PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Bay - 26 June 2012 - 21.5' and 29'

SD-BUTTSLAYA
06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
An hour and a half of successful fishing will sooth a bad days of work any day.

Went out to the honey hole for a quick sesh before jiu jitsu class to take my mind off of a stressful day. I had both the LC 110 and a drop shot (3' green and white zoom bait) in the hopper ready. Got to the spot around 3:45 and thought to myself big bait for the big one or do throw the drop shot for quantity. I was never a believer of that theory so I went with the drop shot. I check my line for any fray, set my drag and set up the drop shot. First cast for nothing. Second cast, slow retrieve and I get a slight bump so I set the hook. She didn't feel too heavy initially until she went for her first run. I figure it's the right kind so I take my time. I get her close to the shore and she makes one more attempt to shake me off. I finally bring her in and she measured 21.5". Unhook, quick picture and a quick release. :Smile:

I text my fishing buddy up "Lethal" and my brother John since they both denied my invite to show them what they were missing.

My heart is still pumping with excitement so I take a moment to take a deep breath and gather my composure. I check my line again, re-tie my hook and salvage my zoom. Third cast (literally), I let the bait settle, same retrieve and I feel a small "tic, tic, tic", reel in the little bit of slack and set the hook. She immediately peels out line for what seemed to be eternity. I'm thinking to myself "no fn" way?!?!?! She finally settles so I start my initial retrieve. She didn't like that too much so she once again peeled off more line. For some reason I squat down while she takes off w a big grin on my face thinking "PB". I quickly stand back up and start my retrieve, slowly gaining. I finally see color and she's a BEAST!!! I get her within distance, but she didn't like that much so she shook her head vigorously and took off for another attempt. In my mind there was no doubt I got her so I let her do her thing. She's worn out so I slowly bring her to shore. Not my PB, but the 15 minutes of fishing made my day!!! :Big Grin: 29.5" I take a quick photo and release her for another day.

Fished for another few minutes for some shorties, but was a great day of slaying the BUTS. EPIC!!!

Here's one of Lethal's from a couple weeks ago. 23"

bassfishing24/7
06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice job slaying those butts!!

bloox8
06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I wish I was able to hit up the sand right after work :Crying:

Nice catches BTW! I started dropshotting again recently and man, I forgot how much easier it is to hook up halis. Too bad I still haven't landed a legal on it yet though. Wrong place wrong time I guess. Hopefully I'll get lucky soon!

Congrats! And go hook up some more fatties!

Good luck
Thien

Lucky Lager
06-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Nice!
That same Silver Max combo you have there has seen me through countless fish, severe abuse & a swim in the surf. That was my first baitcaster setup & have since upgraded several times, but I still grab that one from time to time & give her some action :)
Nice job on the Butts! Can't complain about a fat 29"er, congrats!
LL

HawgStalker
06-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Great report! Makes me want to run down to the bay and hit some of my old spots.....

Nice looking hali's bro!

frankjz
06-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Fantastic report. Great fish. Great sportsmanship!

Wingnut
06-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Welcome to FNN. :Cool:
Excellent report. :Big Grin:
That's one heck of a session and kudos on the release. :Thumbs Up:

rusn007
06-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Nicely done!!

SD-BUTTSLAYA
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks. I've been reading your reports from you and your SWAT brothers so I thought I'd give San Diego Bay/Harbor some love. Looking forward to all your reports!