PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 day Shogun trip leaving Wednesday! First timer! Tips??

castone001
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
First time heading out on Shogun and hell a 1.5 day boat for that matter. Heading out Wednesday the 27th with my brother.
Anyone go out on Shogun recently? Any tips on what to to bring and not bring? How is the boat?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Cast
Sorry, but I didn't see this post until after the departure of your trip.
The Shogun is top notch everything, including the owner/operator, second skipper, crew and chef.
Hope you trip went well, will now look for your report.
TTFM

Marley
06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah, me too. Sorry I didn't see this earlier as well. I hope your trip was good. Is there a report coming?
Thanks!

castone001
07-01-2012, 07:25 AM
WOW!! What a great trip overall! Departed Wednesday right on time around 4:00. 25 passengers 8 crew. The boat is indeed a NICE comfortable boat and the galley area is huge and plenty roomy for us all. The meals were fantastic. Sleeping the first night was a real challenge as it was pretty damn rolly all night so basically off and on sleep till breakfast call at 5:30am. Started fishing around 6:00am with four poles out on the troll. Got the first Yellowtail hookup around 7:00 - 7:30? nothing else. Trolled around most of the morning until the captain found the Bluefins! I got my first Bluefin at about 25lbs and it was awesome fight! 15 mins and kicked my arse!! I think we ended up with about 20 at that stop then it died again! But I got my first Bluefin! Rest of the day was paddy hopping and trolling with one or two yellows here and there. Got into one more school of bluefin around 4:00pm and that was it. One last school of Yellow's around 5:30 where I was lucky and picked up my first Yellow at about 10lbs. Boat wrapped up fishing and started the long trek back. We were around 170 miles south. Crew started cleaning fish, dinner was made folks slowly started to hit the bunk. Woke up to calm seas around the bullring for the rest of the ride home. Can't say enough about the crew, they worked hard and made everyone's trip that much better!!! Will definitely go back out on the Shogun

Had a big party at the house yesterday with most of my haul being smoked and it was fantastic!

Here are some pics!

https://picasaweb.google.com/104955116398518717688/Jul12012?authkey=Gv1sRgCLr_qLyb_Nm7aw

DockRat
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Scored on the Tuna and YT :Dancing Banana:
Great job and pics.
DR