PDA

View Full Version : Brite Lake Tehachapi

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
The past two weeks I've made 2 trips to Brite Lake in Tehachapi and have done quite well catching some nice Alpers Rainbows up to 1.75 lbs.
With the water and daytime temps are getting warmer, best to fish either very early morning or late afternoon before dark.
I was mainly going fishing there to teach a wannabe trout fisherman, showing him the basics for bait fishing. I lent him one of my ultralight outfits with 4 lb test line and rigged it carolina rig with a slide sinker, barrel swivel, and 2 lb test leader with a size 16 treble hook. Using chartreuse glitter PB, his line got bit right away, but he missed it and reeled it in for new bait. I was using Salmon Peach PB and got bit right away too and ended up netting a nice 14 inch Alpers.
I ended up catching my limit in less than 2 hours and my buddy ended up with 2. Not bad for a newbie. We ended up leaving the lake by 9:00 with plenty of orange flesh Alpers rainbows for dinner.
If anyone wants some "not so far away" trout action, head up to Tehachapi. Not many people going there now since the opening of the Sierra season, so you'll see maybe 4 or 5 others fishing the lake.

TTFM

EfrenM
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
hey nice report is only trout un there ???

ltj427
06-28-2012, 08:46 AM
You had better luck than I did. I took my kids there last thursday and only got 1 little bullhead but we also didn't even try for trout.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Pepesca
There's already been catfish plants, which most people are going for.
But the hard fighting and good eating Alpers rainbows that are still there are worth the trip.
Best of luck.
TTFM

ZipperWurm
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
are there any LMB in that lake??

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Zipp
I've seen a few LMB caught at the lake by others bait fishing with nightcrawlers, that's about it since I'm there for the trout.
You'd also might like to know that the only boats allowed on the lake are either man or electric powered, with NO gas motors of any kind attached to the boat, FYI.
TTFM