PDA

View Full Version : 6/24/12 Carpentaria Surf Report

caliranger10
06-28-2012, 04:01 PM
arrived to the ocean around 530 and the tide was very low. Began throwing out the crack worms and caught a couple small surf perch within the first hour. As the tide started coming in around 9 am i switched to the hammer tail and bait caster and began looking for the trenches and potential feeding spots.

9:30 comes around and I'm tossing the lead out to the breakers and Wham!!! Felt good sized but would just run than sit. Thought its gotta be a shovel nose and sure enough cranked her in and it was. Caught another one a few casts later than things really started to heat up...

10:15 rolls around and i get hit again...this time it was viscous!!! Kept reeling and WHAM!!! pole bent and the fight was on. I knew it was a shark when it started taking me for a walk down the beach. Took 5 minutes to get in, using only 15 lb mono and didn't wanna risk her coming off, pulled her out and got to look at my first Leopard shark!!!

Ended up catching 4 more of them to bring the grand total to 5 leopards, 2 guitar fish, and 3 surf perch. called it a day around 2 pm. Went home with knarly sunburns and sore arms and back, but sooooo worth it!!! As a side note i had to fight the salad ALL day!!! It was manageable when the tide was out but high tide was horrible!

HawgStalker
06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Nice job and cool report! Those Leopards are beautiful fish!

Which Way Out
06-28-2012, 06:18 PM
The old 9:30 bite LOL Sorry its an inside joke. Some of my bud's will know what it means.

Anyway great day you had. The crabs must be thick in there and the baby perch are everywhere. Good time for Leo's that's for sure.
Keep reporting and thanks for sharing

WWO

caliranger10
06-28-2012, 07:02 PM
The old 9:30 bite LOL Sorry its an inside joke. Some of my bud's will know what it means.

Anyway great day you had. The crabs must be thick in there and the baby perch are everywhere. Good time for Leo's that's for sure.
Keep reporting and thanks for sharing

WWO

ya i went out today and they just didn show up today lol but thanks for the reply, most fun I've had in a long time! throwin those hammers can get very boring at times

Lucky Lager
06-30-2012, 07:01 AM
ya i went out today and they just didn show up today lol but thanks for the reply, most fun I've had in a long time! throwin those hammers can get very boring at times

Nice day full of catching! WTG
I got a barely legal Leo on a hammer there about a month ago...no salad that day.
Thanks for the report
LL