PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point double halibut on the Float Tube

Prowler_Tuber
06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Well today was a nice day on the water, temp was 68 degrees, so many fish were in the harbor today from Cuda to White Sea bass. I was testing out some new product today matched with 1/2oz Hammer Jig Heads and MC Swim Baits and ended up with 2 legal Halibut. I was fishing #30 Spectra and a #15 Seguar Floro Leader. Overall a great time, they did not want to get in the net and they gave my rods a major case of Bendo. FYI for those who never fished Dana Point harbor the parking is $10 and there is a tackle shop there just in case you forget something. Have a great week and see you guys on the water.

http://youtu.be/2FGyXbHuoH0

fishshep
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
:Cool: to hear about a place I never fished :Smile:

gotta be some way of ,or place close ,

to get around that ten dollar park stuff !!!

Leejahd
06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Nice double hali Diego! Footage is great.

Prowler_Tuber
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Its worth it, you park and the launch ramp is there. you can park on the street but youll have to carry everything. The prowler isn't that light especially when wet but its close it just depends on what you have to carry I guess.

Prowler_Tuber
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Nice double hali Diego! Footage is great.

Thanks bro we need to fish soon.

Re8elmonk0341
06-23-2012, 08:15 PM
wow, it's $10 now. Thought it was $5. But, that was years ago. Is the spot by the little pier/pirate ship still free to park?

oh

WTG on the double legals

Prowler_Tuber
06-24-2012, 07:32 AM
wow, it's $10 now. Thought it was $5. But, that was years ago. Is the spot by the little pier/pirate ship still free to park?

oh

WTG on the double legals

Thanks, I'm not sure about the pier but I know it was $10 maybe it was cause of the weekend. There was an oldan selling the passes at the gate maybe he was just slanging them lol

evosamurai
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM
what kind of fins do u have?

Cali626
06-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Way to get them at Dana. Great vid!!

Leejahd
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks bro we need to fish soon.
Sure thing man! One of these days I've been itching to wet a line line!

Prowler_Tuber
06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
what kind of fins do u have?

I was using my dive fins they are Twin Blade from US Divers

evosamurai
06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
are you familiar with the us diver cabo fins, was thinking of picking some up today they are like 21 bucks

Prowler_Tuber
06-24-2012, 02:25 PM
are you familiar with the us diver cabo fins, was thinking of picking some up today they are like 21 bucks

No I usually use Hot Spots but I use my dive fins in the salt since they wont rust or break

CPT. Kirk
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I also use Hotspot fins good job on the Hali's I caught a nice on at the LAB about 2 months ago that broke the cross bar on my tube.
http://bassinthehood.com

FKNChristopH
06-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Very stellar outing indeed! Im jealous.. Question, do you have any pictures on how you set up your fish finder? If so, can you PM me? Im trying to rig my tube with one but Im lacking creativity/the know how to wire it up. I dont think thats the fishing buddy, if it is, I stand corrected. Thanks

*shakkaa*

Prowler_Tuber
06-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Very stellar outing indeed! Im jealous.. Question, do you have any pictures on how you set up your fish finder? If so, can you PM me? Im trying to rig my tube with one but Im lacking creativity/the know how to wire it up. I dont think thats the fishing buddy, if it is, I stand corrected. Thanks

*shakkaa*

It is a fishing buddy but I had a Garmin I set up very easy with a wire tuck running off a 12v I'm actually going back to a Lowrance for next trout season PM me and I'll help you out no problem.

Prowler_Tuber
06-24-2012, 03:10 PM
I also use Hotspot fins good job on the Hali's I caught a nice on at the LAB about 2 months ago that broke the cross bar on my tube.
http://bassinthehood.com

Sweet check us out on Facebook.com/socalfishkillers

Mischief
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Cool vid!

Guys about the parking fee...

it is $5 to park there when jumping on a boat.

It's $10 if your launching a float tube, kayak, boat etc...

DockRat
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Great Vid. That Butt jump out of the net was cool.
DR

bloox8
06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice catches!

