PDA

View Full Version : One of the worst days fishing as a private boater in 7 years Dana Point

JL
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't understand all the changes in current or temperature or how dirty the water is that effect fishing. Thursday we decide to leave late and start on the water at 12 noon and stay till dark. Went out of Dana Point harbor. We had great success last week and we were looking for more of the same. We fished the Pipe south of the harbor, the reefs near salt creek. We were outside the kelp and in the kelp north of the harbor. Live bait ----- large (very large) sardines only and also frozen squid. In 7 years on the ocean fishing up and down the coast San Diego to Oxnard we never had as bad a day as yesterday. We did not get a touch of any sort. Not one time did any of the sticks even twitch from a bump. By 8 pm i was totally frustrated about what was going on with the bite. Water Temp ranged from 63 - 64.5 Very small chop. Small seas. Weather was perfect. Sun most of the day. Some marine layer at 6:30 pm. Tide was high at 5:22 pm. Change is tide was substantial enough that food should have been moving to attract fish. Also had our chum bucket out with fresh chum made the night before. At some of the spots we did not even see bait fish around the chum bucket. At some kelp locations we did attract some bait fish. We did not see any fish taken in the area by the later afternoon party boats. Did see large amount of very small (size of silver dollar) jelly fish near the surface at nearly all locations. Did not see but one or 2 seals and one lonely dolphin. 2 other private boaters i spoke with also came up empty for the day.

Oh yea it was an "average' Moon phase fishing day.

Don't know if any of you have any idea of why the fish had lock jaw but if you do please weigh in with your thoughts.

Tight lines and God Bless.

headcase881
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I thought i read a post about humbolt squid moving in maybe that has something to do with it

WHAMMY
06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
the water rolled over last week from the winds so that could be a huge factor to the fish not biting

DockRat
06-29-2012, 07:07 PM
the water rolled over last week from the winds so that could be a huge factor to the fish not biting

X2
Went to Pt Fermin monday, late start.
Tried several spots for 5 hours, drifting Dines.
Couple raked baits by Lizards. lol
DR