PDA

View Full Version : pleasant valley reservoir and owens river fish species?

socalbassboy
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
my dad and i are going to go to PVR to fish and camp for a few days...was wondering what kind of fish are in PVR and the owens river in that area? i know theres rainbows and browns...

simijab
06-24-2012, 07:52 AM
In all parts of the owens there are browns and rainbows. In lower owens you will find the occasional bass and alot of carp. And in PVR there are some sac perch also. Anything else would be extremely rare. I have heard there used to be brookies in there but never seen one get caught

simijab
06-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I've never fished PVR in the summer so I don't know how the weed growth is but T/O is up there all times of the year so he might know

socalbassboy
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
oh for sure! thanks!

Viejo
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Everything he said including Chub, Pike Minnow and very big Carp. Also remember that the waters just below PVR reservoir are the Wild Trout Section with single barbless hook and zero take. The bottom end of the special regs water is clearly marked with a sign.

socalbassboy
06-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Everything he said including Chub, Pike Minnow and very big Carp. Also remember that the waters just below PVR reservoir are the Wild Trout Section with single barbless hook and zero take. The bottom end of the special regs water is clearly marked with a sign.

just below meaning past the dam?

simijab
06-24-2012, 06:48 PM
They recently changed regs for everything below the dam to the end of the wild trout section which is about three miles down chalk bluff rd. From the dam to the foot bridge in the camp ground the regs are different and change depending on the time of year. From the foot bridge down is zero take artificial single barbless hook only. Which has been the same forever

socalbassboy
06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
so if i fish north of the foot bridge im good to go?

Viejo
06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Google fishing regulations for the owens river. It spells it out.

socalbassboy
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
yup i did that thanks

FSHNLIC
06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
In addition to above mentioned fish species... there are also catfish, smallmouth bass, bluegill, and sunfish in the lower owens