PDA

View Full Version : Bassin in Pittsburg, Ca

FishinElectrician
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Well, the wife and I decided to visit the Bay Area to attend a couple of family functions out in the Concord/Pittsburg/Pleasant Hill areas. We also decided to play tourist, and get some sight seeing done in san fran, I even attended the Dodgers/A's game in Oakland on the 21st... (WISH I HADNT!!! LOL)

Anyway, I got some free time yesterday in the morning, so I ran down to the waterfront/marina in Pittsburg, and and started casting for a couple of hours for basically nothing... This area is highly affected by tidal movement, and it seemed I was fishing on an outgoing tide, with a breeze gusting to about 20 to the east. I want to do some reasearch into what patterns work when certain tidal conditions are present, because understanding tides is they key to knowing when, and where the fish feed. Different techniques work at different locations, at the exact same time on the Delta, so its almost imperative that tides are accounted for. As far as my techniques, I was limited to pounding the bank, so I chose to cast parallel to the rip rap, and along retaining walls with a crank, and work a soft stickbait in and along the mats of vegetation. I only got bit twice. This specific area used to produce lots of 2-3 pound Bass in the past, but my uncle told me its suffered greatly due to overfishing by the nightcrawler/bucket brigades, and poachers. Quite a shame, too, because it looks like this marina holds some nice Bass in there.

Anyway, I only took 2 rods with me on this trip and they were a Field and Stream Tec Spec 7' Crankbait Rod, paired with a Shimano Ceanan, spooled with 10lb test P Line CXX, throwing a Norman Thin N in suicide coloration... My second rod is an Abu Garcia Vendetta 7' Medium casting rod, paired with a Shimano Caenan spooled with 8lb test P Line CXX, tossing a 5" Yum Dinger on an 1/8oz brown Owner shaky head.