PDA

View Full Version : First time 7 day tuna trip....need tackle advice!

ZipperWurm
06-22-2012, 07:56 PM
so my dad, being the generous soul that he is, is taking me on a 7 day tuna adventure out of san diego on a boat called The Independence in early September. i've been on many inshore trips for bass and rockfish, but never for anything like this before. i've got my passport already and am trying to get together as much of my own gear as i can before the trip. my dad has a bunch of rods he's taking for us, but i'd also like to have some of my own. i already have a brand new Avet SX 6/4 MC, but i dont know what rod to match that with? awhile back my dad gave me a big shimano TLD 25 that ill be taking, but that needs a rod as well. i also have a shimano cardiff 400a on an 8ft MH teramar, but is that thing even tuna worthy? not sure i should take it or not? i might pick up one more larger avet reel before i go, suggestions? i know everyone recommends seeker rods....but they are quite pricey, what rods might be a good choice for $200 or cheaper? i've been on the site for the boat and seen their recommendations, and they recommend all the top of the line stuff, which is a bit out of my price range atm :Embarrassed: any advice will be greatly appreciated since im going to be a complete noob to this :LOL:

my avet
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/photo-46.jpg

the TLD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/photo-47.jpg

the cardiff/teramar combo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/photo-48.jpg

Nessie Hunter
06-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Dude, Congrats. You will Love it, so relaxing and fun..

One of my Favorite rods (and I have a lot as you know) is my Ugly stick 6'6" 20 to 50#...
Nice action Tip for casting bait, heavy & strong for throwing Iron & big fish on 25# to 40# line...
The big plus is I dont worry about it. Tough as hell and inexpensive....
I use it for 25 to 40# top shots with 50#braid backing...
live bait, up to 16 oz dropper loop & throw Iron on it...
It has caught so many big fish. I may have to put it on Social Security soon!!

You should also have a lighter set up for Paddy fishing..
15/17/20# rig that casts light bait well..
Freshwater swimbait rod?? 12 to 30# 7' plus...
And rigs to 80#
All the boats have trolling rigs set up..
Dont worry about anything over 80# for trolling...

Dropper loop is not a casting rig. Ball Bat/club and reel will work..
Irons arent a problem either 30# to 40# is good on almost any 6'6" or longer stick...
Keep your eyes open for the Live bait rigs, you need to be able to cast them......

ZipperWurm
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Dude, Congrats. You will Love it, so relaxing and fun..

One of my Favorite rods (and I have a lot as you know) is my Ugly stick 6'6" 20 to 50#...
Nice action Tip for casting bait, heavy & strong for throwing Iron & big fish on 25# to 40# line...
The big plus is I dont worry about it. Tough as hell and inexpensive....
I use it for 25 to 40# top shots with 50#braid backing...
live bait, up to 16 oz dropper loop & throw Iron on it...
It has caught so many big fish. I may have to put it on Social Security soon!!

You should also have a lighter set up for Paddy fishing..
15/17/20# rig that casts light bait well..
Freshwater swimbait rod?? 12 to 30# 7' plus...
And rigs to 80#
All the boats have trolling rigs set up..
Dont worry about anything over 80# for trolling...

Dropper loop is not a casting rig. Ball Bat/club and reel will work..
Irons arent a problem either 30# to 40# is good on almost any 6'6" or longer stick...
Keep your eyes open for the Live bait rigs, you need to be able to cast them......

Thanks for the tips, Frank :Beer Toast:

I remember someone telling me about those big ugly sticks for offshore....i think i definitely might pick up a few then since they are more than in my price range. my dad likes using these rods from "sabre"? he seems to swear by them but ive never even heard of them. that teremar i have should be sufficient for the lighter paddy fishing then, its 8ft and can chuck bait pretty far.

cutbait
06-23-2012, 06:27 PM
YOU SOB!!!!

If I call him dad will he take me?

Have a blast and remember to take photos as this trip will surely be something you'll always remember about Dad!

ZipperWurm
06-23-2012, 07:58 PM
YOU SOB!!!!

If I call him dad will he take me?

Have a blast and remember to take photos as this trip will surely be something you'll always remember about Dad!

there will be plenty photos and HD video...i promise that :Big Grin:

gavin310
06-24-2012, 07:13 AM
my dad likes using these rods from "sabre"? he seems to swear by them but ive never even heard of them.

Aren't Sabre rods the ones you can find at Big 5?

ZipperWurm
06-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Aren't Sabre rods the ones you can find at Big 5?

yeah i think that's where he gets them...

BassinChef
06-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Phenix Abyss rods might worth looking into, I just got an 908 pretty sweet rod and won't break the bank.

sesgia
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
for a this type of trip your TLD and avet is good.
your TLD would be use for fly line or drop loop
avet can be use for casting or fly line your bait

fill them with braided your looking around 30-50$ each
and for line i would suggest 15,20,30,40,50,

as for rods i would say stick with shimano voltaeus there around 50 with life time warranty
not like ugly stick 60+ heavy warranty so much hassle

Daryl
06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
That's an awesome boat and you'll have a great time. The boat will loan you whatever you don't have, you just pay for the line. If you're not going to do long range trips often, why buy the gear? Just borrow what you need from the boat.