PDA

View Full Version : Carp Fishing: crazy day

flyhigh123
06-24-2012, 04:31 PM
1st, quick question. I went carp fishing and was wondering if 1 hook or a 2 hook from a 3 way swivel is better? Is there a difference by having 2 hooks and baits over 1?

Had crazy day fishing. I went to a spot that i visit every so often and fished for carp and bass. No bass today, but I did catch about 5 carp and lost about 4 more during the fight. 20 minutes into my first cast, i hooked 1. In the next 4 hours, i caught a few good ones and called it a day.

The crazy part was about 2 hours in, my bait and wait, i turned around to help my buddy and when i looked back, my rod went bendo. So i try to get to my pole and as i am about to grab it, my pole holder gets pulled horizontal due to the big fish on the line. I take one step to grab the pole and right when i'm about the grab it, the fish pulls it out of reach, i take another step and almost grab it and the fish pulls it out of reach. I take the last step right before the pole is about to fall in the water and reach for it and guess what, the fish pulled the pole into the water. The place i fished the water is a really step drop and the pole disappears! I would have jumped in to grab the pole, but i had my iphone on me and couldnt risk it as i watched the pole disappear.

I was pretty angry, not that i lost my pole, but that a damn big carp took it.

So next i decide to strip down to my bright red boxer briefs and shoes since the area is rocky and i get in the lake to look for the pole, but the water is cloudy and too steep. I'm waist deep and stick my head in the water to look around but i can;t see anything. It was a crazy sight. I probably looked like some crazy weirdo walking around in my underwear and shoes.

Fish 1, me 0

no CPR today.

The pole i had has a cork handle and i thought it should have floated but i guess they don't. That should be made!

DockRat
06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
:Embarrassed: http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/Rayka_Katana/Wishlist/Lingerie%20Land/RedHeartBoxers.gif So next i decide to strip down to my bright red boxer briefs http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/Rayka_Katana/Wishlist/Lingerie%20Land/RedHeartBoxers.gif :Embarrassed:

Lol, Too bad on the rod.
DR

Kokak
06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
This is why I use a BaitRunner type of reel. When you consistently hook into 15+ to 25+ size carp... if you put your pole down, without the baitrunner engaged, it is only a matter of time till you loose everything.

Catching a 25+ carp is like hooking into a pickup truck in 1st gear...

flyhigh123
06-24-2012, 10:27 PM
This is why I use a BaitRunner type of reel. When you consistently hook into 15+ to 25+ size carp... if you put your pole down, without the baitrunner engaged, it is only a matter of time till you loose everything.

Catching a 25+ carp is like hooking into a pickup truck in 1st gear...

Good tip! never heard of a baitrunner, but looking into it, it looks like a good idea! Okuma looks like they have some nicely priced ones. Do you use an indicator when the fish is on like a bell?

Thanks!

Skyler
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Just fish with an open bail. That's what I always do when fishing for catfish and carp.

Fysher
06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I just flyline my doughbait and set my drag. Nothing sounds better than your reel singing in full take-off.

flyhigh123
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Just fish with an open bail. That's what I always do when fishing for catfish and carp.

if you fish with an open bail or low low drag, if the carp felt the line and there wasn't enough resistence to set the hook, do they spit out before you can, or even with openbail/low drag, the hook is set enough where it isn't easy to spit out?

Fysher
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Another thing. If there's a lot of carp around, no need to set the rod down, just cast out with your bait and hold the rod with some slack line. Once the slick line starts to tighten and you feel a little tension, set the hook.

wrestlefish
06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Another thing. If there's a lot of carp around, no need to set the rod down, just cast out with your bait and hold the rod with some slack line. Once the slick line starts to tighten and you feel a little tension, set the hook.

good tip!! I have lost my share of setups to the freight trains called carp :)

Skyler
06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
if you fish with an open bail or low low drag, if the carp felt the line and there wasn't enough resistence to set the hook, do they spit out before you can, or even with openbail/low drag, the hook is set enough where it isn't easy to spit out?

With no weight and an open bail they don't seem to drop it. Just let 'em run with it and set the hook when the line goes taut.

Inept Angler
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
If you're serious about carp fishing, this is a good site to pick up some entry level gear. http://www.bankfishingsystems.com/. I actually bought a rod from him that broke for no apparent reason, and John sent me a replacement free of charge. Good deal considering there was no warranty on it. I bought some bank sticks and alarms as well. Now I can cast out the carp rod, put the thing on the alarm, set the bait runner, and go fish my fly rod or hang out with the gang. The alarm sings to me when a fish is on.

flyhigh123
07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
If you're serious about carp fishing, this is a good site to pick up some entry level gear. http://www.bankfishingsystems.com/. I actually bought a rod from him that broke for no apparent reason, and John sent me a replacement free of charge. Good deal considering there was no warranty on it. I bought some bank sticks and alarms as well. Now I can cast out the carp rod, put the thing on the alarm, set the bait runner, and go fish my fly rod or hang out with the gang. The alarm sings to me when a fish is on.

that is a hardcore site!

just went fishing today, i caught 4 carp, all around 1-2 pounds and my buddy caught 2. Slow day. I changed my recipe a little and used raisin bread instead of normal white. I feel like the raisins changed the bite.

wrestlefish
07-01-2012, 08:57 PM
that is a hardcore site!

just went fishing today, i caught 4 carp, all around 1-2 pounds and my buddy caught 2. Slow day. I changed my recipe a little and used raisin bread instead of normal white. I feel like the raisins changed the bite.

Did you catch more or less with the Raisin Bread?