PDA

View Full Version : Revo Toro HS 60 or 50 ?

P.A.W.
06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Looking to get a nicer reel for my Loomis swimbait rod. I was thinking that since I'll be spooling up with 20lb. mono I might be better off with the 60 but if I can easily get by with the smaller 50 then I'd rather. Any experience that says one or the other?

Nessie Hunter
06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Toro 50 = 300 size Reel spool...
Toro 60 = 400 size Reel spool...

Same exact Reel, wider frame & spool, Both Cast amazingly well.....

I personally went right to the Toro 60.
It is mainly used on Tuna trips for 15/20# line.
Mostly for throwing on Paddy's & Med size Yellow tail & Dorado etc..
With 50# braid & variable top shots (15# to 20#)....

P.A.W.
06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Nessie, I'll be using mine for stripers throwing Lunker Punkers and Producers. No Tuna. I'm thinking the 60 may be more than I need. Bah! I hate indecision....

Which Way Out
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I picked up the 60 about 2 years ago. Had some issues with a design item, but thanks to a few people (Nessie Hunter for one) we got it solved.

I have used mine in the surf world and have to take it apart almost each time and clean it. Sand is not its friend. However on a boat it would be a great reel. That's where mine is going for now on. I just picked up the Curado 300e and will be using it mostly for surf fishing.

Good luck with the one you buy.
WWO

flipmlb
06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
i have the toro 50 but would go for the 60 because of line size. IMO it is better to have more line capacity when the fish decides to run. also if you get 18 01 or 18 02 versions the issue have been fixed. good luck!

P.A.W.
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Good info guys thanks! Problem is nobody near me has the 60 in stock and the operators at BPS and Cabellas wouldn't know a 18 01 from 1776. I may be smelling a 400TE in my future.

Bassnman Mike
06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Good info guys thanks! Problem is nobody near me has the 60 in stock and the operators at BPS and Cabellas wouldn't know a 18 01 from 1776. I may be smelling a 400TE in my future.

I went back and forth between the Toro 50 and 60 until I saw them in person. While I have big hands the 60 still seemed HUGE and seeing how I would be using it more in fresh water, big swimbaits, I purchased 2 of the 50's and was happy with them until I borrowed a friends 400TE. I then sold my 2 Toro 50's and purchased a couple 400TE's, upgraded them with ABEC 7's and am very happy with my decision.

P.A.W.
06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks Mike. Can you please elaborate... what is the ABEC7?

Bassnman Mike
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks Mike. Can you please elaborate... what is the ABEC7?

ABEC 7s are Boca Bearing Ceramic Orange Seal Fishing Reel bearings, the kit contains 4 bearings, 2 for the spool, 1 for the gears and 1 for the crank. The most important ones are the spool bearings.

Nessie Hunter
06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
The Calcutta TE does not have disengaging level wind (impedes/slows Casting).
Does not have short spool shaft (Effects freespool, shaft goes through Pinion gear).
Also has 3 Spool Bearings (one is considered a Pinion Bushing - plastic bushing).
This is also a diff size from other 2 spool bearings...

The TE is a great reel and most anglers will never notice the difference they cast so well...

You can get #7 Ceramics at Smoothdrags.com in almost any size and not in sets.
Dawn at Smoothdrags knows the sizes you will need in 95% of applications.. Or will look it up for you..
Ceramics are mostly wasted in other locations, many feel they are wasted as Spool bearings??? Way to fast = overkill??
But they Work great for spool bearings IMO.
Faster and takes less effort/energy to spin the spool/cast = lighter baits can be used...

The Toro & Revo series has disengaging level wind.
Short Spool shaft (true freespool).
2 spool bearings on the short shaft...

I am by no means a good angler, its just a hobby...
But I can tell the difference in my Inshore & Toro reels and their casting ability.
Its amazing & no Ceramics either!!

Plus you get a multi Carbontex drag stack & 22 # of very smooth drag.

Just the facts & my Opinion.............

Bassnman Mike
06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
I don’t know about the current model Toro reels but the original ones that came out in September 2009 did not have a disengaging levelwind, they had a synchronized levelwind, which were the ones I had before selling them to purchase my TE’s. Below is the review on Tackle Tour. Now don’t get me wrong, the Toro’s are great reels but in my opinion, having owned both, the TE is a better reel. Yes they are more expensive and if money is the issue then the Toro is a fine choice, they will serve you well.

I agree that the TE’s cast well and are very smooth straight out of the box but I’m one of those that like’s to tinker with things to make them better, just look at my truck, HA! Yes there are 3 spool bearings, one of which is a plastic pinion bushing. On my TE’s I replaced the bushing with an ABEC 7 bearing, did this help, I think so but I cant say for sure. On one of my TE’s I did the complete kit, 4 bearings plus the bushing replacement but on my second one I just did the 3 spool bearings because I really didn’t notice that much of a difference from upgrading the gear and crank bearing, again just my opinion. Of course being the tinker-er that I am I take the time to upgrade bearings, polish all contact points and upgraded to Smooth Drags on all of my reels.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarevotoro.html

“Some might wonder if the Toro's synchronized levelwind affects the casting distance or not. Because of the wider spool, having a non-disengaging levelwind is beneficial as the levelwind is always aligned with the line on the spool. When tossing heavy baits the synchronized levelwind does not affect casting distance at all. In fact, the Toro was originally designed for tossing big baits such as swimbaits and large lures for saltwater game.”

P.A.W.
06-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the Tackle Tour link Mike. This thread was becomming a TE vs Toro thing where I really wanted to focus on Toro 50 vs 60. That link did suggest that a 50 is plenty of reel for Bass and Skinner striper while the 60 is likely too much for what I need. You just saved me some dough and Last Chance just happens to have one in stock! So I'll be stopping on my way home from work tommorrow. :)

Nessie Hunter
06-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Here are 2 Toro 50's for $150 each....

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/rods-reels/439045-shimano-abu-garcia-toro-50-reels.html

Bassnman Mike
06-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the Tackle Tour link Mike. This thread was becomming a TE vs Toro thing where I really wanted to focus on Toro 50 vs 60. That link did suggest that a 50 is plenty of reel for Bass and Skinner striper while the 60 is likely too much for what I need. You just saved me some dough and Last Chance just happens to have one in stock! So I'll be stopping on my way home from work tommorrow. :)

Good deal, like I said earlier, I went back and forth between the 50 and 60 then I went into BPS and actually held both reels and the 60 seemed huge compared to the 50.

BTW, if you havent purchased one yet, Tackle Warehouse has the reels in their Demo program where you can actually try out the reel before purchasing one. Go to TW, put in Revo Toro then Click the Demo this reel link located under the picture. Its a great program for trying out new reels.

flipmlb
07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
actually the toro has a non-disengaging levelwind system, another way of saying synchronized levelwind (maybe sounds better) but same thing. i prefer my reels with a synchronized levelwind because of 2 reasons;
1. casts better
2. there is less friction on the line when the fish runs

but on the negative side, for me this is not a big deal, when you decide to service your reel and put the spool back you have to sync it again....tight lines!