PDA

View Full Version : Live bait & pier fishing at night

SHOOTER2496
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
whats up guys.. my dad, brothers and i are going night fishing at a local pier (santa monica, malibu, venice, redondo - undecided yet) I was wondering if anybody has any tips on rigging live bait, we're picking up some bait at the bait reciever in marina del rey. Also was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go. We are most likely going to target halibut and sharks.
Any info would help.
Thanks, Tight lines:Fishing Hole:

Anglerboi
06-28-2012, 10:02 AM
if you are getting live bait from the marina del rey recievers.......I would stick around that area with the bait...I don't know how your going to keep your bait alive...but I recommend that you do not overfill your livewell....it is tempting to fill it up but you will catch more fish with healthier baits...too many baits in a bucket will kill them all within 5 minutes from suffocation..... Try the marina del rey jetty. Rigging I would keep it simple with a carolina rig or a slider with just the hook. If your unsure how to tie the rig just google the rig or youtube it! Good luck....I also know there is like a public dock area that you can fish around that marina del rey area just gotta ask around though.

DockRat
06-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Buy your bait then dump 90% in the harbor or bag it.
I've see several guys at Redondo with bait from MDR.
Saw a couple guys with a ice chest with a air bubbler. 2" of dead chovies in the bottom.
Any more than a dozen any they will die (waste of time).
DR

koifish
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Buy your bait then dump 90% in the harbor or bag it.
I've see several guys at Redondo with bait from MDR.
Saw a couple guys with a ice chest with a air bubbler. 2" of dead chovies in the bottom.
Any more than a dozen any they will die (waste of time).
DR

good tips. Thanks

BALLERONBUDGET
06-29-2012, 08:57 AM
if u wanna just shoot the breeze with little or slow fishing = pier fishing over the last yr or so.... if u wanna better chance and catch good eats, hop on local twilights $25-$42. sand bass sculpin etc...costs little more but way more enjoyable and all the bait ull need. summer time is just about as good as it gets for twilights...

SHOOTER2496
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys, really apreciate it:Big Grin: