjoy your just reward! :Thumbs Up:
You'll be returning plenty of Hali's to Poseidon in the future I'm sure!

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP dan <"))><