PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia Fishing

samanderson4
06-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Hay Gang,

I'm going to Sequoia next week and am looking to do a little fishing. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'll be staying @ Dorset Creek Camp ground, about 5 miles from Lodge Pole.

Thanks,

Sammy

Natural Lefty
06-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Hello Sammy. I have been having computer problems among other things so I haven't been posting much, but this computer is working okay now and I just happened to see your question. I also just happened to fish Sequoia with my wife last Friday, June 22 for my birthday which is the day you posted this.

The name is Dorst Creek, not Dorset Creek. In any case, we have found the stream fishing to be very good to excellent even near roads in Sequoia. I did see when checking things out before our recent trip, that somebody did not recommend Dorst Creek for fishing, saying it almost went dry sometimes, etc. I really don't know about that firsthand.

We fished a creek that was full of Brook Trout, almost like a hatchery in places, and probably caught 50-60 between us in 3-4 hours. I am reluctant to state where it is on this forum (although I usually tell everything), but I can tell people in personal messages.

A place which is no secret is the Marble Fork of the Kaweah. We had good fishing near Lodgepole a few years ago. Most were Rainbows, some looked like Golden-Rainbow hybrids, and one was a small Brookie.

I have heard that Stony Creek just north of the park has good fishing too. There are a lot of other small creeks along the road that probably have good fishing, but I haven't gotten around to fishing them yet.

We went to the visitors' center on the way up to check for special fishing regs, and found out the following. Within Seki (Sequoia and Kings Canyon), there are normal regs about 9000 feet elevation. Below 9000 feet, in order to protect native species, anyplace more than 1/4 mile from developed areas are artificials only, and Rainbow Trout, Sacramento Suckers, "Roaches," and some type of Chub must be released -- not that anybody is fishing for anything other than trout. Within 1/4 mile of developed areas, normal regulations apply however. Other trout species aside from Rainbows can be kept as normal throughout the park.

Kings Canyon is spectacular also, and has similarly good trout fishing in creeks in the canyon, plus the river, which has special regs of its own.