PDA

View Full Version : Where to find trout during summer...?

LuckyCraft420
06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
So a couple buddies and I are already bored with bait and wait cat fishing, and want to throw some plastics again. We plan on making a weekend trip somewhere the 3rd weekend of July, but not sure where to go... We were think big bear, but I wanted to see if others could recommend a good cold water trout lake. We're coming from OC, and don't want to travel too far (3 hours at most). Thanks in advance.

Mr T-rex
06-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Try this website ! http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

fishfinder
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
BBL at night.

LuckyCraft420
06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
BBL at night.

I thought trout fishing at night was pointless... I made a few Ninja trips at night for trout this passed season and got skunked each time... I thought they don't move around/ feed at night? Either way though, we want to fish from dawn to dusk. Probably will be drinking/ already drunk by the time the sun goes down.

fishfinder
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I thought trout fishing at night was pointless... I made a few Ninja trips at night for trout this passed season and got skunked each time... I thought they don't move around/ feed at night? Either way though, we want to fish from dawn to dusk. Probably will be drinking/ already drunk by the time the sun goes down.

We used to fish at night there all the time during our vacations over the july 4th holiday. Fishing in july sucks there during the day. one place we fished was the north side of the dam with lighted slip bobbers fished down about 20' with yellow power bait. was so much fun. but they would be there one night and not the next. another place is some where close to the north shore landing there is an underwater spring. if that is running and you can find it, phenominal fishing. last time we fished it, there were about 20 or so angles fishing there, and when some one limited out or would leave you would move up the line closer to the dock where the spring was, and the bite would get better. trout feed mainly at night, so this is the best time to fish.

LuckyCraft420
06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Anyone have any recommendations of another lake? Preferably somewhere near mountains/ snow melt? I'm also considering the kern river. If I do 90 the hole way I can probably make it there in 3-3.5 hours.

desertstorm
06-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Hemet lake is pretty good right now... not huge trout but definitely a lot of them

LuckyCraft420
06-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I haven't been to Hemet in years, but last I remember it was hot as hell out there. Is the water temps still going to be low enough in July?

angelsfan951
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Green Valley lake right b4 big bear its a small lake but great fishing there and if fishing plastics u can C&R

fishfinder
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
gregory lake

guide
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
So a couple buddies and I are already bored with bait and wait cat fishing, and want to throw some plastics again. We plan on making a weekend trip somewhere the 3rd weekend of July, but not sure where to go... We were think big bear, but I wanted to see if others could recommend a good cold water trout lake. We're coming from OC, and don't want to travel too far (3 hours at most). Thanks in advance.

irvine lake. we caught close to 50 trout last weekend. during the day

desertstorm
06-21-2012, 11:49 PM
I haven't been to Hemet in years, but last I remember it was hot as hell out there. Is the water temps still going to be low enough in July?

It's actually great weather I went 2 weeks ago and it was 36 degrees when we got there at 6 in the morning and warmed to about 70 by 1ish... it was hard to tell the water temp because it was warmer than the air temp most of the day

white belt
06-22-2012, 04:10 AM
gregory lake

+1 but release the browns!

ScottyP
06-22-2012, 06:29 AM
When the summer rolls around, I switch tactics and target warm water fish.
Right now it's all about the carp, but bass and bluegill are good bets as well.
I won't be fly fishing for trout until about November.

luvdaoutdoors
06-22-2012, 06:42 AM

I always do great at helmet in the summer months trolling for easy limits. Lead core line running Thomas bouyants or needlefish.

FSHNLIC
06-22-2012, 06:58 AM
If ur fishing from shore and wanna throw plastics your best bets or Gregory or Green Valley... Good Luck!

TroutOnly
06-22-2012, 08:53 AM
FORGET THE VINE GO TO WHERE THE WATERS ARE COLD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,read the fishhound reports they will tell you whats happening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SlayinRainbows
06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
San Bernardino county lakes are all stocking. Dunno how much further north you wanna go, but up north is trout country