PDA

View Full Version : How's last August fishing in the Sierras compared to October?

Ultralight
06-30-2012, 09:05 AM
In the past few year, I take my boys on a father/son trip up to the Sierras with a few other father/son combo from my church to hand out for a few days and fish. It has been a rich experience. Fishing has been very good during that time. We are mostly C&R.

I'm thinking of taking a trip up in August with the family for a special celebration in our journey as a family. How's fishing in late August compared to October? I assume it is is considerably warmer so does that change how we would fish? This will be my wife's first trip and it would mean a lot to have a trip that is special in every way.

Thanks in advance!

UL

Viejo
06-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Depends on where you are going. Fishing is good throughout the season. You'll catch plenty of fish in August with more temperate weather. Water levels in the Lower Owens can still be high in August but are normally just right for wading in October. Creeks will be low and lower depending which time you choose to go. Biggest thing will be air temps. You have a fair chance of snow in October (and in August up in the high country as well) and pretty cold temps at night (30's and below). August will be warm during the day and pleasant at night with fewer bugs then now. October...bugs are not a factor.

No matter when or where you take your family up, it will be a special trip that will be remembered by your kids for the rest of their lives.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-30-2012, 09:23 AM
UL,
With the warmer temperatures in August, I'd mostly fish and stay in the higher elevation areas, like the Mammoth Lakes area.
There are both campgrounds and rentals available but make reservations ASAP since it's the busy time of year up there.
Lake fishing-wise.....with the warmer conditions even in the higher elevations try fishing either the deeper areas or where there is still water coming from the inlets or outlets.....or try stream fishing. Trout like the cooler water and will hang deep during the day, but stream trout are always looking to eat since they are active and need to eat and the water is always cool enough for them or they wouldn't be there.
Have fun.
TTFM

gridjockey
06-30-2012, 02:36 PM
fishin sometimes gets tough after ten in the morning but usually gets better at sunset in august. but during those long afternoons a good swim or a good nap always sets ya straight for some good fishin at sunset.