PDA

View Full Version : Catfish limits

Fysher
06-26-2012, 07:01 AM
My question is this. One this page http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_10-5_15.html it says that all bodies of southern district not listed below in their list the catfish limit is 10. So my question is, since orange county isn't on the list, will that make the catfish limit 10?

thanks.

seal
06-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Yes the way that section reads 10 is the limit unless otherwise noted.

But private waters are not part of DFG regulations so if you are at say Irvine Lake they make their own regulations up.

RTG
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
But private waters are not part of DFG regulations so if you are at say Irvine Lake they make their own regulations up.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true, Seal. Unless the lake is completely surrounded by private property, AND is not part of any incoming water system (stream, creek, river, etc), the state fishing regulations apply. For example, a golf course lake on private property with no incoming state waters is exempt from state fishing regs. But a private lake (Arrowhead, Canyon, Vail) all have incoming state waters, so the regs are applied there.
Some lakes, like Irvine and Corona, operate under a state "aquaculture permit", which means they don't require a fishing license there. They also have a more restrictive "take" on fish species. That is allowed under the permit, which is granted by the DFG. The permit is required because the waters are still waters of the state, although the land is private property. Sounds confusing, but it's really not if you think about it. And remember, all wildlife, fish included, belong to the people of the state, not private landowners.

LuckyCraft420
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
So OC city park lakes have a 10 catfish limit...?

seal
06-26-2012, 02:13 PM
That's not entirely true, Seal. Unless the lake is completely surrounded by private property, AND is not part of any incoming water system (stream, creek, river, etc), the state fishing regulations apply. For example, a golf course lake on private property with no incoming state waters is exempt from state fishing regs. But a private lake (Arrowhead, Canyon, Vail) all have incoming state waters, so the regs are applied there.
Some lakes, like Irvine and Corona, operate under a state "aquaculture permit", which means they don't require a fishing license there. They also have a more restrictive "take" on fish species. That is allowed under the permit, which is granted by the DFG. The permit is required because the waters are still waters of the state, although the land is private property. Sounds confusing, but it's really not if you think about it. And remember, all wildlife, fish included, belong to the people of the state, not private landowners.

Yup I got ya I just didn't want to go too far with it and wanted to make sure that he and others understood that in the case of pay to fish lakes that the limit is sometimes different from that of the DFG regs.. But good point.

seal
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
So OC city park lakes have a 10 catfish limit...?

Which lake(s) are you talking about? But any lake that does not have a different limit posted will be 10 fish.

LuckyCraft420
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Which lake(s) are you talking about? But any lake that does not have a different limit posted will be 10 fish.

Laguna, Ralph Clark, mile square, etc. there isn't any OC lakes listed... I hope the news doesn't spread too far about this. I like to release my fish so I can go back and cat them again

etucker1959
06-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Laguna, Ralph Clark, mile square, etc. there isn't any OC lakes listed... I hope the news doesn't spread too far about this. I like to release my fish so I can go back and cat them again
I first heard about the 10 fish limit in OC from the ranger at Carbon Canyon Regional Park. It is not very well known by most people, so SSSSSSSS so the bucket fisherman don't take the fish out even faster then they already do.

LuckyCraft420
06-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I first heard about the 10 fish limit in OC from the ranger at Carbon Canyon Regional Park. It is not very well known by most people, so SSSSSSSS so the bucket fisherman don't take the fish out even faster then they already do.

Moderators should delete this thread :) I've been enjoying my catch and release ninja trips, I don't want them too die due to bucket fisherman

fish4keep
06-26-2012, 05:46 PM
:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

reelgurlzfish
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
I agree . We have enough issues with poachers. If everyone finds out the limit is 10 the lakes will empty in no time and is weekend fishers are screwed.

DockRat
06-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Moderators should delete this thread :) I've been enjoying my catch and release ninja trips, I don't want them too die due to bucket fisherman

Like this guy ?

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz98/coledowning/cole.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/AceDragona/Pics/Icons/8864c.jpg

seal
06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Ok this one takes the cake! You are worried about those that fish legally and take home the given limit that is determined by the DFG? But you think it's ok to "Ninja"?

I'm very confused? Now we are going to ask that a thread be deleted because it is talking about legal limits yet those that "Ninja" fish think those threads are ok. Weird but I'm just one confused Mo Fo at this point??????

plumber2001
06-26-2012, 08:12 PM
so get your limit and beat it.

LuckyCraft420
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Dockrat and seal. I don't eat catfish, I release them all. And unlike you old fuckers I have a life other than work and fishing. The only free time I have is at night. If you have a problem with it pm me. You can come visit me at the lake tonight. We'll see how much u talk when your not hiding behind your computers.

fish4keep
06-26-2012, 09:04 PM
:Popcorn:........................

novel44
06-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Dockrat and seal. I don't eat catfish, I release them all. And unlike you old fuckers I have a life other than work and fishing. The only free time I have is at night. If you have a problem with it pm me. You can come visit me at the lake tonight. We'll see how much u talk when your not hiding behind your computers.