And thanks for the info on dana point harbor

abovi001
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Did you go with Fish Taco? I was going to join but had a golf tournament in SD , ended up wining but would have rather had two halibut and chance at cudas etc!

Just a note ... I live 2 min bike ride to the harbor tube it all the time ... you can park for $1.00 / hr at the parking lot by the gas dock and launch off the rocks in the corner over there... Can be a little slippery on low tide but not bad at all ...

where'd u fish? I usually drag some baits between bait barge and end of short jetty then over in front of wind and sea and circle back around the sport boats .... looks like a fun day!

i may tube it saturday!

Prowler_Tuber
06-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah I fished with KFT, too much crap to launch by the rocks $10 ain't bad if you split it. Next time I'll hit you up, I'm deff gonna hit it up again, you ever fish it at night?

TUNAVIC
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
That was one cool vid,totally enjoyed it,liked the music too.
It looked that first Hali wanted to get is chompers on your thumb,looks like you guys have that bay wired,WTG.

Cya Tuna Vic

abovi001
06-25-2012, 12:10 PM
I have never tubed it at night however there are lights on most of the night at the bait barge so could be interesting... other than that it is a pretty dark harbor so you'd need some light to stay visible. I have fished the jetties / walk ways/ and all over beaches at nights with the usual stuff caught... sharks, rays, croaker, etc... when its a full or new moon on the super high tide the waters in front of doheny hold some monster Leopards ...

let me know next time you might head out! im open usally after noon on fridays through sunday night

JL
06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
It is $10.00 parking. Best if you have a $10.00 bill or 2 - Fives ---- so you can put the money in the machine when the Gentleman you refer to is not there. Is it the camera lens or camera angle because the 2 halibut sure did not seem to be legal (23 inches) size on the video??? Nice work on the video. I watched a few this week done by Kayakers and Float tubers. I might try that video thing on my Boat to see if i can get some good shots like you did. Thanks for the good report.

Prowler_Tuber
06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
It is $10.00 parking. Best if you have a $10.00 bill or 2 - Fives ---- so you can put the money in the machine when the Gentleman you refer to is not there. Is it the camera lens or camera angle because the 2 halibut sure did not seem to be legal (23 inches) size on the video??? Nice work on the video. I watched a few this week done by Kayakers and Float tubers. I might try that video thing on my Boat to see if i can get some good shots like you did. Thanks for the good report.

Probably your glasses lol The apron is 27" across 18" in the middle and I measured both they were GTG The lens is fish eyed next time I'll make sure to take a pic by a ruler lol Thanks for watching.

dfeivelson
06-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Nice video... tried private messaging you, but doesn't look like it's working?

I fish Dana Point too from a Hobie Pro Angler, and was just wondering what you do with your Halibuts after you catch them?

I caught my first keeper (a 6#er there just this past Sunday 6-24), and I went back to my car and threw him in a cooler on ice.

Do you just put them on a stringer and let them hang off the side of your tube or what?

Prowler_Tuber
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Nice video... tried private messaging you, but doesn't look like it's working?

I fish Dana Point too from a Hobie Pro Angler, and was just wondering what you do with your Halibuts after you catch them?

I caught my first keeper (a 6#er there just this past Sunday 6-24), and I went back to my car and threw him in a cooler on ice.

Do you just put them on a stringer and let them hang off the side of your tube or what?

I mostly catch and release all my fish so I can please the fish gods and catch more the next time I go out the only fish I usually keep is during trout season because they have heart attacks and do not make it.

bassfishing24/7
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Sweet vid prowler,i cant wait to catch my first legal from the Tube!

fishmounter
06-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Nice video and release on the 'Butts! Foo Fighters...Yes!

DotA
07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Probably your glasses lol The apron is 27" across 18" in the middle and I measured both they were GTG The lens is fish eyed next time I'll make sure to take a pic by a ruler lol Thanks for watching.

Wtg on the halibut at dana point, love to tube there!
btw... the apron is not 27" lol someone needs a measuring tape
grats on the halibut tho that takes skills