PDA

View Full Version : rental boat fish finder

KILLA
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Hey FNN, I'm investing in a fish finder, but it has to be able to be taken on and off a rental boat. Anyone have a solution to this problem solved?

Fysher
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I had mine transducer mounted on a pvc pipe and when I stop the boat, just put the transducer in the water, that was before.

Now what I did is I mounted a 3inch suction cup to the transducer plate. I haven't used it yet but guessing it will work better because I will be able to drive the boat and use the fish finder. I would just press the suction cup to the transom area and you're good to go (fingers crossed)

el_chojin
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I used to do the same thing fysher did too until I found this: a portable transducer mount http://www.cabelas.com/sonar-accessories-portable-transducer-bracket-3.shtml i was going to build my own but I'll probably end up modifying this one if anyhthing. I just got it in the mail yesterday and probably won't use it until next weekend. I'll be sure to post a report of how it went.

Basspro also sells something similar which I didn't find out until I made my order.

Hummingbird makes a portable fish finder as well.

pupfish
06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I used to do the same thing fysher did too until I found this: a portable transducer mount http://www.cabelas.com/sonar-accessories-portable-transducer-bracket-3.shtml i was going to build my own but I'll probably end up modifying this one if anyhthing. I just got it in the mail yesterday and probably won't use it until next weekend. I'll be sure to post a report of how it went.

Basspro also sells something similar which I didn't find out until I made my order.

Hummingbird makes a portable fish finder as well.

I've been using one of these for a few years now and they work well, they will mount at a bit of an angle depending on the angle of the hull, So you need to adjust the transducer angle to make sure it is pointing straight down. I think that if you used a small wood block it could help eliminate that issue and also may help it mount better to those thin aluminum boats.
I can't believe how much they want for these now, it looks like the price has gone way up since I bought mine.
I use mine for when I'm sitting or trolling at low speeds and pull it out when I'm making long runs at higher speeds. I made the mistake of leaving mine on the port side as I was docking on one of those portable restrooms at DVL and bent it all up. I was able to bend it back to shape with a vice and hammer at home and it still works great.

el_chojin
06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
I've been using one of these for a few years now and they work well, they will mount at a bit of an angle depending on the angle of the hull, So you need to adjust the transducer angle to make sure it is pointing straight down. I think that if you used a small wood block it could help eliminate that issue and also may help it mount better to those thin aluminum boats.
I can't believe how much they want for these now, it looks like the price has gone way up since I bought mine.
I use mine for when I'm sitting or trolling at low speeds and pull it out when I'm making long runs at higher speeds. I made the mistake of leaving mine on the port side as I was docking on one of those portable restrooms at DVL and bent it all up. I was able to bend it back to shape with a vice and hammer at home and it still works great.

Have you had any issues with it mounted on at high speeds? It feels sturdy enough and the rentals don't seem to go faster than 10mph. I was hoping to just mount it on then forget about it for the rest of the day. =D

HBAR
06-22-2012, 06:51 PM
check your pm

Hometown
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I mounted my transducer to 1inch X 6 inch board cut the depth of transom and you a c clamp to atach to boat works great portable and cheap