Really? LoL. You have so much "life" besides work and fishing that you "invite" people from an online forum to meet you in person to see how much they "talk" when not hiding behind a computer? I dont know why peoples tempers flare so easily. (especially "fisherman")....ohh nooooo someone said something negative that i read on a screen let me get my gun and invite them for a visit....relax people and enjoy life not everything is worth a response or the aggravation. I'll leave you with this....

"If you let someone anger you, you have let them defeat you".....

DockRat
06-26-2012, 09:55 PM

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/MyAngie86/madbaby.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/btandy1/madbaby.jpg DR
You hurt my feelings.

etucker1959
06-26-2012, 10:40 PM
so get your limit and beat it.

Are you sure about all the signs in OC say's there is a 5 fish limit on catfish. I'm just asking, I know Laguna Lake in Fullerton the sign say's there is a 2 fish limit. The ranger at Carbon Canyon told me about the 10 fish limit. The following lakes are all in the same system, Carbon Canyon, Craig, Yorba Linda, Clark, Irvine regional and Miles Square. I can't believe they are all following different limits on Catfish. I also don't remember seeing any signs on limits at Greer or Carr. The only others lakes in OC are Tri-city, Centennial and Huntington that get catfish stockings, but I don't fish there enough to know what the signs say.

etucker1959
06-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I agree . We have enough issues with poachers. If everyone finds out the limit is 10 the lakes will empty in no time and is weekend fishers are screwed.

So true!!!

LuckyCraft420
06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm at the lake and still have a received a pm...

To novel: my feelings weren't "hurt." I've seen Dockrat several times try to tell someone there doing something wrong in a condasenting way. And now he wants to try and attack me over caring about the fish population? Sorry but I'm not a coward like several others, instead I would rather see someone face to face to settle our difference. Thanks for your input though.

Oh, and there is a good bite going on tonight

Fysher
06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Wtf did start? I asked a simple question and now a bunch of us anglers are pissed off at each other . Mod can you please delete, it's getting out of hand. Thanks

plumber2001
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
So true!!!

ive read many of your posts.very informative.i will be at laguna wensday for a family walk and take pic of sign.whether its 2 or 5 lets just say theres alot of local city park lake abuse.i live between craig and tri city .i useally fish pay lakes like s.a corona and my favorite irvine.why,becouse i like to catch and eat fish.all for a price like everything ..if you can afford $43 for 1 pole liscense then take your limit everyday..if people cant afford it then go fish off a pier.dont **** in my backyard.

DockRat
06-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Wtf did start? I asked a simple question and now a bunch of us anglers are pissed off at each other . Mod can you please delete, it's getting out of hand. Thanks

Hey, I'm not pissed. Don't stress it. it's not out of hand either, chill.
Put up a pic of a kid with alot of catfish, then he got upset.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s455/Susie__Q_/Tantrum/tantrum.gif
That pic could be in Alabama for all I know. Lol.
DR :Rolls Eyes:

seal
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm at the lake and still have a received a pm...

To novel: my feelings weren't "hurt." I've seen Dockrat several times try to tell someone there doing something wrong in a condasenting way. And now he wants to try and attack me over caring about the fish population? Sorry but I'm not a coward like several others, instead I would rather see someone face to face to settle our difference. Thanks for your input though.

Oh, and there is a good bite going on tonight

I wouldn't spend a minute thinking about you or this thread. I simply thought this humorous that one illegal activity is supported and one legal activity is bad. You need some grow'n up young man getting in fights at night at a park over fishing is not a very intelligent idea.

I really don't think Dockrat or I could give a rats backside about your little challenge, I don't live in your area and even if I did I AM a grown man and I am not dumb enough to risk the potential outcome of coming to a park in the middle of the night to meet up with some hothead kid over a silly over reaction to what has now become a silly thread.

Read the regs. read the rules posted at the lakes and obey them or not my intent was to try and answer a question not get into it with the Ninja's which by the way I have been positive with many times in the past.

420 is supposed to mellow you....

LuckyCraft420
06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I still see you 2 calling me a child, yet both of you are scared of a child and wont say anything without the computer screen in front of you. Maybe it's mindset of the younger generation, but when I see 2 people *itch out, I feel like I won.

420 does mellow you out, but I don't smoke daily.

And if I was a real child I would be out in LB killing as many halibut as possible, and leaving the carcasses on the beach. Why? just because I know it's dockrats back yard.

reelgurlzfish
06-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Can't we all just get along? this Sh*t is being taken way too seriously.... peace love and fishing ! :-D

Viejo
06-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I still see you 2 calling me a child, yet both of you are scared of a child and wont say anything without the computer screen in front of you. Maybe it's mindset of the younger generation, but when I see 2 people *itch out, I feel like I won.

420 does mellow you out, but I don't smoke daily.

And if I was a real child I would be out in LB killing as many halibut as possible, and leaving the carcasses on the beach. Why? just because I know it's dockrats back yard.

From OCfishing420 profile: "OCFishing420 has not made any friends yet "

There might just be a reason for that........:Wink: